What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

It's amazingly beautiful, alprider. I really like the house built into the side of the hill.
 
:rofl: I wouldn't want to drive Fred and Wilma's car up there.
 
Such a beautiful area, Alp! I'd love to get away from concrete sometime soon.

What did I do with my other bike? Wasn't "My" other bike, but I did enjoy the company of several hundred other bikes on Sunday. It was the annual Born Free show in Santiago Canyon just to my East. This is a Harley biker show, maybe a handful of other makes show up, but nevertheless it's great people watching. The show is in an event area about three or four miles into the canyon from the intersection that marks the West end of the 16 mile two-lane that winds its way through the canyon to Rancho Santa Margarita on the other side.

Unless you pay for a "grass pass" to park your bike inside the show field on grass, general parking is in a dirt lot. Y'all know how I feel about getting my machines dirty. I hike in to the show, walking along the generous bike lanes that are on either side of the road. Gets my steps in, I get to watch the bikes go by in each direction, coming and going, and also marvel at what I find alongside this busy and heavily driven and ridden canyon road.

I used to commute to work through this canyon, and saw crashed almost daily. Mostly cars not paying attention to the curves, cars driving too fast for the conditions, or trying to pass slower cars and losing control. Smashed bits of all manner of automotive plastics were strewn in an almost constant stream.

There were also small bits of Harley trim that had vibrated loose from their machines and made it to the side of the road. One year, I found enough undamaged parts that I sold a few things in the parking lot once I got there and made part of my admission price back. Also construction tools and landscaping implements - rakes, brooms, etc - that had fallen off of contractor and landscaping trucks. And a few makeshift memorials to bicycle riders struck along the road, enshrined with a white bicycle and candles.

The show itself was fun. Lots of live rock music, vendors hawking all manner of biker lifestyle accessories and Harley parts. No CB1100 items to be had, but in "what do you ride" conversations, mentions of the bike always started lively conversations.

A good day, good hiking and fun bike and people watching.
 
I think my favorite all-day, but still local route has to be the area just east of Mt. Hood.  It allows me to ride in deep-green forests, up and down valleys, glide through canyons, alongside rivers, some desert-like terrain...I was out in the area two months ago, and wanted to revisit because last time fading daylight chased me home sooner than what I wanted. 

Having ridden the Honda CB1100 quite a bit of late, it was the W800's turn...

s9J6SOF.jpg


Overlooking Tygh Valley
LauwP4d.jpg


The White River Falls park is just 5 miles east of Tygh Valley on hiway 216
qkvYq6D.jpg


It's only about a 15 minute hike to the the area below, and by this time the day had warmed sufficiently that taking a dip was appealing.
xyrR09T.jpg


It takes about 2.5 hours to get to the falls from where I live.  After, fun-to-ride 216...
uyiQKYA.jpg


I can't get over how little traffic is out here, and it's really enjoyable riding.  

Along the Deschutes River
QTzRdKk.jpg
 
If the bike were to break down, I'd like to think one of the three cars that I met in 45 mintures of riding would stop to help out
fVXI3OT.jpg


The town of Maupin on hiway 197.  A number of rafters were on the river.
nuU95B8.jpg


Started at 9:30 and arrived home by 5:30, 275 leisurely paced miles.  But I did hit 105mph on a straight, a first for me on this bike.
 
Beautiful pictures from OR! As for me, I went on a short ride with my new-to-me Monkey. First time in the woods with a motorcycle. Hopefully going for a long ride this weekend if the weather permits.

[attachment=331]
[attachment=332]
[attachment=333]
[attachment=334]
[attachment=335]
 

Attachments

  • Monkey 1.webp
    Monkey 1.webp
    149 KB · Views: 44
  • Monkey 2.webp
    Monkey 2.webp
    121.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Monkey 3.webp
    Monkey 3.webp
    122.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Monkey 4.webp
    Monkey 4.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Monkey 5.webp
    Monkey 5.webp
    163.1 KB · Views: 45
[quote="pdedse" pid='269370' dateline='1750989195']
I think my favorite all-day, but still local route has to be the area just east of Mt. Hood.  It allows me to ride in deep-green forests, up and down valleys, glide through canyons, alongside rivers, some desert-like terrain...I was out in the area two months ago, and wanted to revisit because last time fading daylight chased me home sooner than what I wanted. 

Having ridden the Honda CB1100 quite a bit of late, it was the W800's turn...

s9J6SOF.jpg


Overlooking Tygh Valley
LauwP4d.jpg


The White River Falls park is just 5 miles east of Tygh Valley on hiway 216
qkvYq6D.jpg


It's only about a 15 minute hike to the the area below, and by this time the day had warmed sufficiently that taking a dip was appealing.
xyrR09T.jpg


It takes about 2.5 hours to get to the falls from where I live.  After, fun-to-ride 216...
uyiQKYA.jpg


I can't get over how little traffic is out here, and it's really enjoyable riding.  

Along the Deschutes River
QTzRdKk.jpg
 
If the bike were to break down, I'd like to think one of the three cars that I met in 45 mintures of riding would stop to help out
fVXI3OT.jpg


The town of Maupin on hiway 197.  A number of rafters were on the river.
nuU95B8.jpg


Started at 9:30 and arrived home by 5:30, 275 leisurely paced miles.  But I did hit 105mph on a straight, a first for me on this bike.
[/QUOTE]

Great ride and beautiful motorcyce!
 
rdprdp01 said:
Great ride and beautiful motorcyce!

I agree. Also own an early W800 and of cause a  CB1100. Both are beautiful bikes and fit well together. It's always a joy to go out on ride with them. Also with my Enfield Chrome Classic 500.

My W800 never left me stranded, it always runs reliable in and after all this years (14) and km (81.000) wherever I rode. A very good motorcycle. So is the CB. The Enfield also works fine, 9 years old and more than 35.000km on the speedometer. Good motorbikes, happy man.
 
Man you guys are making me jealous with those beautiful rides! I rode down to San Diego last Saturday to take Mom to lunch, but that was just freeway back and forth. Bleh. I did ride from Laguna Beach to Newport along Pacific Coast Highway on the way home, a ride that Pdedse and I took when he was down here a few years ago. Pretty, but lots of Saturday afternoon beach traffic.
 
Thread starter
Day 150 of riding this year... a sunrise ride on my Covered Bridge Loop. 47 miles @ 74 degrees with the sun coming up



j4vOooKh.jpg


On this ride it clicked over to reserve at 225 miles on this tank. I went another mile further and stopped for gas. Took 2.79 gals to refill (out of a 3.8 gal tank) for 81 mpg. Possible to have maybe gone 300 miles on this tank ... at least mathematically lol

4YRYIFdh.jpg


LJrjQ5uh.jpg
 
Thread starter
Frenchie said:
And 220 miles in the north GA mountains this morning.

You rode 220 miles on a Monkey in 1 morning?
 
Yep, left around 6 am and came back home around noon. My app says 5h27min riding time, 6h35min total. I don't think I stopped for an hour in total, even though I had to fill the tank twice (+ two times when I ran out of gas as I was testing how long I can ride on the reserve) and took some photos.
95 mpg, less than expected, but hey it was in the mountains and I was at top speed a lot. I'm surprised by your 81 mpg. I filmed some parts of the ride, maybe I'll post on YouTube at some point.
 
The original seat was actually pretty comfy, I just feel a bit sore around my upper back/right scapula but it's not too bad, and maybe due to a previous injury around that area.
 
Back
Top