What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Spectacular pdedse. I love some of the mountains in your part of the world. And the lakes and rivers.
 
Thread starter
Agree with Cormanus.

Wife and I are tentatively headed to Crater Lake in near future by car.
 
[quote="pdedse" pid='270014' dateline='1754117291']
Just returned from a 3 day / 2 night visit to Diamond Lake area, about 20 miles north of Crater Lake, Thielsen campground (blue X).
EK1DO6q.jpg


A long-time friend / riding buddy spends summers in Eureka, CA and we've been trying to get together for a ride so that he could show me his new '24 DR-Z400.  He asked me to put together a ride somewhere in the middle for both of us, and I chose Diamond Lake kinda blindly.  Arrived Wednesday afternoon and thankfully there were still a few sites available for 2 nights.  Since my friend wasn't going to arrive till nearly dark, I had the chance to scope things out a bit beforehand. 

Mt. Thielsen from the campground
g4QH5Ja.jpg


Diamond Lake Resort / general store area; our campground on the opposite shoreline
0ra7mRB.jpg


North of the lake off hiway 138, forest service road "Cinnamon Butte Lookout" sounded promising
sfWN9g4.jpg


The burned areas...
tbDyIea.jpg


...reminded me vaguely of a forest fire in this area, and sure enough, just over a year ago: 

I tested just a few miles of OHV trails.  Is there a name for the 2-3" powdery, thick dust that dominates these trails?  It was "interesting" on my still stock tires.

GFf58h0.jpg


After breakfast yesterday, we set out for forest service roads that link Toketee and Lemolo lakes.  After 15 some files of riding together, we decided to split up and test out different routes and then meet up at Lemolo.  I tried a couple of promising side roads...
JkADVcc.jpg


...but they devolved into lifting tree branches and riding under...a few times ok, but it soon became pointless.
FjGMcL4.jpg


No matter, it was fun to explore new-to-me areas.  Lemolo Lake dam area...
lxJbMth.jpg


lPY8o7i.jpg


When we met up again, my friend Jeff told me that there was an interesting trail that he found and asked if I didn't want to try it out...
N8sFb4h.png


How can one say no to that?  After climbing Dread and Terror, we wanted to see what else might be in store for us.  We navigated a 12" downed tree trunk and the trail was quickly becoming overgrown, but still passable.
nVmRXxz.jpg
  
"Action" video of Jeff: 

Me, trying to keep up: 

He said he saw me filming, and tried half-heartedly to do a quick wheelie...nope!

Such a fun area
JclVVpJ.png


Spent the afternoon in a local pizza shop while a storm blew through, and then went searching for the Umpqua hot springs to soak awhile.  A dip in the cold and fast moving waters of the North Umpqua River quickly revived me.  
qSCi6rG.jpg


Fading light, a good riding day
FZxoZp1.jpg


Jeff had never been to Crater Lake, so that was on the early morning menu.  His first view...
sbb15Io.jpg


We passed through the entry but nobody was working there yet, so we didn't even have to pay the $25 fee for the views.
mzIXrYW.jpg


pyJM69L.jpg


Jeff and I had our helmets on and ear protectors in as we were talking.  Some sweet ol' lady told Jeff to use his "indoor voice" as we were :) apparently being too loud so we could hear each other.  
ojAOYfe.jpg


XY0Id5J.jpg


Made it back to the Diamond Lake area and finished our riding time by exploring one of the OHV lanes.  This one wasn't so powdery and provided a beautiful hour of pure joy.  
ZvZD1yL.jpg


By 11:30am he was on his way home as he had lots of work waiting for him, and I made it back to Gresham by 5pm.

At one point riding away from Crater Lake, we switched bikes for about 15 miles.  He said my DR650 felt like riding a cadillac after being on his 400.  Has the DR650 ever been compared to a caddy?
[/QUOTE]

I find the “indoor voice” comment hilarious! I also find it endearing that the lady that shared it with you comes from a generation where you delivered a rebuke kindly and with civility. :)
 
peterbaron said:
Pdedse, how did you tow your boat, if I see no trailer hitch attached to your bike...?   :)

Darn, I guess I forgot to take a picture of that set-up, but it looked something like this...

17018379325_43d59f03fb_h.jpg


: )

As I've gotten older, tent camping has become more of a challenge; particularly how to pack enough items so that sleeping is not a miserable experience.   I have good aluminum side cases for the DR650 and while they hold quite a bit, you still are limited for space.  From a different, 5-day trip, all loaded down, ready to camp where ever:
DTUOev9.jpg


I typically do a circular route, packing / repacking each day, but I suppose I've grown wary of that.  So now it's pack anything and everything I want into the pickup, head for a spot where I stay put, and then radiate from there to do day rides.  In this case, my friend did the same in his pickup.  

