What do you do for storage?

vito_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'll admit I'm spoiled with my current ride, a 2016 Goldwing. And not just for the cool features like cruise control and the built in nav system, etc. but for the ample locked storage capability. Even if not going on a multi day ride, I have stuff that I like to always keep with me, including a rain suit, a tire repair kit, a first aid kit, extra pair of gloves, a baseball cap (for when off the bike) and other little things. But I am thinking about getting a CB1100 both as a second bike now, and when the 900 pound GW just gets too much for this old guy to handle, as my then primary ride. And it made me think, what to do for storage?

Personally, I don't want to have a backpack with me every time I ride. Most of my riding is in the summer, and its just too hot to have a backpack sitting on my back. I guess I could buy some nylon or other soft throw-over the seat type bags, but wondered what the rest of you do for just regular, everyday storage needs.
 
I ride with a Klim Gore-Tex riding suit, so separate rain gear is not required. For day rides, my credit card doubles as a tire repair kit and I shove a baseball cap in my waistband. I don't bother with extra gloves if I'm just going out for a few hours.
 
35L and 55L rear top box for myself. The 55L stores everything I need. Yeah, bike looks will be affected, but you won't need to deal with throwing a leg over any hard side bags or similar. The bike also stays narrow. I used to wear a backpack, now I just throw that into the 55L box :) . I haven't looked back since. Top box easily attaches/detaches.
 
Magnetic tank bag here and soft tail bag if necessary

1d369280b50a30d58602b59dae6fb2de.jpg
 
Top box is Givi mounteed on Honda rear rack, side panniers (semi hard) are by SW-Motech supported by Evo side racks (SW-M), also have magnetic tank bag. Am very happy to have this set, that is easily attaches/detaches

cd449850b5d0044557a70b6b864066a8.jpg



865cd51d05038d3f718ec284848ef242.jpg


:biker:
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I ride with a Klim Gore-Tex riding suit, so separate rain gear is not required. For day rides, my credit card doubles as a tire repair kit and I shove a baseball cap in my waistband. I don't bother with extra gloves if I'm just going out for a few hours.
Alright. Do tell.
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I ride with a Klim Gore-Tex riding suit, so separate rain gear is not required. For day rides, my credit card doubles as a tire repair kit and I shove a baseball cap in my waistband. I don't bother with extra gloves if I'm just going out for a few hours.
Alright. Do tell.
Alright. Do tell.
AAA?

I know my CAA covers motorcycles for roadside assistance and tow.
 
I use the factory Honda rack and top box with the 1 key system. I had them shipped from Japan through Samurider and I can easily fit my full face helmet in there.

 
A simple back pack - Honda, of course!

Carries my puncture kit, cordless inflater, visor cleaner and wipes, waterproof trousers, spare gloves and neck warmer and plenty of room over.

My opinion is that any luggage ruins the lines of the bike which I'd rather not do.
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
A simple back pack - Honda, of course!

Carries my puncture kit, cordless inflater, visor cleaner and wipes, waterproof trousers, spare gloves and neck warmer and plenty of room over.

My opinion is that any luggage ruins the lines of the bike which I'd rather not do.
But, but, but HR? ... You can't "safely" bring home a fresh, hot pizza with extra cheese on the CB in the backpack. (well, I suppose you can if you still wanted to) :)
 
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
 
Flynrider_imp said:
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
I love that big screen, Flyn. Who makes it?
 
When I had my CB500XA I bought a Nelson Rigg tank bag so I could see my maps on my day rides. My helmet and gloves were also placed in it when I stopped for something to eat. Out of sight, out of mind.

In the fall I bought another as a tail bag. That allowed me to carry a rain suit and remove clothing as the day warmed up.

Three years later when I traded it in on my CB1100EX, I only used the tail bag as I was now familiar with all my day ride routes. But I routinely kicked the expanded tail bag getting on and off the bike. So I bought the Honda rear rack to hold it.

Later that year one of the members here bought a EMGO travel trunk. It was the first trunk I saw that did not look like a large satellite hovering behind the CB. It was also inexpensive and easy to install. It holds either of my helmets, gloves, ear plugs, maps, and wet micro fibre cloth to clean my visor.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
When I had my CB500XA I bought a Nelson Rigg tank bag so I could see my maps on my day rides. My helmet and gloves were also placed in it when I stopped for something to eat. Out of sight, out of mind.

In the fall I bought another as a tail bag. That allowed me to carry a rain suit and remove clothing as the day warmed up.

Three years later when I traded it in on my CB1100EX, I only used the tail bag as I was now familiar with all my day ride routes. But I routinely kicked the expanded tail bag getting on and off the bike. So I bought the Honda rear rack to hold it.

Later that year one of the members here bought a EMGO travel trunk. It was the first trunk I saw that did not look like a large satellite hovering behind the CB. It was also inexpensive and easy to install. It holds either of my helmets, gloves, ear plugs, maps, and wet micro fibre cloth to clean my visor.
The "following lump" is indeed a look that has to be tolerated when using the rear top box.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
I love that big screen, Flyn. Who makes it?
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
 
I like hard bags and a windshield, and rode a Yamaha FJR1300 for a while, and currently have a BMW R1100RT. For the CB, I put on a set of soft throw-over Cortech bags. They're a bit too far forward 'cause of the turn signals, but the forward strap is very wide and thin, so I don't even feel it when sitting on it.
 
Sorry to detour this thread, but I'm considering that windscreen. Does anyone know if a 2014 CB1100 has 1" or 7/8" handlebars?

Flynrider_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
I love that big screen, Flyn. Who makes it?
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
 
deltamark_imp said:
Sorry to detour this thread, but I'm considering that windscreen. Does anyone know if a 2014 CB1100 has 1" or 7/8" handlebars?

Flynrider_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
I love that big screen, Flyn. Who makes it?
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
7/8" mount
 
Thanks Django!
Django_imp said:
deltamark_imp said:
Sorry to detour this thread, but I'm considering that windscreen. Does anyone know if a 2014 CB1100 has 1" or 7/8" handlebars?

Flynrider_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
For many years I just used a backpack. I picked up some Tourmaster Select soft bags for extra storage on road trips and found they were great for around town errand running as well. Recently I acquired a 42L H&B top box and I'm really happy with it (never had a top box before). Not only will it be great on road trips, but I can bring home a sizable amount of groceries too.

While I agree with Haggard Rider that it does alter the look of the bike, the nice thing about this setup is that all the luggage can be removed in less than 5 min. when not needed.

53fa8bfb1e2705dc4f76be628c290fb9.jpg
I love that big screen, Flyn. Who makes it?
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
Hey Bazbro! That's a National Cycle Plexistar 2.

N8332-01 Plexistar™ Windshield Fairing

I use a smaller NC screen for hot weather, but the big screen is great for winter riding and summer touring.
7/8" mount
7/8" mount
 
Back
Top