What do you do when you get a brand new bike?

White Dog_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
First thing you do with a brand new bike is - drop it. After that you can relax

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
VLJ_imp said:
He's in the UAE. His market's 2014 Standard may be unchanged from the 5-spd 2013 model.
My bike is Japanese spec, and definitely not bought brand new, I only buy crashed bikes. Besides 5-speeds are the fastest
c6d62709ae416419531e94ea7bcbb81a.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
White Dog_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
First thing you do with a brand new bike is - drop it. After that you can relax

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
VLJ_imp said:
He's in the UAE. His market's 2014 Standard may be unchanged from the 5-spd 2013 model.
My bike is Japanese spec, and definitely not bought brand new, I only buy crashed bikes. Besides 5-speeds are the fastest
c6d62709ae416419531e94ea7bcbb81a.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Is that how you lost the 6th speed? In USA the '14 CB1100 STD is a 6 speed-at least mine is.
VLJ_imp said:
He's in the UAE. His market's 2014 Standard may be unchanged from the 5-spd 2013 model.
My bike is Japanese spec, and definitely not bought brand new, I only buy crashed bikes. Besides 5-speeds are the fastest
7cbba3525d74d5a7421c0d32857e0d17.png

OK. I thought it was a typo.
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Some UK members recommend a coating of ACF50 for added rust protection. With a new Bike I always check for proper fluid levels and chain adjustment. More than once I've received a new bike with an over fill of motor oil and once a full quart under fill. Where I live it is not uncommon for dealers to use "unskilled techs" for setup. When I get a new bike home I'll go over the fasteners spot checking for anything loose and check torque on axle nuts and triple tree. Actually had a caliper bolt fall out of it's mount on a Guzzi once. Oh yeah, hair drier and Goo-gone for all the tank stickers.
 
tod.branko' pid='284364' dateline='1609267504 said:
First thing you do with a brand new bike is - drop it. After that you can relax

This actually happened to me. I purchased my brand new 1974 Honda XL250. I saved for this bike delivering newspapers, cutting lawns, and shoveling driveways. My very first ride was off road (I didn't have a license), and was right after a rain storm. I had ridden maybe 100 yards, and stopped to examine a large wash-out caused by the rain. I carefully parked my brand new bike on the side stand and walked closer to examine the damage to the trail. While I was checking things over I heard a crash; my kickstand had sunk into the dirt and my bike toppled over. Put a large dent and scratches in the tank! I was heart broken.
 
Dave_imp said:
tod.branko' pid='284364' dateline='1609267504 said:
First thing you do with a brand new bike is - drop it. After that you can relax

This actually happened to me. I purchased my brand new 1974 Honda XL250. I saved for this bike delivering newspapers, cutting lawns, and shoveling driveways. My very first ride was off road (I didn't have a license), and was right after a rain storm. I had ridden maybe 100 yards, and stopped to examine a large wash-out caused by the rain. I carefully parked my brand new bike on the side stand and walked closer to examine the damage to the trail. While I was checking things over I heard a crash; my kickstand had sunk into the dirt and my bike toppled over. Put a large dent and scratches in the tank! I was heart broken.
Ooooo, even to this day, I kinda felt that. :-/
 
The ferret_imp said:
check oil level and tire pressure at the dealership before you leave

Top it off with gas on the way home..and oh yea, take the long way home
I realize that it gets old, me agreeing with almost everything the ferret has to say, but once again he's nailed it. I bought my 2013 CB1100 new. The dealer showed me the oil level and air-pressure of the tires before I left. It was, and remains, my only new motorcycle purchase. I don't believe that I've ever been so excited by the purchase of anything else in my life. For me that first ride home after picking the bike up from the dealer was glorious — despite the fact that it was pouring down rain and I was entering rush hour traffic in the city.
 
Soon, a Padawan you will not be! :thumbsup:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You should totally disassemble the bike and then put it back together ensuring each fastener is torqued properly. Ok, don’t do that :D

Its a Honda. Ride it. It would be good to check the engine oil level, chain tension and tire air pressure. These bikes like the air pressure to be correct.

I’ll let others talk about protection of metal bits.

And read the owners manual ;)
How funny to read these lines. This is exactly what I did - to the horror of my Mom - with my very first bike... exactly 46 years ago, in her kitchen. She was speechless, like never before or after again. The bike was put back together the next day. She couldn't believe that either.
Tev62_imp said:
Use FS365 as opposed to that sticky mess ACF50 - http://www.scottoiler.com/products/refill-lubes-protectors/fs365-bike-protector/

Like anything it gets good and bad press but I like it. It can be sprayed over the bike post wash while it is still wet. It is not as long lasting as ACF50 but much less sticky, it is a very fine film.
Could you let me know since when you are using FS365, how much you use, and any other observations ? And ... does the fine-print say anything about materials on which one better doesn't spray it ?
 
J3gq, in response to what not to use it on, follow Tev62’s link and scroll to the bottom of the screen.
 
Oh I missed that, Thank you ! But it sounds more like a "lawyer's recommendation" (don't look at us when you brakes don't work) than a materials (in)compatibility list. Would I want this on the gaskets / seals of the forks ? That's why I was hoping for some insight how and how long Tev has used it. (I know ... I am too critical at times ;) )
 
Back
Top