What do you do for storage?

vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
 
DBM_imp said:
vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
Please send pics (of the rack/box, not your wife). :)
 
Django_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
Please send pics (of the rack/box, not your wife). :)
Please send pics (of the rack/box, not your wife). :)
Da. Please share. :)
 
DBM_imp said:
vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
But... why?

:huh:

Why would anyone glue a pad to the front of anyone's wife?
 
jtopiso_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
But... why?

:huh:

Why would anyone glue a pad to the front of anyone's wife?
But... why?

:huh:

Why would anyone glue a pad to the front of anyone's wife?
Ah ya - lol. The clarity (or abuse) of the English language. :)
 
Vito, This is my distance set-up. Hard box takes about 8 minutes to mount or remove.

f7673bf9e73fe2b19e18e8c4e715ab04.jpg


cadd6bba18c766ed2085eb96edb4587c.jpg


I almost never carry anything on the bike during the day. When I do, the option of choice is a small backpack or one of 3 magnetic tank bags (from small to very large). I'm slowly working on sourcing racks that will allow me to mount aluminum panniers to go with the top box. That may be overkill as my current set up still has unused space available (such as the room on the seat behind me to put a large dry bag).

One note: almost all of the soft panniers for sale out there will allow the strap to be run under the seat but I rarely see any of the forum members do that. In some cases those straps can have the soft pannier zipped off (keeping the strap in place...very convenient for quick on/off mounting). The ones in this pic don't do that.
 
Django_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
vito_imp said:
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
I bought the Honda OEM chrome rack. Expensive, but high quality and super strong. I then zip tied a $5.00 Walmart backpack to it. This worked fine until l could fing a top box that l liked. After searching around for a while, l bought a $25.00 plactic Dewalt tool box and bolted it to the rack. Works great, and doubles as a backrest for my wife with a pad glued to the front.
Please send pics (of the rack/box, not your wife). :)
Please send pics (of the rack/box, not your wife). :)
If one of you tech savy guys can post pics for me, l can text or email them to you. PM me your contact info.
 
Bah! DBM - you've got a configuration that is incredibly configurable with deep corners. That is much more useful than curved top boxes. Need to make quick errands to the store or load up tools to help a cross-town friend - you're ready.

So a question might be: Does the box quick-disconnect? (hard to tell from images)
 
Yeah, but my Givi is aerodynamic so I get better gas mileage :angel:
 
If you carried a vinyl LP in a black top box for an hour in our summer sun, it would be unplayable.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Bah! DBM - you've got a configuration that is incredibly configurable with deep corners. That is much more useful than curved top boxes. Need to make quick errands to the store or load up tools to help a cross-town friend - you're ready.

So a question might be: Does the box quick-disconnect? (hard to tell from images)
No, it is bolted on with stainless steel bolts, large washers, and nylock nuts. I know it looks funny, but it is totally functional with lots of space for cargo. Works like a champ.
 
Cortech soft bags for most riding. I attach a cortech tail bag for the long trips to Colorado or Arkansas. I just make sure there's nothing too valuable in them when unattended.
 
Back
Top