What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Bob,

A Jedi full you now are! Yoda speech learn you must now ;)

Yes, lets see those new tools!


Cormanus said:
You're a champion, Bob.  :beerchug:

Tell me about the impact driver. Is it a new-fangled electrical one? Or is it one of those marvellous old-fashioned beasts where you put the bit in the screw head and give the end a belt with a hammer?

Cormanus,

I actually have one of thosenhammer impacts.  I actually used it to remove radar test benches from most of our aircraft carriers avionics shops.  They are (were) bolted to the deck with big phillip head screws that had been in since the boats were built.  And they won’t come out with a screwdriver or speed handle.  So I would bring in my impact driver.   Most of the shop sailors had never seen one.  The mechs did, but didn’t have any so couldn’t loan me one.  Fun times.
 
I have one too milord. Like it I do.
 
Today I took the CB for a longer ride to complete the fuel economy test... and after the trip I checked the tires and here are the results:

8DDL8Dj.jpg


2SjFQ73.jpg


...the bolt's head is gone, indicating it was there the entire trip. 
I've already repaired it.
 
I hate when that happens.
 
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.
 
You know in a real emergency a screw can be used to repair a puncture temporarily
 
I ran into my old doppelganger this evening. A little over a year ago, I started seeing a guy near my office riding a '14 CB1100 a few times, but more frequently on an Enfield 650 twin with a sidecar. We'd chat when we saw each other, and I thought it was quite interesting that someone in my area had two of the same bikes I have.

Since my old company shut down and I'm not in that area much anymore, I wasn't sure if I'd see him again. This evening, Mrs. G was finishing work in Huntington Beach two towns over from my old office and wanted me to meet her at a restaurant near her that she'd been wanting to try.

I jumped on my CB and headed toward the restaurant. A few blocks away, the traffic in my lane started slowing quite a bit. I changed lanes to get past the slow-down, and at the head of the slow traffic, there he was, trundling along on the sidecar rig at about 25 mph. I gave him a wave as I passed, and he recognized me and waved back.

I was wondering when I'd see him again.
 
Gone in 60 said:
I ran into my old doppelganger this evening.
...

I the vast sea of vehicles that is the LA area, it's crazy that you came across each other again.  He's probably telling his wife and kids that he saw you again.
 
Inhouse Bob said:
All righty! Perhaps earn I will the Full Jedi Badge from Lord Popgun with all the servicing I have given the bike this month. At around 40k miles, I thought I'd better learn to do some stuff.

- New tires (Angel GT radials, as before. Thanks to Euro Motorsports of Asheville for the mounting. Good folks).
- New oil and filter (OEM filter and Honda 10w30 dinosaur renderings).
- New sprockets (OEM ratio. Thanks to several forum folks for advice and consultation on this one).
- New chain (of course).
- New sparkplugs.
- New air filter cartridge.
- New brake pads front and rear.
- New mount for the GPS (left the old one attached to my rental bike in Italy, dang it).
- New chromium bar ends donated by a fellow forum member a good while ago. Thanks, Christian!)

I gotta say, I enjoyed most of the the process. Special thanks to forum member and neighbor Mark for his help and supervision. Sorry about the occasional blue language.  :angel:
The brake pads , chain and sprockets showed no significant wear and could have gone many, many more miles. But while I was in there, why not?
I also got to purchase some fun new tools. I especially like my fancy impact driver. I need to find more things to impact!
So, I'm ready for the rally. See everyone there!
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

I'm so curious to see a picture of the new shiny bar ends. Do you perhaps have one? I find it very interesting to see how people have customized their bikes.
 
peterbaron said:
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.

Peter, how did you repair the tire?
 
Cormanus said:
You're a champion, Bob.  :beerchug:

Tell me about the impact driver. Is it a new-fangled electrical one? Or is it one of those marvellous old-fashioned beasts where you put the bit in the screw head and give the end a belt with a hammer?

It's a battery operated one. Lots of bang to it!
I have the old fashioned kind but never found it satisfactory, not to mention satisfying.
Anyhow, I now feel just like a Formula One pit crew guy!


Whoops
Inhouse BobAll righty! Perhaps earn I will the Full Jedi Badge from Lord Popgun with all the servicing I have given the bike this month. At around 40k miles, I thought I'd better learn to do some stuff.

- New tires (Angel GT radials, as before. Thanks to Euro Motorsports of Asheville for the mounting. Good folks).
- New oil and filter (OEM filter and Honda 10w30 dinosaur renderings).
- New sprockets (OEM ratio. Thanks to several forum folks for advice and consultation on this one).
- New chain (of course).
- New sparkplugs.
- New air filter cartridge.
- New brake pads front and rear.
- New mount for the GPS (left the old one attached to my rental bike in Italy, dang it).
- New chromium bar ends donated by a fellow forum member a good while ago. Thanks, Christian!)

I gotta say, I enjoyed most of the the process. Special thanks to forum member and neighbor Mark for his help and supervision. Sorry about the occasional blue language.  :angel:
The brake pads , chain and sprockets showed no significant wear and could have gone many, many more miles. But while I was in there, why not?
I also got to purchase some fun new tools. I especially like my fancy impact driver. I need to find more things to impact!
So, I'm ready for the rally. See everyone there!
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

I'm so curious to see a picture of the new shiny bar ends. Do you perhaps have one? I find it very interesting to see how people have customized their bikes.

