What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

What an incredible sunset. The KLX 300 was the perfect bike for that trip. Now, go show some love to your CB1100EX. She called me four times asking when you were coming home. :)
 
Thread starter
The painted hills are awesome and the sunset pic is stunning ( frameable)
 
first a dayloop with customers of my dealer better:  or organized by him after that  I also added my sunset ride, total: 420km

with my new old white 350 scooter ...yessss i have it back.....

Coincidentally  :The previous owner, who bought it 12 months ago, has now traded it for a Forza 750. Or, my endless wanderings with a 2025 350 Forza and a 2025 350 Adventure have finally come to an end...why? Since 2025, Honda hasn't just installed the required second lambda sensor, but has also somehow changed something in the intake or exhaust system...it rattles and clatters so badly it's unbearable. I sold the 2025 Forza after just 1000 km, completely exasperated... The red ADV was just barely on the edge of what was bearable.....which I had only swapped for the Super Cub a few days ago
 

Attachments

  • fo1.webp
    fo1.webp
    464.8 KB · Views: 91
  • fo2.webp
    fo2.webp
    255.7 KB · Views: 91
  • fo3.webp
    fo3.webp
    305.8 KB · Views: 91
  • fo4.webp
    fo4.webp
    218.9 KB · Views: 91
  • fo5.webp
    fo5.webp
    312.8 KB · Views: 94
  • fo6.webp
    fo6.webp
    337.6 KB · Views: 94
  • fo7.webp
    fo7.webp
    492.5 KB · Views: 92
  • fo8.webp
    fo8.webp
    553.2 KB · Views: 92
It was a hectic three years and most of the bikes sat that time in a non-climate-controlled storage unit.  Replaced the battery, drained the tank fuel was rather funky, and ultimately had to pull the carbs and clean them out (mainly had to unstick the floats of both carbs) all inside of a dark cramped unpowered storage unit.  I was rewarded with a beautiful two hour ride through the countryside. 

HpICgQW.jpeg




https://youtube.com/dw1G7mtYZ4E?si=rrIHG5VO1-FumAAj
 
Lovely old bike. Nicely maintained tommymck.
 
Hi all,

Been a busy week, but been thinking about everyone. I went up to Seattle last week to meet up with Mrs. G who was working at a hospital there. She had talked me into joining her to check out the city while she was working and spend Saturday together there before coming home.

I took a tour of the Boeing plant in Everett, which was pretty fun. On the bus part of the tour as we drove past the largest building in the world, the tour guide told us that the vehicles we saw parked close to the building were owned by people who had worked at the factory for at least 25 years, and everyone else was bussed in from a remote lot. The one thing that caught my eye was a KLX 300 right outside the door to the 777 assembly bay. Pdese, are you moonlighting over there? 

Mrs. G's boss was also in Seattle for a few days and invited us out for drinks on one of our evenings. Mrs. was all set to talk shop, but he wasn't in the mood, turned to me and said "Now tell me about this new gig you're doing?" Turns out he's a classic motorcycle nut and was on the L.A. DGR on his '75 Gold Wing. Neither of us knew the other was on the ride. He's also got a vintage CB750 and some other nice bikes, and we talked well into the evening.

I really liked hiking around the city, even if it didn't seem too "moto-centric". We got home Saturday night, and first thing Sunday morning, my friends and I went to the annual Steve McQueen car and bike show. The motorcycle display area is small but very exclusive, so entries are limited to very nice classics. There were a few '69 CB750s, Aerils, and a Kawasaki H2 750. I took a strong interest in a few 70s era BMWs, and the owner, a kindly Swiss gentleman, told me that they were for sale. I looked at his '73 R75 and asked what he was selling it for. He said "thirty five", and when I replied "hundred?", he turned to my friends and asked what I smoke during the day. Oh well, I can dream.

Got home, got cleaned up, and headed to the Bike Shed as the L.A. DGR organizers had put together a final rider meet-up shindig. I had put the final touches on Blood Bike #5 and had her all shined up, so I thought it would be cool to show it off. Very good thing I wasn't on a work run, and good thing it was a fairly lazy Sunday evening... cruising down the freeway about ten minutes from home, she lost all power and just about every warning on the dash fired off. Coasting to the shoulder and starting her back up, she sat at a surging idle at about 2700 rpm with no response twisting the throttle Oh boy. Turn off, turn on, same thing. I had read that aging R1200RTs were prone to weird throttle signals in the ride-by-wire connections. That 2700 was good for cruising at 30 mph in second gear for a limp-home with the hazards flashing. 

This has become a common phrase lately, but Super Bird to the rescue. Jumped on the NC (I would have had to move both cars to get to my CB1100 and didn't want to take the time, and was in no mood to diagnose the Beemer), headed to the party, and met some very cool people. Even did a good deed on the way home. Following an Audi on the 5 heading home, an errant Camry weaving about smacked the Audi. Both cars slowed a bit, the Audi pulled to the shoulder, and the Camry decided to take off. Followed it just long enough to memorize the plate, pulled over, and called 911. The Audi pulled up behind me, hoping that I had seen the accident. I gave them the description and info on the offending car and went home to bed. 

Spent the better part of Monday dissecting the throttle cable on #5, cleaning the contacts, and riding around doing errands to make sure it didn't happen again, and gave her a clean bill of health... for now. She did well on 200 or so miles of delivery riding today, so I'd say she's OK.
 
