What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Thanks to all for the recommendations and encouragement.  In the past I often used naval jelly for rusty things, but at some point I switched to wire brushing and applying a rust converter called Ospho.  I'm hesitant to use Ospho around the bike though, because it is so corrosive if a drip gets on anything.  It would ruin any nice finish like chrome.

I ordered a metal polish yesterday called Flitz.  Have never tried it.  But being impatient, I also found in the garage a bottle of Nu finish and put a couple coats on the right muffler.  It probably won't last long, but I needed something to do while watching the Orioles lose again.

I also found in the garage a half-full bottle of MAP gas, but couldn't find the bernsomatic torch (have moved several times since last using it).  So I went out and bought one with flexible hose and adjustable flame.  I'm hoping it will allow me to heat and remove the left muffler without damaging anything on the bike.

Oh, and I treated the rash on the brake lever...amazingly it disappeared.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-07-22 at 7.20.24?AM.webp
    Screenshot 2025-07-22 at 7.20.24?AM.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 81
Lunchbag said:
Oh, and I treated the rash on the brake lever...amazingly it disappeared.

Hey I used that same technique! Works brilliantly!
 
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.

Peter, how did you repair the tire?

Plug n play from outside.
Not to most professional way but this tire will soon be replaced with T32
I got a plug kit on Amazon, but haven’t got one to work without leaking.
Mind sharing info for your plug kit?



e1fZiOZ.jpg


I also bought ^this^ particular set on Amazon, except for the red and blue rubber plugs I brought home from work. I keep this kit at home.
I don't use string plugs because I find rubber is more flexible and holds tire pressure better, so rubber on rubber, always with glue. No leaks.
Then I only cut off 2-3 mm of excess above the tire. I don't use a flame for the repair.
Just remember that repairing motorcycle tires is not recommended due to the warning on the sidewall—they should be replaced.
If you have a tubeless tire, get a nail or screw and don't carry a tire repair kit, you can always inflate the tire to its maximum pressure without removing the nail... and in most cases, you'll get home safely.
I also have a portable tire repair kit with three or four CO2 cartridges, and if I'm going on a trip longer than 1,000 miles, I usually take a portable 12V air compressor with me.
I've never been stranded or towed.

For cars, I use a different procedure at the workshop. I use mushroom-shaped rubber plugs that I install from the inside of the tire, and glue. I never plug the sidewall or shoulders of a tire, nor use two or more plugs, nor repair any tire that is not safe according to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. For a specific reason, a car tire can be inflated to its maximum allowable pressure, which is higher than the factory-set pressure.


ToLVyrB.jpg


Very interesting! A variation on the "Snot Rope" repair, with a more sturdy rubber insert! My interest is due to two recent repairs on our car tires - on on Mrs. G's CRV and one on my Fiesta. We both picked up screws and required repairs. I tried my Amazon "mushroom plug" kit on both, but they both leaked. Pulled out my old trusty Snot Rope kit and they're both holding fine. Wouldn't use that method on a motorcycle tire, although it would probably be fine.
 
I finally got the left muffler off after lots of heating and beating.  Cleaned up the left original and bolted it on, so the bike is back to both originals.  I like it.

Then I realized when I went to mount the new license plate that the large ugly bracket had been removed by the previous owner.  He had drilled holes in his license plate.  I didn't want to do that, so I found some scrap aluminum and made a small ugly bracket.  So small that it is hidden and therefore not really ugly.  I put the tag on last night and went for a ride this morning.  I'm loving the bike.  I have a few more things to do before it is totally sorted, but it is definitely getting there.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-07-26 at 9.00.38?AM.webp
    Screenshot 2025-07-26 at 9.00.38?AM.webp
    76.1 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20250726_115437277.webp
    PXL_20250726_115437277.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Nice job Lunchbag! Now, take the bracket back off and paint it black with some gloss and it will look like it came like that from Honda.
 
On my way home, I saw a parked RS.
Initially, I wanted to stop and wait for the owner....but didn't see any activity on the forum so I rode home.

Anybody parked his RS in Belfountain, Ontario on Saturday, July 26 around noon ???????????????????????

We had a list of members by country and MY, not maps...cannot locate this link...Cormanus???
 
Yesterday was pretty neat. I've got four jackets currently listed for sale on FB Marketplace that are too large for me now. Wish I still worked in my old shop, as I had a shipping station, and I'd be able to list them here and ship to anyone.

Anyway, my favorite jacket is my Olympia Alpha. Been wearing it, but being a bit big on my now, it flaps in the wind and is pretty aggravating. I've been cruising Marketplace for jacket listings, and there's a guy in Chino Hills showing racks of new jackets available for $65 each. Sounded tempting, and in one of the photos, he had a new Alpha tucked in with the other jackets. I messaged him "What size is that one?" To which he he answered "I have something in every size, come take a look".

Mapping his address, he's up in Carbon Canyon, a nice twisty road. I figured if nothing else, it would be a nice ride to check it out. And, the weekend was nice and mild. Had a great ride up to his place, and was bewildered by his offerings. He had quite a few bikes for sale, along with racks of jackets, boots, gloves and helmets. We didn't talk details, but he's definitely in the wholesale business in some capacity. And, the Alpha jacket was in my smaller size, so I scored!

