What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

pdedse, I'd like to know the DOT 4 digit production number of that failed tire..looks like this (far right)>>

UmZGsOq.jpg
 
Pulled my CB77 out for the first time this year for an oil change and a ride to town for its annual NYS safety inspection. No trouble codes popped up during the inspection :P . For the life of me, I can’t imagine taking the CB77 on long rides like when the bike and were young. However, one of the advantages of riding a vintage bike like my CB77, it makes me appreciate the smoothness, ease of shifting and stopping, etc. when I ride the CB1100.

[attachment=559]

BTW, I also changed the oil and filter on the CB1100 in preparation for the rally.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0687.webp
    IMG_0687.webp
    96.8 KB · Views: 26
peterbaron said:
pdedse, I'd like to know the DOT 4 digit production number of that failed tire...

It's 1622.  The tire is OEM from a 2023 bike that I bought in September of '22.  

Failed tire has a history...I had a 5" spike puncture the tire last September.  

EuTCwhR.jpg


It was a roadside repair, and if I remember right, a tire patch was used on the interior surface of the tire.  New tube was used.  As I changed the tube out yesterday, I could feel a divit where this nail penetrated the tire last year.  I think over the last year the tire patch wore away and the tube finally worked its way into the crevice and got eaten up by the jaggedness of the divit.  Here's a photo of the damaged tube from this time around:

tFv9CP4.jpg



Gone in 60 said:
Bummer, Pdedse! Looks like an old tire. ...

It's got nearly 4k miles on it, which isn't bad I'm told by other DR650 owners.
 
What I did to my two other Hondas 2022 Goldwing and 2022 Trail 125 in the last week is sell them. But I bought a new Honda car, 2026 Civic SI.
 
So, do you still have a bike, Ollie?
 
pdedse said:
peterbaron said:
pdedse, I'd like to know the DOT 4 digit production number of that failed tire...

It's 1622.  The tire is OEM from a 2023 bike that I bought in September of '22.  

Failed tire has a history...I had a 5" spike puncture the tire last September.  

EuTCwhR.jpg


It was a roadside repair, and if I remember right, a tire patch was used on the interior surface of the tire.  New tube was used.  As I changed the tube out yesterday, I could feel a divit where this nail penetrated the tire last year.  I think over the last year the tire patch wore away and the tube finally worked its way into the crevice and got eaten up by the jaggedness of the divit.  Here's a photo of the damaged tube from this time around:

tFv9CP4.jpg



Gone in 60 said:
Bummer, Pdedse! Looks like an old tire. ...

It's got nearly 4k miles on it, which isn't bad I'm told by other DR650 owners.



3+ years old. Not too old to crack ???
 
Do you mean the crack in my tire?  That was caused by the 5" nail that entered there.  At first it was just a hole, then over the last year the crack developed, which I hadn't noticed till this flat.
peterbaron said:
3+ years old. Not too old to crack ???


Decided I need to be better at roadside tire changes for my DR650, so I spent the day practicing, using only tools I take with me.  The jack isn't actually being used to support the bike, the aluminum stand is doing all the work.
V6EK4Sp.jpg


I watched a video produced by Motionpro and took notes and snippet shots of key moments, instructions that I'll include with my tools for dual purpose riding.  If I don't, I'll forget key details.


My first change this morning took a little over two hours; after lunch I started over and got it down to under two hours.  I think next time I can get it to 1.5 hours which I would find acceptable on the road.

Nice little chain cleaning brush that works well
zSG9mq9.jpg


Next week, I'll practice 2 more times with zip-tie (or velco straps) method
 
Been practicing roadside tire changes on my DR650 the last few days...4 attempts, but on one of them I pinched a tube.  The 4th time was to install a new rear tire, the front is now waiting for me.  I can do the changes with the Rabaconda, but I really wanted to develop a better technique and get a system down using only trail tools.  I think I'm about 75% happy with where I'm at.  

Was about to start with the front tire when I realized that it's supposed to rain this Friday and Saturday, so better to leave a wet day for the tire change...today was just too beautiful.

Sometimes I don't know why I waste my time riding in Oregon when Washington is just across the Columbia.   :cool:
L9yd0zL.jpg


After crossing the stream, took hiway 503 towards three lakes just south of Mt. Saint Helen's, all formed by dams.  This is Yale Lake, with St. Helen's and its clipped conical peak is now a flat top.  The May, 1980 eruption took about 1,300 feet of mass off the top.  
zJRcsIJ.jpg
 
I had my swim suit with me, but it was late morning and it wasn't really that warm yet.  Had I gone through here yesterday with 95 degree temps, would not have passed up the opportunity.

Lots and lots of tree enshrouded riding, makes you feel like you're in a constant tunnel.  Once past Yale, you really don't see anything other than more trees and forest undergrowth until McCleland Viewpoint, hilighting St. Helen's
w52gwRW.jpg


Then heading south, 25 miles more of forest till the Columbia.  I stopped at the park where I had the flat last week on the DR650.  A little more pleasant today.  A strong wind from the west makes a great day for those into windsurfing and kiteboarding...
6CGDNQd.jpg


Kayakers and canoes as well...they were heading upstream with the 25 mph winds at their backs.  I think it will be a different story for them when they return.
0VWCNWR.jpg


I've been in Oregon about 26 years now and have probably crossed The Bridge of the Gods 60 plus times.  But I've never stopped on the bridge itself to take a photo, until today.
5sSspXa.jpg


NToL8p8.jpg


The Kawasaki W800 has received a lot of riding love the last few weeks.  It's time to get back on the CB1100.
 
