What makes the CB brakes so good?

PowerDubs' pid='214096' dateline='1533176779 said:
Not even close to $1,000 last I checked, a little over $700 shipped.

Ok, you've got me thinking, but I have questions:
1. Did you swap onto a 2014, Deluxe model?
2. Which 2017 model is the correct one - CB1100CA AC, or CB1100NA AC?
3. Everything matched exactly? The triple clamp accepted the 2017 forks completely? Nothing was modified or altered?
4. Did the ride height change at all? If you measure the uncompressed height of the 2014 and the 2017 forks are they exactly the same from the center of the axle to the top? Doesn't the 2017 model have a smaller diameter front tire?
5. I see the prices for the 2017 forks are $401.37 each. When you add tax and shipping, even with the 12% discount this should be over $800.00. How do I get the 12% discount?
6. Do the forks come filled with oil?
7. Can you provide me the part numbers of the forks you purchased?

Sorry about so many questions, but an $800.00 investment is substantial to me, and I want to make sure before I leap. Thank you for your feedback.
Ok, I researched the specs for the 2014 and 2017 models. The fork diameter is identical (41 mm), the rake is identical (27.0 degrees), the trail is identical (114 mm), the wheelbase is identical (58.7 inches), and the front tire sizes are identical (18 inch). You guys have got me seriously thinking about this. Can you please explain why exactly the 2017 forks are that much better? I am sure I am not the only one who would like to hear a direct comparison from someone who has performed the swap, and it sounds like two of you have done this. Is the ride smoother and more compliant? Does it improve the handling? Do they dive less under braking? Thank you guys.
 
Dave, somewhere on the forum is a link to an explanation of why the new dual bending forks on the 2017 bike are so much better. I’m blowed if I can find it. Sorry. Someone else maybe able to help.

I don’t know whether the EX and RS forks are the same. I suspect you want the EX ones. That’s the CB1100CA.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Dave, somewhere on the forum is a link to an explanation of why the new dual bending forks on the 2017 bike are so much better. I’m blowed if I can find it. Sorry. Someone else maybe able to help.

I don’t know whether the EX and RS forks are the same. I suspect you want the EX ones. That’s the CB1100CA.
I think the internals are the same, but there are external differences (like calliper mounting...) as RS and EX use different brakes and wheels.
 
the diameter of the forkpipes are different RS/EX......i am not sure, the technology inside is the same ........and the RS has different (brand ?) calliper+ mounting ....its some more powerful
 
Thanks for your feedback Cormanus, jtopiso, and alprider. I did some more research: The front axels are the same, the front fenders are the same, but the steering stem and the wheel spacers are different. I need to check on the brake calipers next.
 
Sorry I am not digging around for more info, I currently have my bike in 1 million parts and I’ve been slowly working away at that.

What year and model is your bike?

The 17 standard forks are a direct swap for a 14 standard bike. Much better more comfortable ride.

This new Showa Dual bending valve technology is used on many more modern bikes, including Harley’s, other Honda’s.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The 17 standard forks are a direct swap for a 14 standard bike. Much better more comfortable ride.

Hi PowerDubs. I believe you and Houtman when you say you've swapped the forks on your 2014 with forks from the 2017 model. But, as stated above, your swap works with the "2014 standard bike", and my bike is a 2014 Dlx. I remember reading a different post, on this forum, where somebody purchased a set of 2017 forks and they didn't fit his bike because (I believe) the brake caliper mounts were different. Houtman, did you perform the fork swap with a 2014 "Standard" (single exhaust), or a 2014 "Deluxe" (dual exhaust)? I am seriously considering the fork swap, but the last thing I want to do is buy the 2017 forks and discover they do not fit the 2014 Dlx model. The part numbers for the calipers are different for the 2014 and 2017 bikes. It appears that PowerDubs performed the swap with a "2014 standard". Houtman, can you please let me know if your swap was performed with a 2014 standard, or a 2014 Dlx? Thank you guys.
Ok, I found the post I was looking for. It was Houtman who posted on a thread titled "2013 ABS forks upgrade: NOT". Here he states that the 2017 forks will not fit a 2013, and "...I will put the forks on the 2014". Houtman, can you please confirm if your fork swap was performed on a 2014 standard, or a 2014 deluxe? Thank you.
 