I mention all this, because when I saw boats on Diamond Lake, and that our campsite actually had a boat ramp...hmmm, I thought...I could have trailered my '17 boat here and we could have floated / fished along with the riding.  It's a thought I'm going to entertain for the future.
 
peterbaron said:
Pdedse, how did you tow your boat, if I see no trailer hitch attached to your bike...?   :)

That is a good question, Peter, but what I really want to know is how did pdedse get those campground folding chairs into his top case??!

When I lived in Las Vegas and hiked Lee Canyon or Corn Creek Springs, I wanted a backpack chair, but the only ones I found were steel and rather heavy.

pdedse:  thank you for sharing.  Been maybe 4 decades since I saw Crater Lake.
 
the Ferret said:
Agree with Cormanus.

Wife and I are tentatively headed to Crater Lake in near future by car.

I hope it works for you for it's a beautiful area; should you decide to include the Portland area coming or going...feel free to stop by, kick your shoes off...maybe you even throw your riding gloves in the car, you know...just in case.

Crater Lake...if you can avoid the weekends and go as early as possible in the morning, I think you'll find the experience more pleasant.  I mean, traffic isn't terrible--I've been there 3 or 4 times at different times of the day--but late morning to late afternoon I remember there being lots more traffic than what I saw yesterday at 730-930am.


SportsterDoc said:
... what I really want to know is how did pdedse get those campground folding chairs into his top case??!

When I lived in Las Vegas and hiked Lee Canyon or Corn Creek Springs, I wanted a backpack chair, but the only ones I found were steel and rather heavy.

pdedse:  thank you for sharing.  Been maybe 4 decades since I saw Crater Lake.

Pick-up!  When I do go camping using the DR650, the aluminum side cases are easily removed.  Set on the ground, they work well as both a chair and a mini table.  I always ride with seat pads strapped to my motorcycles, so I remove the pad and place on top of the side case and that works decently for a camping seat...and I don't have to pack (or buy!) anything extra.
 
Very resourceful!


Many years ago Sears had a sale on 3 man tents.
One went to daughter #3 and the other just last month to daughter #2...unused.
Last time I remember tent camping was when son was about 12 (he is 44 now).
He stayed in a tent and I outside in a cot on Cuddeback Dry Lake with a full moon.
Much easier to exit the sleeping bag from the cot!
Amazing how many critters crawl around at night!!
 

Attachments

  • Cuddeback.webp
    Cuddeback.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 54
A short little moment that was filmed by the guy we were riding with during last Saturdays ride in Tennessee.  The pure drama of the back of this bike I think is what makes it so attractive to everybody. 

We did one last run in the Tennessee Foothills to prepare for the end of this months big event.  I'm still wondering if I should just bring this as my Rally bike .
 
Thread starter
Wont play for me
 
Well, my brain is swirling again... my job is changing quite significantly. Part of the new role involves helping to manage a shop the company runs to work on project cars for our online content sites. And, it would probably mean making the lengthy commute more than once a week. So, the thought of a more mileage-eating machine like a sport tourer might make sense, and if running the shop means I can store an extra bike, it might alleviate the no-room situation in my garage. Hmmm...
 
Gone in 60 said:
...and if running the shop means I can store an extra bike, it might alleviate the no-room situation in my garage. Hmmm...

Usually where you can fit one, you can fit two ... : )
 
Tried for an overnight outing on the DR650 into area southeast of Mt. Adams in Washington, but 1 hr into the trip...
gzr50rB.jpg


Ah shoot!
8GJqala.jpg

Aired up tire with my compressor, and yep...air seeping out the crack

iwxN3f6.jpg


Took me a longer while than I care to admit to break bead, get new tube and tire back on, but 3.5 hours later and several youtube video reminders on how to and...arg, exhausted!  Went back home!
 
I had a puncture in my car today and — of course — had to change the wheel in the rain.
 
Tough day for Forum Moderators! Glad you both made it home without incident. I also hope this weekend is kinder to you. David
 
Thank you, rdprdp01. One of the good things about cars is that they carry spare tyres. Punctures are way more of a hassle on a bike.
 
Bummer, Pdedse! Looks like an old tire. I'm staring down needing rear tires on all of my bikes soon from endless highway miles. Had a flat on my car last week. Slow leak, and the TMPS light came on before it became critical. Nail was at that point just a bit close to the sidewall where a shop would probably say "Sorry, you need a new tire."

I'm cheap! Pulled out my Amazon mushroom plug kit, but haven't gotten it to seal without a slight leak. Employed the old trusty "snot rope" repair, and rotated that wheel to the back so that if it does go again, it'll be on the back of the car. So far so good... other than the fact that the car's been in the shop since then for something else.
 
Back
Top