When it rains, it pours

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Out riding the ST last night with my wife, and the secondary master cylinder malfunctioned and locked up my rear wheel throwing us into a sudden and unexpected skid. I managed to keep it upright until it stopped. Probably going 30-35 mph. Nice long black squiggly skid mark on the road. Scared the beejeebus out of my wife. Anyhow after a minute it let up and I could roll it. Being 2 miles from home I decided to try and ride it on in. THe rear brake started draggin badly but I kept going and made it into the driveway. The rear rotor smelled bad and was glowing red. Not good. Had to wait awhile before it cooled down enough to release and let me roll it into the garage.

So this morning I rolled out the CB and rode down to the shop to arrange a pick up of the St and get a feel for what this repair was going to cost (probably $600 or so..caliper rebuild, rotor, brake pads etc).

So I head home on the CB the long way, and stop for gas about 25 miles from home. fill up, turn on the key, and nothing. Needles flickered but it wouldn't start. On the third bump start try it fired up and I rode it home. Called the shop and they have a battery. Will head down there after eating a sandwich and pick it up. Stock battery is a month or two past 4 years old.

Hope my truck starts and runs ok lol.
 
Thread starter
Known, but fairly rare issue on the ST's. I had my fluids changed regularly and the smc cleaned, but apparently it's number was up at 109,900 miles.
Was quite suprising, just went BAM...skidddddddddddddd lol. No warning at all.
 
Ferret, do you ever flush the fluid on your ST? I know it will get done now, but just wondering. And yes I did mine last month. What a pain on the ST.

I do it every 2 years on both my bikes.

Glad you didn’t get hurt and were able to get home.
 
Thread starter
Yes popgun, regularly. More than every 2 years.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes popgun, regularly. More than every 2 years.
Sorry, for some reason I didn’t see the post where you said that. :blush:
 
Wow, that will wake you up in a hurry. Glad you were able to stop safely.
Just replaced my CB battery too, figured since it is a 2013 I’d do it in the driveway at my leisure for peace of mind.
 
Thank God that you and Mrs Ferret made it though this ordeal safely. Great you keep your cool and kept the ST upright!
 
Thread starter
I've ridden out skids before on old drum brake bikes so I knew what it was supposed to feel like, but that was a new experience for Mrs Ferret. One she doesn't want to repeat.

Well the good news on the CB battery is the new battery is installed it starts like a champ again, and it didn't go out while we were at the rally lol. Would be tough to get that baby out without the little nylon handle.Not a lot of spare room in there. BTW the price on these things is way beyond what their size would indicate..good lord. Old one lasted 4 years 2 months and just under 38,000 miles.
 
Nice save ferret, those original batteries are the best gel batteries i have seen on motorbikes, mine is 8 years old and when i measured the capacity by charging/discharging the battery it still had half ( 5 ah ) the capacity left, considering the vibration and bumps on the lead plates that is good going.

For the rear brake;only three things are preventing the piston to move "home" after pressure is released; dirt and oxidation, a stiff square "o" ring ( which does not slide but deforms a bit and grabs the piston when pressure is applied ) and a blocked very tiny hole just in front of the rubber cup in the master cilinder, so small i could not see it in my old cb550 ( as it was blocked ) and had to see a photo to identify the place where it must be before carefully opening it up with a fine needle after which the air bubbles came out and i could bleed the system.

Good to see you guys having better weather over there and an avalanche of new riders.
 
Good save, Ferret. Glad you and Mrs Ferret are OK.

What a nasty experience.
 
Max,

The ST has a secondary master cylinder on the left fork. It will activate a piston in the rear brake when the forks compress. Noted for being a problem in the ST’s.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Max,

The ST has a secondary master cylinder on the left fork. It will activate a piston in the rear brake when the forks compress. Noted for being a problem in the ST’s.
and Goldwings. There was a recall on the Goldwing SMC but no recall on the ST's.

Honda's idea of safer braking in that no matter what you do, both front and rear brake get used, every time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Known, but fairly rare issue on the ST's. I had my fluids changed regularly and the smc cleaned, but apparently it's number was up at 109,900 miles.
Was quite suprising, just went BAM...skidddddddddddddd lol. No warning at all.

Well time for a new bike! What the heck.. glad y’all are fine!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ferret, good save. Sorry the Mrs. had to experience that but I'm glad you have the skill and experience to handle it. The skid, that is. I have no idea if you have the skill and experience to handle the Mrs.!

Serendipity about the timing. I brought the K1200RS to the dealer today to replace the brake and clutch fluid. It's been three years, and while I live in an arid climate, the ABS pumps / modulators on these bikes are $2000 to replace and tend to fail if the fluid is neglected. I'll be curious to know the cause of failure on your ST.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Max,

The ST has a secondary master cylinder on the left fork. It will activate a piston in the rear brake when the forks compress. Noted for being a problem in the ST’s.
Thanks popgun, we learn.....
 
Back
Top