When it rains, it pours

Well stated 3rdbike. Glad to hear your cancer treatment was successful.
Mickey, I had no idea how debilitating your illness is. I hope a treatment plan may be found to keep you riding longer. Growing old is not for the feint of heart but it is better than the alternative. I may have a few more years riding left in me, a 3 wheeler might extend that for a while. When the time comes to sell the bikes I'll use the money to buy those expensive Canon lenses I've always wanted and go birding more.
 
I gotta tell you, these stories are all inspiring. I turned 60 last year and hadn't ridden a bike in over 25 years and finally decided that was long enough. I had stopped riding for a variety of reasons but I had promised myself when I stopped that I would ride again, just didn't realize it would take so long. Like Ferret I hope to keep riding until I'm 70, hopefully longer. I had forgotten how much I really love it and riding again has brought a joy that had been long dormant. I hope we all get to keep enjoying this for a good while longer!
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I gotta tell you, these stories are all inspiring. I turned 60 last year and hadn't ridden a bike in over 25 years and finally decided that was long enough. I had stopped riding for a variety of reasons but I had promised myself when I stopped that I would ride again, just didn't realize it would take so long. Like Ferret I hope to keep riding until I'm 70, hopefully longer. I had forgotten how much I really love it and riding again has brought a joy that had been long dormant. I hope we all get to keep enjoying this for a good while longer!
Thank you, KiowaEagle! That is the reason I shared.
 
Well George showed up again at our Not-A-Rally on a Aprilia Caponord. George is 83, walks like he is about ready to fall over (even worse this time, I think his gyro's are spinning down). He is an inspiration.

Otherwise; they don't seem to make old guys like they used to......:P
 
Rboe_imp said:
Well George showed up again at our Not-A-Rally on a Aprilia Caponord. George is 83, walks like he is about ready to fall over (even worse this time, I think his gyro's are spinning down). He is an inspiration.

Otherwise; they don't seem to make old guys like they used to......:P
Don't say that to Rocky!
 
Sorry Ferret...hope you get some treatment that's makes it tolerable.

You're an inspiration....I want to be just like you when I grow up ;-)

I bought my 2014 after being diagnosed with heart disease, cataracts, shingles, new titanium hip....all in about a 1 year span.

I'm riding the wave right now....feeling pretty good....just bought motorcycle #2 at age 62.

I'm looking to ride as many places as possible over the next few years!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Only plan on riding bikes a couple more years. Ok... I'm going to be completely honest with you guys. Please forgive me. I turn 68 this Friday. My goal has always been to ride until I am 70 (given that my family history indicates 78-79 for the end of the line). That will be 55 continuous years of riding on the street and 10 years of racing motocross. It's been a GREAT time on 2 wheels. but.... I am having some medical issues. Of course the arthritis in the knees, but that is minor. A knee replacement can fix that. More importantly I have been battling Microscopic Colitis for just under a year now, ever since I returned from last year's rally in Arkansas. It's an incurable disease from what I understand, and it's kicking my butt. Sick every day. Stomach cramps 24/7, diarrhea 6-8 times a day starting about 3 am. Can barely eat. Can barely sleep. I've gone from 184 pounds down to 168 pounds. Have zero energy. Depression is starting to set in, and the thoughts you have when you are depressed, are downright scary. I'm seeing a Gastroenterology, and on meds, but, as you can tell, they are not getting the job done. My family doctor (a motorcycling friend of 35 years) is considering sending me to the Cleveland Clinic, or to a hospital at the University of Indiana to see if anything can be done. I just want the misery to be over with. It wears on you when you are miserable every minute, of every hour, of every day...day after day after day. Trying to stay upbeat through all of this.

I am NOT looking for sympathy, I have had a GREAT motorcycling career, and a wonderful life. My wife and I have toured this country, Canada and Europe for 45 1/2 years. We have had GREAT adventures, ridden to some of the most beautiful places on earth on the best roads available for motorcycling on some truly great motorcycles. I am not regretting one minute. Sometimes, other things in life just catch up with you. Things you can't avoid and have little (if any) control over .

I'm still going to try and ride 2 more years, but right now, that's a day by day decision. I'm going for a CB ride in 1/2 hour. I love riding. I actually feel my best when I'm riding, and not thinking about things. I have 6 more states to hit to have ridden to all lower 48 states and have my dealer trying to find me a left over FJR so I can try and get that done in the next 2 years. After that, who knows. Probably pass the FJR on to my son. In the meantime I will figure out what to do to the ST and determine what I want to do with it after that.

Sorry to lay this all on you guys, but if you can't talk to your friends, who can you talk to eh? No Boo Hoo's for Ferret please!

BUT... if anyone knows anything to help with microscopic colitis, or know someone else that's battling it with success, please PM me. I'd be VERY interested in the info.
Mickey, I know little about your condition and reality is what it is so I won't offend you with baseless platitudes (at least I find them offensive) but as we briefly talked about before I was in a deep depression last fall before my surgery. I was probably only 1-2 days away from taking the one way drive into the woods.

Sometimes it is easier to talk to someone who is not so emotionally invested in us (I guess that's why therapists exist?), if you need to talk to someone who has been in dark places you can have my number.
 
Back to the first post.

