What to use cleaning rear wheel chain grease?

Yeah, I spray it on a rag and wipe the wheel. No WD on the tire.
AZ makes a valid point though. Don't spray it on!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yeah, I spray it on a rag and wipe the wheel. No WD on the tire.
AZ makes a valid point though. Don't spray it on!
Is that because it will harm the tire, or that it will make it slippery?
 
AzBob_imp said:
The problem with WD40 near the rear wheel is you have to make sure you don't get any on the tire. I prefer brake cleaner to get rid of that mess.
That brake cleaner stuff is pretty harsh. Are you sure it won't damage the wheel's paint/clear coat?
 
Main concern is Slippery. You do not want to make your tire slippery! No WD on it, no Armour all, no tire shine. On the tread part anyway.

If you spray it on, you will almost surely mist the tread and that is a bad thing. Don't want it on the disk or in the brake pads either...
 
OK, I was aware of that, I just was wondering if there was another reason I hadn't heard about.

I do recall about 8 or 10 years ago a video made the rounds on the internet of a PA police officer that detailed his police Harley for a parade, complete with Armor-alled tires and, you guessed it, he went down while in a slow speed turn.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Main concern is Slippery. You do not want to make your tire slippery! No WD on it, no Armour all, no tire shine. On the tread part anyway.

If you spray it on, you will almost surely mist the tread and that is a bad thing. Don't want it on the disk or in the brake pads either...
No armour all on the seat either. Don't ask me how I know this.
 
Novice_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Main concern is Slippery. You do not want to make your tire slippery! No WD on it, no Armour all, no tire shine. On the tread part anyway.

If you spray it on, you will almost surely mist the tread and that is a bad thing. Don't want it on the disk or in the brake pads either...
No armour all on the seat either. Don't ask me how I know this.
Did you ever live in AZ? Years ago my former neighbor Armor-All'd his seat, even after I advised against it. After slowly rolling down the street, he turned around, goosed the throttle and promptly shifted to a prone position with his legs hanging off the back. Unfortunately, he was twisting the throttle as well as hanging on. When he realized things were going from bad to worse, he just let go. Don't think he ever made that mistake again.
 
Similar to seeing a "Wet Paint" sign and having to touch the paint to see for myself...

The first bike I got with ABS I just had to see if the brakes were truly better and "anti lock" and went to a large empty parking lot, accelerated to about 40 and then forcefully engaged the brakes. Well, the bike came to an almost immediate stop, and I slid forward on the seat like I was shot out of a cannon, slid right up the tank, and the only thing saving me from being launched off the bike was my helmeted head crashing into the windshield and I recall my neck twisted to an unnatural degree. It really seemed like a good idea at the time.
 
Geez there are some great yarns on this forum. :D
 
Well that just changed my thought of testing my ABS as this is my first bike with it. Guess I will wait for a real world experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Well that just changed my thought of testing my ABS as this is my first bike with it. Guess I will wait for a real world experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric..I've hit the brakes pretty darn hard on my 14 dlx, hard enough I thought the ABS might kick in, but so far it hasn't that I know about. Never felt any pulsation in lever or pedal. I'm almost afraid to see how hard I have to apply the brakes to make it kick in. i'd like to try it in a big parking lot but then again, like you, I just might wait for the real world experience.
 
Funny Ferret, I've done the same and never got the ABS to kick in. I was getting worried that the tires might slip or flatten or something. Darn good brakes compared to my 24 year old BMW which I thought at that time were great to to my previous bike. I was happy with those brakes until the CB came along. The BMW has no ABS and I can lock the brakes fairly easy. The CB just stops a lot faster.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
The problem with WD40 near the rear wheel is you have to make sure you don't get any on the tire. I prefer brake cleaner to get rid of that mess.
That brake cleaner stuff is pretty harsh. Are you sure it won't damage the wheel's paint/clear coat?
That brake cleaner stuff is pretty harsh. Are you sure it won't damage the wheel's paint/clear coat?
While I can't guarantee it won't have some long-term effect, so far, it doesn't seem to have damaged either of my bikes' wheels.
 
This is what I use -
[/img]
Won't hurt paint rubber or plastic, just don't smoke or inhale -
You all know WD 40 has fish oil in it right?
[/img]
[/img]
Clean :banana:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Well that just changed my thought of testing my ABS as this is my first bike with it. Guess I will wait for a real world experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric..I've hit the brakes pretty darn hard on my 14 dlx, hard enough I thought the ABS might kick in, but so far it hasn't that I know about. Never felt any pulsation in lever or pedal. I'm almost afraid to see how hard I have to apply the brakes to make it kick in. i'd like to try it in a big parking lot but then again, like you, I just might wait for the real world experience.
On clean, dry, sticky pavement, a motorcycle with good brakes is unlikely to lock up the front wheel. More likely, the motorcycle will rotate about its front axle (e.g. "stoppie/endo" -- the rear wheel will come off the ground), assuming moderate rake.

One shouldn't wonder what max braking capability is... they should be practicing it in a clean, (relatively) deserted parking lot.
 
Thread starter
AzBob_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Well that just changed my thought of testing my ABS as this is my first bike with it. Guess I will wait for a real world experience.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric..I've hit the brakes pretty darn hard on my 14 dlx, hard enough I thought the ABS might kick in, but so far it hasn't that I know about. Never felt any pulsation in lever or pedal. I'm almost afraid to see how hard I have to apply the brakes to make it kick in. i'd like to try it in a big parking lot but then again, like you, I just might wait for the real world experience.
On clean, dry, sticky pavement, a motorcycle with good brakes is unlikely to lock up the front wheel. More likely, the motorcycle will rotate about its front axle (e.g. "stoppie/endo" -- the rear wheel will come off the ground), assuming moderate rake.

One shouldn't wonder what max braking capability is... they should be practicing it in a clean, (relatively) deserted parking lot.
On clean, dry, sticky pavement, a motorcycle with good brakes is unlikely to lock up the front wheel. More likely, the motorcycle will rotate about its front axle (e.g. "stoppie/endo" -- the rear wheel will come off the ground), assuming moderate rake.

One shouldn't wonder what max braking capability is... they should be practicing it in a clean, (relatively) deserted parking lot.
...or, on the other hand, the (relatively new) rider grabs a handful of front (non-ABS) brake, the front wheel locks up, the rider doesn't modulate, and the front end washes out, dumping rider onto said clean, dry, sticky pavement. :s
 
Back
Top