When it rains, it pours

That had to be one scary stop ferret. So glad you and the Mrs were not injured. I've always thought combined braking systems a bad idea.
 
Wow Ferret, all of your years of experience sure paid off on that one!

Thanks goodness no one was hurt!
 
Thread starter
I know Sea, been a heck of a start to May, the bum knee, then the ST then the CB. Getting to the point I'm afraid to wake up in the morning to see what dastardly thing is headed my way. Oh and I started the Budesonide medicine again 2 days ago for the colitis cause that isn't getting any better. That started after the Ark rally last year. It will be a miracle if I make my goal of riding until I'm 70. 2 years and 6 days to go.lol
 
Thread starter
Yea fairly well known over on the ST forum. No one has been killed or injured that I know of, although it's happened to more than a few. For most it manifests itself as a severly dragging rear brake, but for some as in my case, complete lock up of the rear wheel. MIne was fine when I backed it out of the garage for the ride 40 minutes earlier, rolled easy as pie. Lock up was without warning.
 
Getting caught up on posts.
Wow! So glad you handled the skid without incident.

You got me thinking on the battery. Will probably run a load test on mine. Thanks!
 
I'm just catching up too.
Wow, that was a close one to say the least! Glad it turned out well and no injuries to you - or the bike :D :D :D
Also sorry to hear of your medical issues.
I'm heading for 81 so you'll make 70 easily enough. Trust me :P :P :P
 
That's a real reason to be a little freaked out over bikes with some miles or years on them. Having a massive failure at speed is why so many people don't ride, or have stopped riding. A classic bike will want to run hard. I love looking at a 72 350 four, I would be scared to flog one of those like I flogged the one I owned in 1973.
 
Thread starter
How does this look for a hot rotor?

f1e0e948d3c07b15f79c5332c57d1787.jpg


2bdbe47b0d20cd9b889ac321e5a484bd.jpg
 
Ferret that is an amazing photo, thanks for posting that and with your guys help i started reading about the st's brake "behavior", i thought you meant it in a metaphorical way ( had to google the big word ) but sjeeeesj, good on your pilot skills for a safe landing.

Oh and Rocky; you are my new role model !

Very impressive you guys, max
 
The ferret_imp said:
I know Sea, been a heck of a start to May, the bum knee, then the ST then the CB. Getting to the point I'm afraid to wake up in the morning to see what dastardly thing is headed my way. Oh and I started the Budesonide medicine again 2 days ago for the colitis cause that isn't getting any better. That started after the Ark rally last year. It will be a miracle if I make my goal of riding until I'm 70. 2 years and 6 days to go.lol
They say that these things happen in threes. You should be good to go for awhile. :P

I've got to say your brake issue is one of the reasons I like to avoid gadgets and "features" on motorcycles. When you add complexity to any system, you also increase the number of failure modes. I've had a few master cylinder failures over the years, but they were all of the benign sort. A gradual softening of the brake pressure, but usually still usable with a bit of pumping. A failure mode that unexpectedly locks the brake sounds crazy on a motorcycle.
 
The same SMC is used on Goldwings. They got a recall and a modified (slightly) new SMC. ST owners got nada. Mine came with the new SMC and now Ferret will get one unless they go the rebuild route. Which I wouldn’t.
 
wow happy you were not a novice or in a turn with oncoming traffic.....

I would have just opened up the bleed valve on the wheel cylinder and made it home with front brakes only. that rotor is certainly heat treated now !
 
My chain glowed like that when I ran from Edmonton to Syracuse back in 75 on my water Buffalo in October. I finished the field season and was headed home. The next spring running back to Edmonton I blew my new Diamond chain in Indiana. That was the last chain freakout I delt with h. I m expecting nothing but mellow chain experiences with my cb. Having a chain chunk up on you is not a great feeling when you are running hard up an interstate highway with 2000 miles ahead of you to get where you're going.
 
The ferret_imp said:
How does this look for a hot rotor?

f1e0e948d3c07b15f79c5332c57d1787.jpg


2bdbe47b0d20cd9b889ac321e5a484bd.jpg
JEEBUS
FREAKING
CRIPES

I have motorbiked 50? years and never seen a rotor that hot!
MTC coulda lit his cigar on that puppy!
 
Back
Top