I wish I could change that emoji pdedse. It was meant to be a different one. Fat fingers.
 
Thread starter
Or on the old forum where we didn't have any?
 
Nice ride, Pdedse! Good to test your skills at tire changing. I've done a few now that I refuse to pay what local shops want to change 'em, and I'm way slow! And on-the-road changing wouldn't be an option around here.

I had a similar thing happen on a bicycle I restored last year. A reflector mounting clip sprung across the garage and landed in the new tire I was about to install. I didn't see it, and put the new tire and tube on the rim. A few weeks into riding it, I got a flat. The clip had rubbed a hole in the tube.


Not so much what I did with my other bike, but what I had Chat GPT do.

Last Friday night, while sitting in a theater waiting for "King Kong, Live on Stage" to start, and a few cocktails in, I pulled out my phone. 
First, I told Chat GPT to turn me into a cat. 
Then, I told it to put me on my motorcycle. 

Here's what we got.
 

Attachments

  • E9D43C3D-2FF8-4A2E-9A29-E15E36B39225.webp
    E9D43C3D-2FF8-4A2E-9A29-E15E36B39225.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
I’m peterbaron said:
From now on, Gone is the forum's ARTIST   :D

Ha! No sir. That’s all AI.

Want to have fun? 
Take a selfie
Put it through Chat GPT and say “make me a (cat, dog, whatever)
Then send Chat a picture of your motorcycle and tell it 
“Put my new picture on my motorcycle”
 
peterbaron said:
Gone, I don’t even know him and haven’t ever met him,,, this AI guy… what’s his ride??  :cool:

 Ha Ha!

Peter, you remind me of an old SNL skit that parodied the original screen tests for Star Wars. 

One was Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds testing for Darth Vader. 

"So Burt in this scene, one of your underlings make you upset, and you use the force to choke him."
"(in Burt Reynolds voice) So... this Darth Vader guy... What kind of car does he drive?"
 
I feel the summer days slipping by and a strong desire to get out there and ride whenever I can.  For years I've wanted to do a ride around Mt. Adams in Washington--it's the general area I was headed for when I had a flat on my DR650 last week.  I thought I'd try it again...
ulzahZD.jpg


I got underway by 9am and by 11:00 had a first visual of Mt. Adams a few miles south of Trout Lake...it was looking kinda hazy.  The idea was to ride left of it and circle around it clockwise fashion
QEOZuV0.jpg


Stopped to top off with gas and realized the haze, was in fact...smoke.  The owner of the gas-station told me not to worry, no fires nearby, just some bleh blowing in from some where.

Took NF-23 for the most part; internet indicated a section was closed but there was a detour which was fun.  Check out the new tire!
CHI2izd.jpg


In preparation for this outing, I removed / installed the old tire 2x to practice, and then put the new tire on...and pinched the tube.  I was a little shocked as I was as careful as I could be with the tube.  But next time it went well.  I felt ready for a flat!  

Mt Adams, hazy...
oDosKHJ.jpg


I didn't realize NF-23 was paved as much as it was, but the day would have plenty of dirt/gravel as well
D18rs1y.jpg


pgagtFb.jpg


ZRPjmXd.jpg


Found Takhlakh Lake, Mt. Adams barely visible, and at this point I'm getting close to the northern side of Adams
sYCbC6M.jpg


I don't have a GPS, but I had written out a detailed ride plan with all the forest numbers and distances, and I was happy that the ride was panning out fine
kGzTWUP.jpg


Fun roads
oqRQ5Cq.jpg


Heading back south
EQ95l3N.jpg


Taking a break at Glenwood
fgvfXyq.jpg


From the bridge crossing the White Salmon River, heard lots of fun sounding whoops and hollerin'; hiked down to the river and saw the reason why...
d2wLx5g.jpg


Can't pass that up
x1pZ8xz.jpg


XWzGL8M.jpg


Soon, I rejoined with hiway 14, what I took to begin the day.  Mt. Hood as seen from across the Columbia on the WA side:
ZMTPwtV.jpg


But...no flats!  About 10% of me wanted to have one just so I could erase last week's memory with a better one, but no such luck. I made it home a little after 6pm, just over 250 miles.  Supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday, so it was a great day to do this.  Now time for the front tire.
 
Great ride. Glad you had the time on the motorcycle and in nature. Powerful combination. David
 
I always enjoy tales of your rides and the accompanying pictures pdedse.
 
Cormanus said:
So, do you still have a bike, Ollie?

Yes Cormanus I still have a handful including the 14 CB1100. 

I sold the Goldwing because it was large, heavy, difficult to work on, and I just wasn't riding it much any longer. Nothing wrong with it though and a great bike for what it is.
I picked up the Trail 125 a couple years ago slightly used at a pretty good price. My problem with it was it's simply too under powered for highway use, especially up hills, and 1st gear was too tall for trail riding. I have a Yamaha XT250 which is far more capable in every way so I sold the Trail 125.
 
Back
Top