I put the 2017 forks on my 2014 CB 1100 DLX , fitted perfectly !
However the 2017 forks do NOT fit the 2013 with ABS as these have a 3 pot caliper brake and the 14 and 17 only 2 pots.
 
Part numbers will be different for something as simple as a color change. For example you can have the exact same side cover or caliber and if one is black and one is silver the part number will be different.

All you need to know is if the DLX uses the same physical caliper shape as the standard.

If I remember correctly someone in a post somewhere mentioned that the ABS bike had visually different calipers but that may have been something I read from used to be in Florida which I believe was a bike imported from overseas so I am not sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect – beat me to the answer. While I was typing I guess. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Houtman_imp said:
I put the 2017 forks on my 2014 CB 1100 DLX , fitted perfectly !
However the 2017 forks do NOT fit the 2013 with ABS as these have a 3 pot caliper brake and the 14 and 17 only 2 pots.
Thank you Houtman.
 
Hi Guys (who have swapped their forks), just a couple of more questions:

Can you please confirm the part numbers of the 2017 forks that fit the 2014 Deluxe? Are 51400-MGC-JB1 (right) and 51500-MGC-JB1 (left) the correct part numbers?

Do you have any information concerning the 2017 fork maintenance and repair? I am especially interested in the amount of oil these shocks require, and I don't want to purchase another Honda Factory Service Manual to find out.

Thank you.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Are people changing fork oil? Most people I've ever seen wait until the seals start leaking. ;)
I change mine. On the flip side, I don't change brake fluid. Waited 19 years and 100,000 miles before changing VFR800 brake fluids. 1991 Toyota truck still has original fluid. Maybe the climate in San Diego has something to do with the life of the fluids.
 
Dave_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Are people changing fork oil? Most people I've ever seen wait until the seals start leaking. ;)
I change mine. On the flip side, I don't change brake fluid. Waited 19 years and 100,000 miles before changing VFR800 brake fluids. 1991 Toyota truck still has original fluid. Maybe the climate in San Diego has something to do with the life of the fluids.
I change mine. On the flip side, I don't change brake fluid. Waited 19 years and 100,000 miles before changing VFR800 brake fluids. 1991 Toyota truck still has original fluid. Maybe the climate in San Diego has something to do with the life of the fluids.
Brake fluid LOVES moisture
 
Houtman_imp said:
Somebody asked for the parts numbers for the 2017 forks.

51400-mgc -jb1
51500-mgc-jb1
Thank you Houtman. I am off on a two-week business trip, but when I return I think I am going to order these.
 
Babbitsonline website, literally the one with the word online in the url, or use their phone app and the code eddie12 for 12% off


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs' pid='215247' dateline='1534083426 said:
Babbitsonline website, literally the one with the word online in the url, or use their phone app and the code eddie12 for 12% off

I ordered my new forks Saturday, from my local dealer. My price was $40.00 per side higher (not including the 12% discount), but I am sure I saved something on shipping. I do a lot of on-line shopping, but when it comes to OEM parts I like to support my local dealer because they have been giving me a very good discount for the past 20 years.

All I need now is to find someone willing to scan and send me the section in the 2017 Factory Service Manual for the fork rebuild.
 
Installed the new forks today. Went for a short (6 mile) test ride and immediately noticed a difference. I felt every bump in the road with the stock forks (even small bumps), but these new forks make the small bumps disappear. They also dive less under breaking. This is just my initial impression, but I am glad I performed the swap.
 
Back
Top