What makes the CB brakes so good?

Calcb_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Of all the bikes I’ve owned, I like the CB1100 front brakes the best. I’ve had bikes with some pretty impressive hardware, Brembo monoblock, radially mounted, blah blah blah, but it’s the CB with the humble, well-designed axial-mounted caliper that has the best feel when properly bled.

No slack, immediate response and very linear ramp-up. The bike with the second best front brakes was my old CB500x (neither had ABS). I’m thinking Honda must do something with the master cylinder to make the front brake feel so good, and it is frustrating that other bikes with supposedly “better” brakes don’t actually feel any better.

Side note—I feel a similar way about the front forks too. Despite not being inverted, they work better than a number of “fancier” fork setups I’ve had, though they don’t quite stand out as much as the brakes.
 
Buddy just bought a Bimmer, F800R. The front brakes are so squishy! It really was so surprising how much I am now used to the big CB1100 stopping so well. I’ve owned sports and standards all my life and never thought much about the CBs brakes until feeling other new bikes. Good on Honda.
 
Calcb_imp said:
Of all the bikes I’ve owned, I like the CB1100 front brakes the best. I’ve had bikes with some pretty impressive hardware, Brembo monoblock, radially mounted, blah blah blah, but it’s the CB with the humble, well-designed axial-mounted caliper that has the best feel when properly bled.

No slack, immediate response and very linear ramp-up. The bike with the second best front brakes was my old CB500x (neither had ABS). I’m thinking Honda must do something with the master cylinder to make the front brake feel so good, and it is frustrating that other bikes with supposedly “better” brakes don’t actually feel any better.

Side note—I feel a similar way about the front forks too. Despite not being inverted, they work better than a number of “fancier” fork setups I’ve had, though they don’t quite stand out as much as the brakes.
The ABS brakes on my CB500XA saved my life. I was on a 4 lane highway when a woman behind me in the other lane beside realized she was going to miss her exit. Instead of slowing down and changing lanes behind me, she speed up and headed right for me. If I had not spotted her out of the corner of my eye, she would have run right over me.
 
Nortoon, I take it that, when you grabbed the brakes, the ABS cut in?
 
I agree about the brakes, but the forks on my 2014 dlx are nothing to brag about, actually, I think they're not very good at all. I'm hoping that an oil change will make an improvement. I just don't have the time to rebuild the forks like some members have posted. If anybody has a recommendation concerning the oil (viscosity, brand, volume), I would like to hear it.
 
I sold my 2014 forks when I put my 2017 on- I forget what I sold them for but it was several hundred. $400 maybe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nortoon, I take it that, when you grabbed the brakes, the ABS cut in?
Yes. The ABS allows a for an emergency stop without any wheel lock-up which can cause a slide and loss of control. This stop was quick and straight. Unlike the CB1100 the CB500XA only has one front disk. But it weighs about 50 kilograms (110 pounds) less than the CB1100 which I am sure helps in an emergency stop.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Dave- buy the 2017 complete forks, swap em on in 10 minutes- sell your stock fork to recoup a good amount of the new forks cost.

If you go to http://www.babbittsonline.com you can use the code eddie12 for 12% off.

Well worth it.
I'm sure the 2017 forks would be much better, but they cost over $1,000.00! And who is looking to purchase a set of used, 2014, CB1100 forks? If this was my only ride I would definitely be investigating my options much closer, but as it is, I have my VFR800 to ride also (which has much better forks, and they're stock). I might consider the Gold Valve fork kit, but I'm really not interested in doing that much work on my bike at this time, especially after having just recently replaced the IACV and inspected the valve clearances (I would rather be riding than wrenching). Thanks for the feedback guys.
 
Not even close to $1,000 last I checked, a little over $700 shipped.

And yes people will buy the 14 forks- mine sold in very little time. Recouped somewhere around $400 if I remember correctly.

And very little time and wrenching to swap- maybe 15 minutes.

I’m not speculating, I’ve done it, real world real experience.

Your choice- but don’t make it out to be more expensive or more work than it really is, if only for other people that may be reading this thread.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I bought mine for about $ 750 (including shipping ) and it is a very easy job to do.
I did keep the 2014 old forks as I always keep the parts I take of as you never know if the next owner wants to go back to stock.
Will not sell my CB 1100's for a very long time as I love them !
 
Thank you for the links. Pretty much explains everything. Correct me if l am wrong but it seems like you would have to swap the forks and triple clamps to gain the complete advantage over the previous design.
 
I love the brakes on my CB1100. They've saved my bacon in emergency stops a few times now. Had they not of been so effective my CB and I would have become a massive hood ornament.

Here in Portland, if I was out on the freeway and had to brake hard enough to actually engage an anti-lock braking system then I would surely be totally clobbered from behind, likely by an entire chain of vehicles.

I always find it interesting the struggles some have with the factory seat and suspension on these bikes. Never for the same reasons though. For some they are too soft, for some they are too hard, for others they are just right. Do you think that there's any chance at a remake of a children's classic?

Goldilocks and the three CBs, lol.
 
DBM_imp said:
Thank you for the links. Pretty much explains everything. Correct me if l am wrong but it seems like you would have to swap the forks and triple clamps to gain the complete advantage over the previous design.
Perhaps for the steering you may have to but the triple tree has absolutely no bearing on the suspension quality of the forks. Which is substantial.
 
All I can see is the clamps being a little higher- which if anything other than looks, would allow a bit more flex between the tubes- exactly the opposite of the other thread with the super brace.

I’ve seen the same thing on sport bikes, bicycles, etc. One year the factory makes a new ‘upgrade’ of a stiffer frame only to change back to more flex later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top