What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Cormanus said:
So ... if a ferret rides a CB1100 with 76,821 miles on the clock for an average of 72 miles a week and an angry bird with 59,000 miles on the clock for an average of 300 miles a week, what phase will the moon be in when their odometers read the same thing? For bonus points, which bike will he be riding and what state will he be in?

The current difference between the two bikes is 17,821 miles (76821-59000)
The riding difference in miles per week is 228 (300-72)
The number of weeks it will take to equal current mileage difference: 78.16 (17821/228=78.16)
78.16 weeks x 7 days per week = 547.14 days
547 days from today, May 12, 2025 is Thursday, Oct 8, 2026
The moon on Thursday, Oct 8, 2026 is: Waning crescent

He has to be on the CB1100 that particular day to make sure it catches Angry Bird.

What state will he be in?  Easiest answer of them all: the state of BLISS.

Don't blow it, ferret.

p.s.

I was always told to check my work:

Angry Bird:
59,000 current miles
78.16 weeks x 300 miles per week = 23,448 miles between today and Oct. 6, 2026
59,000 + 23,448 more miles = 82,448 miles on a Thursday with waning crescent moon.

CB1100:
76,821 current miles
78.16 weeks x 72 miles per week = 5,627.52 miles between today and Oct. 6, 2026
76,821 + 5,627.52 more miles = 82,448.52 miles on a Thursday with waning crescent moon.

ferret, please don't ride the last .52 miles on the CB1100 on Oct. 6, 2026. My math teacher, who once kicked me out of class for watching pidgeons outside the window, would not be happy.
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
Cormanus said:
So ... if a ferret rides a CB1100 with 76,821 miles on the clock for an average of 72 miles a week and an angry bird with 59,000 miles on the clock for an average of 300 miles a week, what phase will the moon be in when their odometers read the same thing? For bonus points, which bike will he be riding and what state will he be in?

The current difference between the two bikes is 17,821 miles (76821-59000)
The riding difference in miles per week is 228 (300-72)
The number of weeks it will take to equal current mileage difference: 78.16 (17821/228=78.16)
78.16 weeks x 7 days per week = 547.14 days
547 days from today, May 12, 2025 is Thursday, Oct 8, 2026
The moon on Thursday, Oct 8, 2026 is: Waning crescent

He has to be on the CB1100 that particular day to make sure it catches Angry Bird.

What state will he be in?  Easiest answer of them all: the state of BLISS.

Don't blow it, ferret.

p.s.

I was always told to check my work:

Angry Bird:
59,000 current miles
78.16 weeks x 300 miles per week = 23,448 miles between today and Oct. 6, 2026
59,000 + 23,448 more miles = 82,448 miles on a Thursday with waning crescent moon.

CB1100:
76,821 current miles
78.16 weeks x 72 miles per week = 5,627.52 miles between today and Oct. 6, 2026
76,821 + 5,627.52 more miles = 82,448.52 miles on a Thursday with waning crescent moon.

ferret, please don't ride the last .52 miles on the CB1100 on Oct. 6, 2026.  My math teacher, who once kicked me out of class for watching pidgeons outside the window, would not be happy.

I think your calculations sound about right. i was thinking they would coincide sometime next summer.
 
:rofl:

I love this place!

BUT I think there's one teensy mistake in your logic, pdedse.
 
Man you guys have too much time on your hands....
I remember when people told me that.
 
No. You managed that brilliantly. Well done. You might like to revisit the bike the ferret will be riding.
 
Cormanus said:
No. You managed that brilliantly. Well done. You might like to revisit the bike the ferret will be riding.

Ah, right-o.  He should be riding Angry Bird that Thursday because he has to be on it to ketchup.
 
See what you can do when you're not watching pigeons?

Good work, pdsedse.
 
Don't need to defend yourself pdedse. In my class you'd likely get bonus marks for being more interested in pigeons than silly puzzles.

Now I'll have to trawl back through the posts and find the day of Ferretal equilibrium and put it in my diary.
 
Ahhh, the UBS bolt. Lot of discussion on that on gl1800riders.com
 
Had a busy weekend. Went to Donut Derelicts on Saturday morning. If I ever go there, it means that I woke up between 5 and 6 am, because you need to be there by 7:00 am to see the cool stuff... the cars and bikes start leaving by 7:15 or so. Why is it that I can't drag myself out of bed before 6:45 on a weekday, but I'll wake up super early on Saturday? Especially this Saturday, after I was out late Friday night to see The Flux Capacitors live on stage.

I've mentioned Donut Derelicts... this is the original early Saturday morning car and bike gathering that gave birth to the "Cars and Coffee" concept. These guys have been gathering for as long as I can remember, and I've been coming since the 90s. 

The Bonneville hadn't gotten much love lately, just commute drudgery, so I spiffed her up to show off. She was in good company when we got there, parked with a neat old Honda that I've parked near before with my CB1100. I think the guy might have retired from Honda in Torrance.
[attachment=260]

Lots of neat stuff on Saturday morning. Even something for Cormanus!
[attachment=261]

Plus, my ultimate "I'd consider offing someone for it" car. Behold the 1957 Eldorado Brougham. The only American car that can top this in terms of luxury and exclusivity is a Duesenberg. They made 400 of them in 1957. They cost three grand more than a Rolls Royce. They had quad headlights a year before they were legal, as if GM said "Whaddya gonna do 'bout it?". It's own perfume. And six stainless steel shot glasses mounted in the glove box. 
[attachment=262]

After leaving, I headed down the coast for a bit to check out a new park that had been under construction a while back. It's very nice, and gazing down at the road, I couldn't help notice the rather ironic t-shirt on a guy sitting on the curb next to his disabled Harley...
[attachment=263]

I chatted with him for a bit. He had a friend coming with a trailer, so he wasn't in dire need of help but appreciated me stopping to check on him. The bike wasn't charging, and he figured the stator was going out. Looks pretty cool though.
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_IMG_4813.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_4813.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 40
  • thumbnail_IMG_4814.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_4814.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 40
  • thumbnail_IMG_4815.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_4815.webp
    61.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4822.webp
    IMG_4822.webp
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
Great cars and bikes Gone in 60. I don't know why, but it surprises me there are Toranas in the US. And one with a Peter Brock number plate. Peter Brock, who raced as number 05 was the king of Toranas and the Bathurst raceway.
 
Back
Top