What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

I got brave. Superbird came with a Shad seat when I bought her. Comfy, but a bit too theatrical for this kind of bike with different types of vinyl, silver trim and white top stitching. This is a purposeful bike, not a showboat.

I found a cheap stock seat from a local guy parting out a bike with a dead DCT. The stock seat is plain black pattered vinyl with no frills. Not the comfiest thing but styled to the bike’s purpose.

Since I’ve been doing amateur recovers on the BMW work bikes, I decided to tackle the Shad driver seat. A-1 Foam and Fabric has a bewildering array of vinyls, and I found one that’s a close match for the stock seat, important as I might not want to redo the rear seat. 

Not as stretchy as I’d like and there are two slight ripples I couldn’t massage out doing a one-piece cover with a simple stapler, but I think I can live with the result.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8049.webp
    IMG_8049.webp
    64.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8050.webp
    IMG_8050.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 79
Cormanus said:
I'm filled with admiration, Gone. Were I to try that it would look like the ocean in a rising breeze!

Aww, if I can do it with some vinyl sheet and a hand stapler, anyone can.


Nachodaddy said:
Well, now you're just showing off. That's darn nice.

Thank you, sir. If you could see the unevenly cut vinyl and random staple placement on the underside, you may not be so kind.
But, that being said, I just couldn't abide the wrinkles and reworked the front a bit to try to smooth them out. And, I went ahead and did the Shad rear seat, knowing that the slight mismatch in the patterns would eventually bug me.
 

Attachments

  • f12e9ea8-c548-42de-8b2f-5f10bee748ef.webp
    f12e9ea8-c548-42de-8b2f-5f10bee748ef.webp
    72.2 KB · Views: 59
  • a5a29a47-6c60-4719-bf01-0260e605c0bf.webp
    a5a29a47-6c60-4719-bf01-0260e605c0bf.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 59
Had some fun late yesterday, filming some promotional video of our delivery services, and the benefits of using a service that can cut through L.A. traffic. 
They're editing the video and pics now, and sent me this one.
 

Attachments

  • 85908748-b14e-4636-a3ba-823d548c4290.webp
    85908748-b14e-4636-a3ba-823d548c4290.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 44
It's been almost 12 months since I bought* my Kawi, and today I crossed the 12,000 kms mark

KQ6CJzD.jpg
 
Hey PB, how many months has it been since you learned to spell? :) or is that the Canadian version…

Is that the stock key? That is one cool key!


Disclaimer: PB and I mess with each other. All in fun. He will get revenge…
 
Man, Peterbaron, you're getting your money's worth out of that Kawi. Glad you're enjoying it!

Speaking of mileage, got a new assignment on my app this morning, and had to double-check the destination. The hospital is in a town called Murrieta, about 60 miles to my southeast, about to where I used to commute to the job I left in early March. The return is to north of L.A. When I get back home, I'll have rolled about 215 miles. 

Hope we're charging mileage!
 
Thread starter
You have to be careful that riding for work doesn't diminish your enjoyment of your riding for pleasure. Something I learned from working in the motorcycle industry for 17 years.
 
I learned that being a machinist and mechanic when I was younger. I enjoyed it then but had no desire to do it when I got home from work. Now sitting at a computer most of the day the last thing I want to do when I get home is use technology, so I spend my time tinkering in the garage on my OWN stuff! And sometimes fixing something for a friend
 
Ha, Ferret, no worries there. Riding this heavy beast has made me appreciate my bikes even more. Plus, when the BMW is parked it blocks my car from going anywhere. So it’s not like I have much of a choice.
 
Friday's total mileage for my longest single delivery run was 221 miles. I got to the pickup clinic on time at 9:30 in Murrieta, but was greeted with "Oh, sorry, the patient cancelled, but we do have another coming in for an 11:00 appointment."  That points out one of the flaws in the system that we really can't control. The research lab where we drop off doesn't open till 9:00, and checking messages isn't one of the first things they do in the morning. So, if a hospital or clinic where we pick up gets a cancellation on an overnight voicemail, they don't get it until they open usually also at 9:00. They might immediately transfer that info to the lab, but the lab might not get the notification till they check messages, by which time I'm already at the clinic being told the patient had cancelled. I'll stay for that later pick up, but our dispatcher has to waive off the second rider suiting up to make that second pick up. Confusing...