I'll get a shot for you. Meanwhile, they came off of a 2014 DLX, so you can spy them there.
 
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.

Peter, how did you repair the tire?

Plug n play from outside.
Not to most professional way but this tire will soon be replaced with T32
 
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.

Peter, how did you repair the tire?

Plug n play from outside.
Not to most professional way but this tire will soon be replaced with T32
I got a plug kit on Amazon, but haven’t got one to work without leaking.

Mind sharing info for your plug kit?
 
Inhouse Bob said:
Cormanus said:
You're a champion, Bob.  :beerchug:

Tell me about the impact driver. Is it a new-fangled electrical one? Or is it one of those marvellous old-fashioned beasts where you put the bit in the screw head and give the end a belt with a hammer?

It's a battery operated one. Lots of bang to it!
I have the old fashioned kind but never found it satisfactory, not to mention satisfying.
Anyhow, I now feel just like a Formula One pit crew guy






Ah. I've got one of them too. It's fun for driving screws into tough wood, but somehow less satisfying than the old-fashioned one when it works. Which it doesn't always.
 
I got tags for my new-to-me CB1100 this morning.  Woo-hoo!

Over the weekend, I got started on the muffler swap.  I removed the right aftermarket muffler with great difficulty and sweated at least a pint in the process.  Went inside to cool off, change out wet clothes, and replace the sweat with a pint of beer.

Recovered some motivation, went back into the garage to tackle the left muffler, and failed (so far).  I think if I get some time this week I'll search for the bernzomatic and try hitting it with heat.

After giving up (temporarily) on the left side, I did a little clean up on the original right side muffler, mostly because it was something I could do inside the air-conditioned house.  It cleaned up nicely except for some small pitting/rust on the bottom/inside of the pipe.  Although this is the non-visible side, I thought I'd try to clean up the pitting.  Using the aluminum foil and water technique, it worked pretty well.  I'll put some chrome polish on it before I install it.
 

Attachments

  • Exhaust before-after.webp
    Exhaust before-after.webp
    102.1 KB · Views: 42
Nice job, Lunchbag. I have had good success on rusty metal using Loctite Rost Remover Naval Jelly. Let it sit for twenty minutes or so and wash it off. It is pretty strong stuff, so wear rubber gloves and keep it away from your eyes. It will remove paint, too, so be careful with it.
 
My friend who specializes in rebuilding and restoring vintage motorcycles uses 10% vinegar with salt or baking soda. I don't know the exact proportions, but I can ask him if necessary.
 
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Thanks to the tubeless tire, the ride was smooth, and the road wasn't at all winding. A low-profile radial moto tire provides the rider with increased stiffness, but only to a point.

Peter, how did you repair the tire?

Plug n play from outside.
Not to most professional way but this tire will soon be replaced with T32
I got a plug kit on Amazon, but haven’t got one to work without leaking.
Mind sharing info for your plug kit?



e1fZiOZ.jpg


I also bought ^this^ particular set on Amazon, except for the red and blue rubber plugs I brought home from work. I keep this kit at home.
I don't use string plugs because I find rubber is more flexible and holds tire pressure better, so rubber on rubber, always with glue. No leaks.
Then I only cut off 2-3 mm of excess above the tire. I don't use a flame for the repair.
Just remember that repairing motorcycle tires is not recommended due to the warning on the sidewall—they should be replaced.
If you have a tubeless tire, get a nail or screw and don't carry a tire repair kit, you can always inflate the tire to its maximum pressure without removing the nail... and in most cases, you'll get home safely.
I also have a portable tire repair kit with three or four CO2 cartridges, and if I'm going on a trip longer than 1,000 miles, I usually take a portable 12V air compressor with me.
I've never been stranded or towed.

For cars, I use a different procedure at the workshop. I use mushroom-shaped rubber plugs that I install from the inside of the tire, and glue. I never plug the sidewall or shoulders of a tire, nor use two or more plugs, nor repair any tire that is not safe according to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. For a specific reason, a car tire can be inflated to its maximum allowable pressure, which is higher than the factory-set pressure.


ToLVyrB.jpg
 
Thread starter
[quote="Lunchbag" pid='269869' dateline='1753111145']
I got tags for my new-to-me CB1100 this morning.  Woo-hoo!

Over the weekend, I got started on the muffler swap.  I removed the right aftermarket muffler with great difficulty and sweated at least a pint in the process.  Went inside to cool off, change out wet clothes, and replace the sweat with a pint of beer.

Recovered some motivation, went back into the garage to tackle the left muffler, and failed (so far).  I think if I get some time this week I'll search for the bernzomatic and try hitting it with heat.

After giving up (temporarily) on the left side, I did a little clean up on the original right side muffler, mostly because it was something I could do inside the air-conditioned house.  It cleaned up nicely except for some small pitting/rust on the bottom/inside of the pipe.  Although this is the non-visible side, I thought I'd try to clean up the pitting.  Using the aluminum foil and water technique, it worked pretty well.  I'll put some chrome polish on it before I install it.
[/QUOTE]

Nice work. I have used products from Chemical Guys to address similar situations with great success. Do not know if this product is right for the job but thought you might like to check it out:

Heavy Metal Polish Bundle

David
 
Back
Top