What we're hearing about our CB's?

Yesterday a 22 year-old volunteer firefighter cleaned my dryer duct and performed a fire safety inspection of my townhouse. We started talking about bikes, and he said he wanted a new bike, but he didn't want a sport bike or a cruiser. He said he wished someone still made a standard bike (obviously, he didn't know about Bonnies, etc.; I owned a 2001 Bonnie).

I removed the cover from my Deluxe, and as soon as he saw it he said, "That's it." He's saving his pennies for a CB1100.
 
ZenBiker_imp said:
Yesterday a 22 year-old volunteer firefighter cleaned my dryer duct and performed a fire safety inspection of my townhouse. We started talking about bikes, and he said he wanted a new bike, but he didn't want a sport bike or a cruiser. He said he wished someone still made a standard bike (obviously, he didn't know about Bonnies, etc.; I owned a 2001 Bonnie).

I removed the cover from my Deluxe, and as soon as he saw it he said, "That's it." He's saving his pennies for a CB1100.
I'm 22. The 2014 standard is perfect for guys like us. We want a bike, but not a sport bike or cruiser....something understated, where you get to enjoy owning a motorcycle without being in everyone's face about it.
 
Last spring most people asked what year it waw and complimented me on a great restoration. Now people comment on how the "retro bikes" look so good but I have gotten remarks that they should have made them 1600s or so.
I remember when the original 750 was a large motor and the XS11 Suzuki GS were seen as monsters.
 
Buffalorider_imp said:
Last spring most people asked what year it waw and complimented me on a great restoration. Now people comment on how the "retro bikes" look so good but I have gotten remarks that they should have made them 1600s or so.
I remember when the original 750 was a large motor and the XS11 Suzuki GS were seen as monsters.
I've always considered 750 CCs just about right for my kind of riding and most of my bikes have been 750s. Liter bikes of old had more power (and weight) than I needed and consequently marginal gas mileage compared to the smaller 750s. They were great fun, just more than I needed on a day to day basis.

I was pleasantly surprised that the CB11 gave me the extra horses and turned in better fuel mileage than my CB750 (nod to technology :thumbsup: ). Still, if Honda had offered the CB in a 750 instead of 1100 I would've snapped it up just as quickly.
 
MFGUSA_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
A guy on a HD bagger saw me stepping off the CB. He said "Hey man, your fly is open."
Sounds like a lead in to a very funny retort. Any takers?
Sounds like a lead in to a very funny retort. Any takers?
"So I said, that's not my fly, it's my Honda CB1100, they're kinda small, didn't you hear?"
 
Thread starter
I'm at a light today... a younger guy pulls up 2 lanes over, no one is between us. He yells out...'hey, what year is that?' I yelled back... It's a 14, brand new. All I heard back was... WOW. That put a smile on my face... :)
 
Compared to my Cruiser it is small. When people see this one that's the first comment. My answer is that's why I changed bikes. I'm passed trying to impress others, but older guys who are up to date on modern motorcycles seem to know what it is.
 
I stopped on this chilly morning for a very early breakfast in Wheaton, Ill., one of the suburbs of Chicago. I'm sitting in a booth with only the window and a sidewalk between me and the CB in the diagonal parking slot facing the restaurant. A perfect spot to people watch as well as stare at a beautiful machine. With only a few folks out this early it was pretty much just me and the waitress - and my bike a few feet away when a very elderly Asian (my guess is Japanese) couple walked slowly past my window, arm in arm, on their way into the restaurant. Very nicely dressed, they may have been on their way to a church service nearby. As they passed my window I could see the old man's head turn as he kept his gaze on the bright red Honda gleaming in the early morning light. Suddenly he pulled on the arm of the lady I assume was his wife, turned completely around and, still staring at the motorcycle, broke into a smile from ear to ear. He pointed at it as he was talking to her. He looked positively delighted. After a few seconds of him sharing his thoughts with her and her smiling and nodding in agreement, they both turned back and came into the restaurant. I have no idea what was said, but for some reason, I think the CB made the old man's day. I know he made mine. :shy:
 
Cool story Short Timer, made me smile. Wish we could have known what the man was saying. Was he a motorcyclist in his youth? Or did he just want to be? I wonder.
 
Thanks, post deleted, spammer banned. Thanks for the help fellas
 
Back
Top