He saw my CB1100, and wanted to check it out. He was geeking out on the bike and we had a long conversation about it. Really nice guy, a great ride, and I got what I was looking for.

If anyone in the Brea/Chino area needs riding gear, this is the guy to see!
 
Took a rode trip out to Danbury Wisconsin over the past weekend to go to my girlfriends cabin for a few days. Since she just got her license this year we wanted to take the bikes up and have her first bike trip since its just over a 2 hour ride up. Great experience for me since I finally got to use all my saddlebags and see how the CB handles fully loaded. We were able to fit 5 days of clothes and miscellaneous supplies in the CB along with each of us having a small backpack. 

We knew it was going to rain on the way up, she was a bit nervous about riding in the rain but was up to the challenge..... well what started as a light rain turned into a downpour thunderstorm for about 45 minutes of the ride. We were both absolutely soaked to the bones lol. Very proud of her for riding through the rain and handling the old magna like a champ. It was definitely a fun adventure riding through the rain together. 
Rest of the weekend was great, warm weather on the lake can't beat that!  :biker: 
And our ride home was a normal July ride in Wisconsin, hot and very humid.
 

Attachments

  • bike trip 1.webp
    bike trip 1.webp
    151.9 KB · Views: 57
  • bike trip 2.webp
    bike trip 2.webp
    188.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bike trip 3.webp
    bike trip 3.webp
    215.7 KB · Views: 54
Well done on the rain episode, MR. Can't be avoided if you want to ride distances so best learn to do it well. And invest in wet weather gear.
 
pdedse said:
Sounds like a very fun adventure!  It always good to see a young CB1100 owner...seems most of us are north of 1/2 a century.

Some of us 3/4 century  ;)   :biker:
 
peterbaron said:
MR, who rides the CB, and who the other one, or you switch bikes from time to time?

The CB is my baby, and it's just me who drives it. It's too tall and heavy for the girlfriend to feel comfortable on it. I hope the CB stays with me forever lol. 
I rarely ride the old magna anymore; it works wonderfully for a 41-year-old bike. I was going to hold onto it since I got it for next to nothing as well as a parts bike for it. I probably have just over $500 dollars into it total. I started riding last year with it after I restored it (Rode dirtbikes/atvs since I was 5) and put about 5000 miles on it no issues. I've rode it maybe 10 miles this year just test riding it and showing her how to ride the bike with her on the back. 

Anyways, it worked out well that she wanted to ride and I had a spare bike I could let her use. Replaced a few O-rings and stuff over the winter just to make sure the bike would be reliable for her. I think this fall or next spring I am going to sell the Magna and try to get her something newer with FI, ideally a vtwin cruiser of sorts that is cheap. Just want something with good low end torque so hill starts are easier for her, and she is not a speed demon more of a safety devil lol.
 
Yesterday my replacement center stand arrived, so this morning I snuck out to the garage to install it before work.

It was easy, except for re-installing the springs.  I couldn't stretch them far enough with pliers or channel grips.  I ended up using a loop of strong cord and pulling them, one at a time, onto the metal loop on the stand which they hook onto.  The inner (smaller) spring went fairly easily.  The outer one was a real bear.  I struggled to get it stretched and then displaced in the proper direction to hook onto the stand, especially with the rear tire in the way.  I ended up routing the cord to the right side of the metal loop, then to the left side of the rear wheel.  Then I gave some hard pulls on the cord, hoping for a miracle.  Eventually, I pulled so hard the cord broke.  To my astonishment, when I looked at the center stand, the big spring had in fact grabbed right onto the metal loop where it is supposed to go.  I still can't believe it worked, and I hope I never have to touch it again.

The new center stand works perfectly.  For those who didn't see the previous post, the original stand was damaged by the previous owner.  I'll post a picture below showing a comparison of the two.

I had enough time left in the morning to change the oil, which was a breeze.  I love the 17mm nut on the K&N filter.  I was surprised that none of my funnels fit in the refill hole, so I made a makeshift funnel.  I actually torqued the drain plug and filter, which I've never done on any vehicle before.  Why would I treat my CB1100 better than my more expensive vehicles?  It must be love.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250730_093859886.webp
    PXL_20250730_093859886.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
MagnaRider said:
peterbaron said:
MR, who rides the CB, and who the other one, or you switch bikes from time to time?

The CB is my baby, and it's just me who drives it. It's too tall and heavy for the girlfriend to feel comfortable on it. I hope the CB stays with me forever lol. 
I rarely ride the old magna anymore; it works wonderfully for a 41-year-old bike. I was going to hold onto it since I got it for next to nothing as well as a parts bike for it. I probably have just over $500 dollars into it total. I started riding last year with it after I restored it (Rode dirtbikes/atvs since I was 5) and put about 5000 miles on it no issues. I've rode it maybe 10 miles this year just test riding it and showing her how to ride the bike with her on the back. 

Anyways, it worked out well that she wanted to ride and I had a spare bike I could let her use. Replaced a few O-rings and stuff over the winter just to make sure the bike would be reliable for her. I think this fall or next spring I am going to sell the Magna and try to get her something newer with FI, ideally a vtwin cruiser of sorts that is cheap. Just want something with good low end torque so hill starts are easier for her, and she is not a speed demon more of a safety devil lol.

Her only experience before this trip was riding pillion? She's never even ridden a dirt bike before?
 
Back
Top