[quote="tommymck" pid='274596' dateline='1780964085']
It was a hectic three years and most of the bikes sat that time in a non-climate-controlled storage unit.  Replaced the battery, drained the tank fuel was rather funky, and ultimately had to pull the carbs and clean them out (mainly had to unstick the floats of both carbs) all inside of a dark cramped unpowered storage unit.  I was rewarded with a beautiful two hour ride through the countryside. 
[/QUOTE]

Job well done. Beautiful motorcycle definitely worth the effort. The first ride looks spectacular, too. David
 
tommymck's comments remind me that I haven't seen my Enfield Interceptor since I took my current job in March. She's been under a cover in my friend's garage. I should go visit...
 
I hope you've fixed that BMW, Gone. Taken with rdprdp01's recent post on collecting spare parts for the future, it's a reminder that there's nothing for nothing. All the modern technology and electronics make for smoother, more comfortable riding, but there's more to go wrong and a likelihood that a broken part may be irreplaceable.

I might get ready for the future and buy a walking frame. I can't see too much that can go wrong with them!
 
Thanks, Cormanus. I amended my maintenance schedule and my initial bike modification list to include disconnecting the throttle cables, cleaning the contacts and securing the connections tightly. This has happened on two of our BMWs now, and thankfully neither incident affected a critical delivery. Both were rectified by a Honda.

Reminds of the BMW with a looming $2800 ABS module failure that I sold in 2019 to buy my thankfully bullet-proof CB1100.
 
My runs ended early yesterday, so I spent the afternoon in the garage making improvements to the bike I had rotated back home for lights and horns. A very large Japanese beetle had flown into the garage and was hovering around the bike like a helicopter. Maybe it was attracted to the yellow color, but interesting company to have.

I kept hearing something hovering around later and thought it was the beetle until I realized that a hummingbird had flown in, and was flitting about at the ceiling going from one light fixture to the next.

This had happened a few years ago while I was working on my CB. We have a hummingbird feeder on our patio above the garage. I’d read that they will typically panic until they run out of energy and crash, pass out and eventually die. We couldn’t have Mrs. G discovering a dead little bird somewhere.

Putting on my thinking cap, I did what worked last time. I taped a red gift bow to a broom, held still, and waited for him to land on it. He was a tough customer and sniffed it for a second and moved on.

I then took a thimble, put a tiny bit of sugar in it, added water and shook it up. Mrs was at the dining room table on a Zoom call with her staff and was observing me doing this thinking I must have hit my head.

Went back down to the garage, nestled the thimble in the bow and turned off all of the lights except one to aim the bird to one spot. Stood still and waited…

He hovered around the bow and landed on it to check out the nectar. Good! Very, very slowly maneuvered the broom down and under the garage door to lure him back outside, and needing to tilt the broom, the sugar water dripped all over my bike. Didn’t pay too much attention at the moment, concentrating on the bird.

Finally he saw the great outdoors and flew away. Whew! Went upstairs to wash off the bow and have some lunch, as the whole incident took about 30 minutes and I was hungry.

After lunch, I went back to the garage to keep working, and now saw a decent number of bees all around my bike, which, drizzled with sugar water must have looked like a 550 pound lump of pollen. Great. Broke out the washing gear and gave the bike a bath and to rinse the sticky sugary drips off of the floor. I don’t mind a bee or two, but the local hive apparently got word of this. Dried off the bike and eventually got back to work.

Should have just let the stupid bird crash.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7622.webp
    IMG_7622.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 104
Gone in 60 said:
Should have just let the stupid bird crash.

Nah, you did the right thing.  Very creative too.  Reminds me of my former neighbor and mountain dulcimer instructor who found a wounded baby hummingbird and nursed it back to health: 
. He spent over a week helping the bird recover, training it to eat nectar, and bringing it every day to its mom to get fed.
 
[quote="Gone in 60" pid='274637' dateline='1781188610']
Should have just let the stupid bird crash.
[/QUOTE]

Not how you roll, my brother. We need more kindness and patience in this world, even if it accompanied by a curse or two along the way. Am delighted but not surprised you saved another life. This time, it was a hummingbird. I believe the first reference of hummingbirds dates back to Latin America, where they were revered for spreading joy, resilience, healing, and spiritual connection. Looks like we can add slightly annoying and stubborn to the list. :) David
 
Thanks and yeah, glad I saved the hummingbird. Now I just need to figure out how to get the last few bees out of the garage… I was changing a headlight bulb last night and they were keeping me company.
 
rdprdp01 said:
tommymck said:
It was a hectic three years and most of the bikes sat that time in a non-climate-controlled storage unit.  Replaced the battery, drained the tank fuel was rather funky, and ultimately had to pull the carbs and clean them out (mainly had to unstick the floats of both carbs) all inside of a dark cramped unpowered storage unit.  I was rewarded with a beautiful two hour ride through the countryside. 

Job well done. Beautiful motorcycle definitely worth the effort.  The first ride looks spectacular, too. David

Not sure about job well done, but if it rides after I'm done with it, I take it as a win!


Continuing the quest to get my geezer bikes back running and out of storage.  Today was supposed to be the R100R, but the starter or solenoid on that seems to be dead.

Next bike up was the 1981 R80GS.  The expected news is that the battery was dead.  The bad news (which came as a surprise to me) is that you need to take out the rear shock to remove the battery.  The better news is that the tool kit that comes with the bike is pretty much enough to allow you to completely disassemble the bike.  I had some of my tools around, but it was a welcome surprise given that I'm working on this thing in a dingy storage unit.

eQ6I324.jpeg


wyxapE7.jpeg


 
Back
Top