What's the buzz...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The 1140 cc four is certainly smooth... but at upper revs and highway speeds is there any buzziness to the bike? In the handle bar, the pegs, seat?
 
I'm fairly new to the bike too. It's definitely not a high-speed cruiser, which is fine considering that's not what most buyers are looking for. On my 2013, it seems most happy around 50-60 mph, but I know the 6-spds have a higher final drive.

As for "buzziness", it's nothing you wouldn't find on most other bikes, at least in my opinion. Despite Honda's built-in "character" with the cam, it's a really smooth ride. Without reading what I've read, I would never, ever suspect this engine was anything less than sewing-machine smooth. If you eventually find that you disagree, there are aluminum handlebars and heavier bar-end weights that can further reduce vibration, but I really can't see them ever being necessary. I've been riding a lot lately, and this thing gives me an ear-to-ear grin every time. The folks at Honda did a fantastic job with this thing.
 
1000 + mile trip to Death Valley from Phoenix. Some bits at 80mph, no buzzing. If I squeeze the tank with my knees I do feel some. But never manifested its' self during the trip.
 
I-4's by nature do not have perfect primary or secondary balance so their is some vibration which manifests itselt ar higher rpms. For all intents and purposes though it is so minor that it could hardly be considered a problem. Like Rboe says squeeze the tanks with your knees, or really clamp down on the handgrips and you may feel some of it, but you really have to look for it. I never notice it.
 
Buzz is assessed subjectively. Unless you rig the bike with a vibe meter that is. It worries some, others it doesn't. For me the CB cruises all day at 120kph, loaded with gear, and eats up the miles (or kms) buzzlessly.

Cheers
 
My 2014 has no buzziness. I took it up to 95 mph way out in the country for a moment the other day and the rpms were still below 5000. The sixth gear on the 2014s really do a good job of reducing rpms.
 
I find my 2013 with the 5 speed exceptionally smooth. There is some minor buzz over 3K RPM but hardly a bother. My Moto Guzzi was buzzy below 4K RPM which forced you to ride in the lower gears below 65 mph. Very annoying.
 
Great engine. But those that say they have no buzz are lucky, this bike is not a cruiser. More of a errand runner Ihmo. Mine buzzes badly after 55) mph handlebars seat pegs etc. My Road King Custom thumps but not after underway
 
No buzzing with my '14. I've given it the nickname "velvet locomotive." Really nice ride. But it's not the smoothest bike I've owned -- that'd be my K1200RS. It's uncannily smooth on the highway, regardless of gear (4th, 5th, or 6th). Like an electric motor. Sometimes I forget to upshift.
 
obleo_imp said:
Great engine. But those that say they have no buzz are lucky, this bike is not a cruiser. More of a errand runner Ihmo. Mine buzzes badly after 55) mph handlebars seat pegs etc. My Road King Custom thumps but not after underway
I'd have your CB checked out. Extremely uncharacteristic of a modern 4 cylinder Honda engine. My other bike is a 6 cynlinder BMW that is ultra smooth and my 2014 CB is almost as smooth. I put Grip Puppies on the grips and feel no vibes in the handlebars and don't feel any vibes in the pegs. You really should not have noticeable vibration in your CB1100.
 
I did notice buzz through the bars on my '14 standard that, after more than an hour, made my hands go numb even when consciously keeping a light grip. I put on aftermarket grips and the problem was solved.
 
Two good points: We have our own limits dealing with vibration over different frequencies. Advice will be very subjective there. You indeed may have a mechanical problem, certainly something to consider.

All that said; you may have a bike with a motor that does not fit your physiology. It happens. My CB350F was one such bike for me.

Hopefully this a minor issue and you'll get it sorted out.
 
Thread starter
Apologies to the group if I've unintentionally opened a can of worms here.

I've got 55 years of riding & motorcycle ownership under my belt. I've had some smooth runners and I've had some real thrashers. My 1975 CB550F was one of the smoothest, quietest running machines I've ever experienced. My guess is the CB1100 will not only match, but will exceed that machine.

Thanks again for all the feedback...

.... qg
 
No a can of worms, just honest critique. I have the grip puppies and they helped somewhat. But to state that this bike -motor combo is buzz free is a little bit of a stretch. I still love this bike but I use it for what was built for twisties , back roads, city commute etc. Not a highway star.
 
As has been stated many times before, except for looks, this bike does not excel at anything, but it's darn good at just about everything.

I have not noticed excessive vibration and what vibration there is does not cause me any distress, but perhaps that's because my knees start aching before my hands go numb.
 
I feel some very minor buzz in the bars at highway speed. I don't think I would have even noticed it, but my CB750 is dead smooth by comparison.

I put some foam grip covers on and it's hardly noticable.

Having cut my motorcycling teeth on medium sized (650-750) 360 degree parallel twins, I-4 vibes are virtually non-existent to me :P I guess it all depends on what you're used to.
 
Back
Top