What to use cleaning rear wheel chain grease?

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
What are you guys using to clean your rear wheel of the grease thrown off by the chain? I've hardly ridden mine yet, and my rear wheel is covered with a clear-ish, extremely sticky mess. I've never seen anything like it. I've normally just used an old dry bath towel for that job, but this is like dried Petroleum Jelly - it's going to take some kind of cleaner to get it off. I don't want to use something that'll mess up the polished rim of the wheels, so I thought I'd better see what the concensus here was...
 
I always have a gallon of kerosene on hand to clean the heavy grim from the swing-arm, center-stand and rear wheel area. Then i go over it with pluxus (which is for plastic but works great) which adds a shine and protection.
 
Both WD-40 and Kerosene work well. Plexus or the Honda Clean & Polish work great for adding a bit of shine. I use Dupont chain lube and never have any trouble with fling. I cleaned off that goop that Honda put on the chain as soon as I got mine home from the dealer.
 
I removed the chain guard (it’s held on by two screws) and scrubbed the chain with Motul Chain Cleaner and a chain brush. I also cleaned factory lube off the inside of the chain guard, and everywhere else it had been flung, with Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Then I sprayed Liquid Performance Racing Chain Lube (molybdenum) on the chain and wiped the excess with a rag. The LP chain lube dries and doesn’t fling. Well, I do find a small amount of gunk inside the chain guard after a while but nowhere else.

I'm happy with the Honda spray. It removes bugs and greasy road grim from everything and leaves chrome, mirrors and clear plastic parts shiny and streak free.

I got everything from Amazon.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys. WD-40 was my first thought, but I didn't want to risk harming the polished/clear coat part of the wheel.

HikerToo_imp said:
is it the OEM grease still coming off or a chain lube you are using that is coming off?
Just the OEM grease. I've only put a few miles on my new bike so far, nowhere near enough to be doing any re-lubing yet.
 
I just use a spot of chain cleaner on a rag. I figure it was made to break down chain lube/wax so it'll clear same off the rim. I haven't lubed mine yet since it only has 340 miles. But when I do, I'll do a quick clean and re-lube @ 500 mi. After that, I'll most likely just lube every 500-600 until about mid-way through the season.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wd 40 on a rag
All I gotta say is WOW! and thanks for the cleaning tip. I hadn't cleaned the rear wheel yet and it was severely coated with dirt and grease thrown from the chain. I got out the WD-40 and a towel and expected to work at it. Was I surprised when all I had to do was spray or wipe on, and it all melted off. A quick wipe with the towel and it was shining and spotless!
 
Yeah, WD on a rag on the rear wheel takes all the grease/gunk right off too!
 
Thread starter
To check back in on my own thread, I have to say that I was amazed at how well and easily the WD-40 worked. Almost frickin' magically, to be honest!
 
Yeah, and unlike wheel cleaning products that say after using you have to rinse it thoroughly with a forceful hose stream, if a light film of WD-40 is left behind after wiping with a rag, so what? It's a good thing.
 
After trying a lot of different stuff on wheels ( because when we had the store I was changing about 10 tires a day) and I always
cleaned up the wheel for the customer I found that air filter cleaner used on dirt bike filters worked fast and did not leave a film and is safe on rubber and plastic. When I would get a real bad one I would take the tire off and then take the rim to the sink and use S100
wheel cleaner. - It kept the customers coming back!
 
redbirds_imp said:
Both WD-40 and Kerosene work well. Plexus or the Honda Clean & Polish work great for adding a bit of shine. I use Dupont chain lube and never have any trouble with fling. I cleaned off that goop that Honda put on the chain as soon as I got mine home from the dealer.
My three favorites as well. In fact, that Pro Honda Cleaner/Polish is sex in a can. I love going out and slathering it up...then the slow but urgent polishing...finally left with a glowing and glistening finish.
 
The problem with WD40 near the rear wheel is you have to make sure you don't get any on the tire. I prefer brake cleaner to get rid of that mess.
 
Back
Top