What makes a motorcycle boring?

Doing everything TOO well when there is not enough accel to make up the excitement factor.

Same holds true for cars. Once the car or bike is soo good that you don't have to think about anything, feel anything, hear anything... it better have more than enough scoot on the throttle, at least for me.

Example- I was on a jet just a few days ago- and it was perfectly smooth for quite a while. I mentioned to my wife that if someone built a small room, blocked out the sound,- you would never know we were going several hundreds of miles an hour, 30,000+ feet above the ground. You literally could take someone who had never been on a plane- and in that room, in those moments- they would think they were sitting in a house.

The CB from the factory is too quiet, and just a bit too tame on the throttle for me. The staintune took care of the sound, and I'm considering a larger rear sprocket to make her a bit more aggressive. With the 6-speed the revs are already plenty low.
 
expectation
peer pressure
not living up to what your buddies ride or drive or want you to ride
we live in a world where it means more to us that other approve then our own happiness
if you dont believe, next pack of Harleys that ride by, how many black street glides with bat wings will there be
look how many of our bikes are for sale out there with only a few hundred miles on them.
we all know its a graet all purpose bike and it really is.
nope it wont beat a superbike and it wont carve a corner like a 600, and the damn think wont tour
ok now you can hate on me
so why did we all buy one
FOR THE LOVE OF MOTORCYCLING
not to impress other people
guys with nice bikes and cars just need to listen to there hearts and love what you love not someone else
every bike is good at something and there are a lot of bikes to pick from
so find one that works for what you want or buy more so you have one for every occasion
that way you cant be bored
wow that was not aimed at anyone on here just a generalization of what i see with people
 
I've never ridden a boring motorcycle. Some were more exciting than others but none were boring...going all the way back to the Benneli's, CZ's and Rokon's of my youth.
 
Boring is the want of something - anything - interesting and engaging. If the only thing interesting about a motorcycle is the fact that it has two wheels and an engine...it's probably boring. If the only thing engaging about a motorcycle is that it's not a car...it's probably boring.

b450c1fd6dfe653717e40527a69ee3cb.jpg


Despite a given motorcycle being boring...the act of riding is seldom if ever boring, even when riding a boring motorcycle.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Boring is the want of something - anything - interesting and engaging. If the only thing interesting about a motorcycle is the fact that it has two wheels and an engine...it's probably boring. If the only thing engaging about a motorcycle is that it's not a car...it's probably boring.

b450c1fd6dfe653717e40527a69ee3cb.jpg


Despite a given motorcycle being boring...the act of riding is seldom if ever boring, even when riding a boring motorcycle.
Stichill, why do you have a Honda NC700S pictured? Boring bike? Or boring looking? I've ridden an NC700X, and thought it one of the more fun and engaging bikes. But the styling is not why I'd own one.
 
I rented an NC750S for a ride through Germany and Switzerland and found its car-like SOHC twin engine with 6500 rpm redline to be unremarkable from a fun standpoint. To me, a big part of a motorcycle's intrinsic appeal is the character and performance of the engine. I found the brakes wooden, the suspension lacking in feedback, and the styling forgettable at best and ugly at worst.

7d7e2df7e6c751b0242f8be526ce5bf3.jpg


From a utilitarian standpoint it's a good motorcycle, with great fuel economy, a roomy front trunk, and a low center of gravity. The low-revving engine is probably very durable. Excellent commuter bike, like a motorcycle version of the Toyota Prius.

For touring, the location of the fuel filler under the rear seat was extremely inconvenient, requiring removal of strapped-down luggage to refuel.
 
I certainly agree with the inconvenient fuel filler system and the abrupt redline. My use had been as a commuter bike, so maybe it was in it's element. I almost bought one instead of my 4th V-Strom. I guess I like twins and triples and sixes. The CB1100 is my first 4 cylinder in 15 years, and I hate to say it, but the engine is not the most exciting to me. The overall bike is wonderful, but I can't imagine buying another four.
 
If there are boring motorcycles I've not ridden one. Most of today's bikes are faster and better than those of our youth. Boring styling, yes.
 
Like Frulk I find them all exciting. I love riding. Some may not perform as well as others, but once I let out the clutch and start moving, I'm pretty excited to be on two wheels.

I do have a favorite. The inline 4, especially liter size. Does everything I want and thrills me while doing it. I've had singles ( two stroke and four stroke) ... twins ( parallel and V, and ridden opposed Vs and boxers two stroke and four stroke)...... triples ( two stroke and four stroke).... and fours (inline and Vs...both Parallel and transverse)...automatics, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds, electric start and kick start and I just keep coming back to those large 4 stroke I-4s, but in truth I enjoy riding them all.

Character doesn't mean as much to me as efficiency, as a matter of fact much prefer the latter.
 
A bike is boring when you're not scared by the crappy brakes failing to stop you in time... boring is when you change its oil and it doesn't intermittently drip or spill it between changes, consume it and require you to have to top it off or smell burning oil as you ride it. Boring is when you hop on it and start the engine and it's drama-free and fires right up without hesitation and therefore there is nothing suspenseful about it.

All jokes aside, a bike might be boring if it doesn't stir you while looking at it while it's stationary. It's gotta wake something up inside of you because let's face it, the point is not merely to have the most efficient and pragmatic mode of getting from point A to point B in this day of texting and reading while you drive folks littering the roads. Each day we hop on, a bike must make you feel alive and proud to be on it.

To be honest, the only thing I found boring about my CB from the factory is the sound and that's just a personal preference. I don't need a straight piped cacophony raising the devil as I ride by, but wanted more "texture" to the sound and a bit more volume.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
i think someone on here said
if you dont turn around and look at it after you get off and walk away, you bought the wrong bike
 
There are no boring motorcycles

Only boring motorcycle riders..

My other bike beside the cb1100 is a Harley Dyna Wide glide.. it's big,
It's loud, and it's slow, next to the cb..

But it's not supposed to be like or do what the cb1100 can do.

It's like comparing a mustang to a f150 pickup... I'm sure some would say the f150 is boring.. Under said comparison, it might be, so might a Camry, if that (mustang) is your frame of reference. Doesn't mean the f150 isn't a good truck, it's just what it's supposed to be
 
gtmn_imp said:
i think someone on here said
if you dont turn around and look at it after you get off and walk away, you bought the wrong bike
:thumbsup:

Not boring = looks good and fun to ride. All things being equal, I would prioritize fun to ride over great styling.

But, thankfully, compromise isn't necessary.
 
The cb1100 is hugely exciting for me. However so was the ctx700 (another one of hondas civic esque bikes). I loved that bike for a year and rode it every chance I got. I loved touring, hitting twisties, and trying to get the hole shot at lights.

When I was shopping around for my second bike a guy at one shop tried to steer me away from the CB1100 and towards a bonneville t100. He was using the "character" arguement. He described the cb as being "very honda".

Performance wise I think the cb1100 gives the T100 a good thrashing and still pulls harder than the t120. I imagine I could have been happy on either but he gave the impression that the honda was boring, I guess I have a lot of motorcycles to ride before I'll get to the point that my cb is boring, and I turn around and look at it every time.
 
Back
Top