Ferret gets a new ride

The ferret_imp said:
Thanks I couldn't find any left overs except for a 2017 which was only $300 less than the 18 so I bought the 18.

I think your goal is awesome. It takes a LOT of riding to put 100,000 miles on a motorcycle. I put 100,000 on my ST and I rode about every rideable day for the last 5 years and many cross country trips.

I've put 40,000 on my CB, but at 68, I don't envision making it to 100K before I am done riding.
Yes , you will, you almost ride a year round...
...just one smart advice:: keep weather terrorist on a short leash, crank up few miles more per ride and do not worry about over 9 u r mine :P

:clap:

pb
 
Thread starter
lol you pay too much attention PB
 
Ferret, have you ridden the FJR enough yet to give us some views on how you're finding it? Or have I missed it somewhere?
 
Thread starter
No Cormanus, only 450 miles. Been grounded the last few day and won't be riding the next few. Having trouble with that right knee again. Can't ride, can barely walk. Yesterday I went to Ortho doc and had first of 3 injections spaced a week apart in the knee. Trying to stave off a knee replacement as long as I can.
 
The ferret_imp said:
No Cormanus, only 450 miles. Been grounded the last few day and won't be riding the next few. Having trouble with that right knee again. Can't ride, can barely walk. Yesterday I went to Ortho doc and had first of 3 injections spaced a week apart in the knee. Trying to stave off a knee replacement as long as I can.
Don't put it off too long Mickey. I had a left knee partial replacement in 2010 and it has given me 8 years of pain free mobility. Having some discomfort in the knee again but nothing I can't live with.
 
Thread starter
birds...saw what my wife went thru with her knee replacements. Not looking forward to it. Ole just had a knee replacement and is now relegated to riding a cruiser ergo bike. Not sure I could handle that either.
 
Mickey, the decision to have knee surgery is a tough one. You can talk to people who had the procedure and find out that everyone had their own experience with the recovery process and end product, good or not so good. Like birds, I had my left replaced (January) 2010. The surgery went very well, perfect alignment and recovery. My Physical Therapist told me that my knee had a great range of motion at my preliminary visit. My right knee, which is also worn out, rarely bothers me since it no longer compensates for my left knee. I am very blessed.
I choice my orthopedic surgeon after talking to friends, who had the procedure, hospital nurses, and my Physical Therapist and got a good idea who are the best surgeons.
IMO, other factors that effect recovery is weight, physical fitness, and age. I certainly didn’t excel in these conditions, but I wasn’t that bad either.
I’m here if you want to talk. Good luck with your decision.
Mike
 
Ferret, I've recently made the decision to go ahead and have my left knee replaced. I haven't yet set a date but it will be later this year or early next. It will be bummer as I'll be off the bike for a bit, but I'm hoping to be able to ride it again in the future. The best advice I can get is what others here have said: get your weight down and religiously do the therapy afterwards and it should make a difference to your life.

Here's hoping.
 
So, I am going for the same soon, and would say to everyone and myself: build your muscle strength & start therapy before knee replacement and continue right away after operation = no regrets + 100 % returning to my 2014 CB.
Good luck George

:thumbsup:

pb
 
Despite a career in floor covering mine won't be for my knee but my hip. Hoping to stave it off for at least 5 years more though. I've had friends that had their knee done and they're actually walking the same day. We're lucky we can even consider these options. It wasn't so long ago that it wasn't even a possibility.
 
Everybody I’ve known or met that had hip replacement said they wish they had done it 5 years sooner.
 
Knee and hip totally different operation.:P
Knee is much more complicated , recovery longer and patient satisfaction lower than hip... but you are right, most of them say so, and very few regret

pb
 
Thread starter
My wife has had both a hip replacement and both knees replaced. Her operation to back to work for the knees was about 6 weeks. Her operation and back to work for the hip was 2 weeks.

My left knee isn't much better than the right, but it still works without pain most days. The right is, and has been, shot for quite awhile. I had microscopic surgery on it a few years ago but it's back to bone on bone. The cortisone shot I had back on May 8 lasted about 7 weeks I think. With the colitis my weight has dropped from 184 down to 169.
 
Ride that bike while you can, then hang a chair on the side and ride a few more years. My knees reacted favorably to a knee pillow at night, profound difference. Hips - I wish I had a suggestion, impedes riding and definitely not comfortable .
Let me know if y’all are in the neighborhood.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Everybody I’ve known or met that had hip replacement said they wish they had done it 5 years sooner.
I had a previous neighbor that was an orthopedic surgeon and he told me never to get surgery unless you can’t stand the pain anymore. I’m no where near that point although I can see the path ahead. I can wait.
 
I had left knee replacement January 31 and so glad I did. Weight control and religiously attending physical therapy has me feeling better than I have in the last 15 years. I’m 56 and just this past week I began walking for exercise again, 4 miles daily, totally pain free. Cutting grass, golf, biking etc is a joy once again...

Good luck Cormanus, Ferret and others who decide to have the procedure done. I’m fortunate to have an R.N. For a wife, who guided me through the process of selecting the right Ortho doctor.
 
I hurt my right knee kneeling on a tiled floor in the kitchen replacing a burnt out burner on the stove. Dumb! I had a kneeling pad in the garage but didn't take the time to go and get it. It doesn't bother me during the day, but I do hear it clicking sometimes.

Unfortunately at night it aches just enough to keep me awake. Tried the usual ice packs, heat pads, and a number of menthol rubs and sprays. While in the drug store at Walmart Penny suggested Liv Relief. It takes a few minutes to rub it in, but unlike Voltaren it does relieve the pain. It does not smell or stick to clothing like the menthol ones. Not cheap, but you don't need much for each application.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon I have been trying some Voltaren left over from my wife's knee surgery but it hasnt helped much. maybe I will try the Liv Relief. THanks for the tip.
 
Back
Top