Using my CB1100forum decoder ring (the only one there is!) I have forseen that the Ferrets sig. line MAY be changing slightly real soon now. More to follow as the ring reveals more...
 
Thread starter
:rofl: Popgun, are you cyber spying on me again?
 
Who me? :angel:

That’s why Guth gave me the decoder ring :D
 
Geez Louise ferret! I’m sorry you’re in such agony...I hope you find the right doctor who can help you. The Cleveland Clinic has a lot of good ones.
 
ferret that is terrible medical news and i feel your pain.
had to look up what you have and thought it was what i caught in SE Asia and penicillin got rid of it. seriously you sound like the perfect candidate for medical marijuana . it will settle your stomach , alleviate the pain , give you an apatite and make motorcycling more enjoyable ...
" so i am told " :cool:
 
I’ve heard a number of reports of the medicinal benefits of marijuana for people with colitis in all its forms. I’m not completely sure why our legislators have fought so very hard to deny access to the medicinal variety.
 
I use medicinal marijuana to help treat my back and knee pain, I use the strains that have CBDs only and no THC so I don't experience any psychoactive effects. Since starting it last summer I have cut my opiates in half.

It has been quite effective in my case, although I ingest it as there is no way I could ever smoke it.
 
W/R, I've been researching this myself and have a number of friends who have been using medical marijuana in various forms for their own health issues. My understanding is that if one is experiencing any amount of psychoactive effect (getting "high" from ingesting the plant in any form or fashion), they are not experiencing the real benefit of cannabidiol (CBD). CBD oil created from the hemp plant is what one would use to avoid the psychoactive effect, as opposed to cannabis oil (containing THC). It's a shame that there is such a stigma around this topic, but I'm glad that you have experienced benefits from it.

I've reached a point with chronic pain that I have become much more open to topics that I might have previously considered taboo in some way, certain from a point of discussing them at least. If it means more time spent riding and less time in bed, then it's worth discussing.
 
Caught up on this thread. Ferret, like everyone else I am very sorry to hear about your condition that is giving you so much discomfort. I am no medical professional (obviously), and know next to nothing about colitis, but I do know a bit about the benifits of marijuana. As a self proclaimed stoner, I could go on and on about how it has enhanced almost every aspect of my life. Taboo or not, legal or not, if it works, it works. The legal part is just a matter of time, I have no doubt that within the next 5-10 years legislation will allow individuals who truley want and need it to treat disease and illness to have access to it anywhere in the country. It really is a miracle plant IMO that has almost innumerable benefits. Not telling you to go out and score a bag from some dude on the corner this instant, just dont close the door on the notion of it. Do some research and keep an open mind to it. Good luck and best wishes on your recovery.
 
Ferret, I know nothing about Microscopic Colitis, but something about depression. Treat that seriously, and separately. Meds work, even if your one of those guys like me who try and avoid them. Take care of your mind and body with equal fervor. Something tells me you’ll be riding for a long time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I had a law enforcement career from 1982 to 2011. In my pre employment polygraph and subsequent interviews, I told the truth, that I had socially used Marijuana when I was in College, ( 1970-1974). When I got to the final interview with the Chief, he asked me if I was worried about being disqualified for hire because of it, and I said I was worried. He started laughing, and I asked him what was funny. He looked me in the eye and said " we just got out of the 70s, do you have any idea how hard it is to find anyone that has never done it?". He went on to say it was more important to him that I was honest about it, and asked if he hired me, would I ever do it again. I said no, and haven't touched it to this day.

That said, I am currently healthy, retired, and no longer bound by oath. Legal or not, at this point in my life, if I was in pain and thought that using a medical Marijuana product might relieve that pain and give me better quality of life I would not hesitate to give it a try. I have had several friends that have gone through chemo discomfort, cancer pain, and various other significant quality of life reducing ailments, that experienced good to unbelievably positive results from using non THC medical versions of Cannabis.
 
The sudden onset of the illness is puzzling. Just a thought...if not done already, maybe the doc could test for the presence of a parasite(s). I work with two guys who went to Mexico and came back deathly sick as you describe. Turned out that's what it was. It can be caught from fresh vegetables apparently.
 
Thread starter
Test has been done Stichill. My family DR. originally thought along those lines. He actually thought I had drank some contaminated water in Arkansas. After normal courses of remedy for that and not clearing up, he sent me to a gastroenterologist who did the colon biopsies which revealed the colitis.

As far as marijuana, first off other than speeding ocassionally, I would never do anything illegal, and currently, it's not legal in Ohio (but will be soon I think), but other than relieving some discomfort symtoms, I don't think it would do anything toward actually making me better, and for me that's the end goal.

I fault no one for seeking legal courses of remedy that relieves pain or discomfort but I want to be healed, not just doped up. (truth is I don't know exactly what it does to/for the body and doped up may be an inaccurate term). Being 68, my only knowledge of marijuana comes from late 60 early 70s college experience, and I didn't care for it then. (Same goes for alcohol and cigarettes btw ). Now if they would do a study and the study showed promise toward healing what I have, then I'd be all over it. In the meantime, I'll stick with a strictly controlled diet and the prescribed expensive pharmaceuticals that keep the symptoms (mostly) in check, and pray that it somehow miraculously goes away lol.
 
Back
Top