All went well until I was five miles from home. I mentally profile other drivers at all times for potential issues. Rental cars will be unpredictable, because tourists will make sudden moves when they nearly miss a turn or a ramp to an attraction or a hotel. New cars with temporary tags will drive cautiously and stay in the dead-center of their lane, as the driver deals with whatever new tech in the car is bewildering them. Black Suburbans and Escalades, VIP airport cars, are basically like rental cars with harried drivers glued to Waze to find their pick-up and drop-off locations. And, sorry Nissan owners, anyone in a Sentra or an Altima is a complete wild card. Look up "Big Altima Energy". This time, I saw the grey Altima coming up the 5, running 20 mph faster than anyone else and changing lanes like an angry teenager, and I plotted his likely course as I needed to exit an HOV lane to make my exit. So, I was ready when he darted into the lane I was signaling and moving into. Finger on the horn already, I used the authoritative presence of the big yellow buffalo and the car horn to push him back. He gave me a very apologetic gesture, slowed and stayed about 100 feet behind me, not knowing what the heck I was or what had just happened. Shrugged it off... if I let every encounter get to me, I wouldn't be able to enjoy what I'm doing.

Sunday was errand day, and one of my chores was to run down to Laguna Beach to buy tickets for the Pageant of the Masters (look that up). If we can avoid ticket processing fees by buying at the box office, we will. Plus, it made for a nice ride down the coast to go buy them, and an opportunity to test out Version 2 of the self-covered Shad seat on Super Bird. Cruising Facebook in the morning, I thought Newport Beach PD's post was a bit snarky... "Revving your engines to get attention? We're listening too!" Ahh, so NBPD was planning targeted enforcement for loud vehicles along Pacific Coast Highway. This area is the most "Look at me!" section of OC. McLarens, Lambos, Ferraris, Harleys and Ducatis all peacocking up and down the coast seeking the jealous looks and admiration of other drivers. If you're not impressed, you're highly annoyed. 

Cruising down PCH, I saw the portable electronic message boards saying that loud vehicles would not be tolerated. Super Bird's stock muffler certainly wasn't going to raise anyone's eyebrows. But, I did get that familiar shock when you first see those blue and red lights in your mirrors. Luckily the NBPD motor cop just wanted me to move over a bit so he could pull over the Harley up the road from me running straight pipes and hoping he'd impress everyone within a two-mile radius. Sorry, dude.
 

Attachments

  • 5db3f0f2-fdb2-4ae2-ad04-d080fe1648c3.webp
    5db3f0f2-fdb2-4ae2-ad04-d080fe1648c3.webp
    76.2 KB · Views: 71
Thread starter
Day 200...2/3 of the way to my yearly goal of riding 300 days.

Picked up Blue Bird after getting a new set of Michelin Road 5's installed and the F&R brake fluid changed out, then took an 80-mile tire break-in ride @ 78 degrees and sunny.

Man, these Road 5's handle so much better than the oem Metzler's. Only got 5,342 miles out of the Metzler's. There was some rubber left but the strange handling was driving me crazy. Funny because I had no complaints about the oem Metzler's that came on Angry Bird and I got 7,130 miles out of them. I think Blue Birds original owner only rode on straight flat roads and squared off the oem tires contributing to the weird handling and excess bar pressure it required to lean into and hold a line in a curve..

Also stopped and took a mural pic for Blue Bird

YzxusjH.jpg
 
Curious to hear how you like the Road 5s. I’ll need new tires somewhat soonish. They don’t do as well on the heavy cop bikes for mileage but on an NC they are probably ideal.
 
Thread starter
I love the R5s on an NC. Have run I think 5 sets about 50,000 miles on Angry Bird.
 
If you've read enough of my stuff, you know that I like clean bikes. Sometimes I think I have an unhealthy obsession. I try to fight it, but imperfections eat at me for some reason. 
There was a scratch on the left side mirror and clutch lever perch on Superbird, my NC. I masked off the area and shot it with some matte black. Seemed ok, but anything in my view as I'm riding will be noticed. The rest of the handlebar hardware was more of a satin finish. I tried to fight it. Eventually I had to deal with it, and pulled the part, reshot it with satin, and while I was at it shot the clutch adjuster wheel in matte black, which was more of a match to its finish. 

Now when I look at the bars when I'm riding, I'm not distracted by an imperfection. I think I need help.
 

Attachments

  • 25a56fe1-c563-4959-b254-11d0ed037eaa.webp
    25a56fe1-c563-4959-b254-11d0ed037eaa.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 26
Thread starter
I couldn't tell you what mine look like or if they are even painted


My friend Donk came down from Wisconsin for an overnight visit. This morning I led him on a couple of my local loops, letting him first ride Blue Bird, then Angry Bird, then my CB. Since we had both birds ou,t we stopped and got the Mural pic to match both the bikes

OQScVPW.jpg
 
Back
Top