What did you do on or to your CB 1100 today

Today was rally prep day for me. Oil and filter change, checked air in the tires, adjusted the chain, then did a thorough clean of the bike, which it sorely needed. Then I started to gather and sort out stuff that I'll take along: a fresh set of tires, lots of tools, etc.

Yeah, I know the rally is still a week away, but a kid can dream can't he???
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Saturday was a good day. Was going to sleep in a bit, but work stress had me wide awake at dawn. Good thing, because checking my phone, my Petersen boss texted me with a request. Due to an unplanned spike in purchases of the early morning shop tour, they were short-handed. I was going to go in a bit later, but heck, I was up. Packed for the day, suited up and headed to West L.A. 

At 7:30 traffic was non-existent. Cal-Trans had been working on smoothing out The 5 freeway north of The 605, which has been pretty rough. To my enjoyment, miles of fresh, smooth pavement greeted me as I started winding north through the industrial parts of L.A. 

Getting to the museum, the motorcycle parking area was unusually populated by more riding employees that I had ever seen for a Saturday.



Had a great tour with people from all over, even Israel. I love it when I get to chat about cars with people from other countries.

Afterwards, I wanted to cruise by a few new museums going up in Exhibition Park including the Samuel Oschin Space Museum that will soon display the Space Shuttle Endeavor in launch position with tank and external rockets. It's now skinned in a shimmering stainless steel spire, but I could only glance, as there was no safe place to pull over and take pictures. Can't wait for it to open.

On the other side of the park is George Lucas' new museum going up, which looks like a space ship with a lawn on the roof. Couldn't get a full shot of it from anywhere, but I was able to sneak onto the edge of a construction area to glance at it for a moment. Another place I'm really looking forward to checking out.



Early evening now, so I made my way through Downtown to The Bike Shed to check out the doings and grab a coffee to perk up for the lane-split journey south till the freeway would open back up south of The 605.

As soon as I rolled in on the CB1100, as usually happens, a few people strolled up with "Wow, haven't seen one of those in a long time". Pulling up to a motorcycle crowd, you don't get the "What year is that?" you typically do from non-riders.

I greeted them with thanks for their interest in my Honda, and we started chatting. Then, we grabbed drinks, sat on the outside patio to talk more, and that became the evening. 

Pietro from Italy was on a gorgeous R9T. I'm over my BMW lust, but if I were to go back, his would have to be the bike.



"So Bryson, what are you riding?" "The Ducati chopper over there." 
"Um... Ducati... chopper?"

Yup.



His bike became the topic of conversation till it got dark, we bid safe riding to each other, and went our separate ways, hoping to meet up again. Pietro was heading home, Bryson was headed to a ballroom dancing class, and next to where I parked my CB, a group of lady sport bike riders, all with pink bikes, was revving up and heading out as well. 

Rode home in the twilight, and had spent enough time with my new friends that the ride home was in light traffic, no splitting needed. Nice.

What a fantastic moment! Great motorcycles, but I like your CB1100 the best. Smile
 
That's a beautiful day, Gone!


Ollie said:
... For some reason when I see old abandoned homes like this I imagine the families who lived there, the parents with children then becoming grand parents, how did they live, the good times and the hard times, why was the house abandoned, what became of them?


...

Too bad about the bump, but nice to hear the guy took it well.  Ride by there again with your hand-pruner in the saddlebags, and trim that bush down to size.  You'll save somebody else a major headache.

RE: abandoned homes...about a month ago a guy from Alaska posted a shot of his DR650 in front of an a long house with more than an average number of windows on the side.  It looked to be from the early 1900s.  I posted a similar comment to yours, that I liked to imagine who lived there, what happened to the place, etc.  The guy who posted the photo knew the story: it was a brothel and each window along the long side of the house was a small bedroom where the gals did their business.  The gold-mining area fell on hard times and people moved on, their customer base dwindled and the house of ill-repute closed shop.

Not an answer I was expecting, but still interesting.
 
Interesting, I always assumed brothel rooms to be windowless for some reason?

Nah I won't trim someone's bush but maybe the Subaru driver will since he apparently drives that road often.
 
Cooldrum305 and I met up this morning for the "21st Annual West Coast CB1100 Rally" (we skipped about the first 19) at the Good Coffee shop in Troutdale, Oregon.  
4fz6jH8.jpg


We got to know each other a little more, discussing retirement issues, previous bikes owned, our children, what brought us to Oregon, and generally had good conversation while enjoying a late summer morning.

Not only do we both have CB1100s, but we also own Kawasaki Ws...mine the 800 and his an original 650 (is it a 2000 or 2001? I forget).  We've also had Sportsters and we wear HJC helmets.
EVnmHhY.jpg
 
S76KGZ7.jpg


yinHxD8.jpg


Around noon we took off to ride together in the rural areas southeast of Gresham, generally making our way west towards Cooldrum305's side of the town.  

We ended our ride at a park where we had met 3-4 years ago to begin a ride on the Ws.
16uRVzJ.jpg


Cooldrum305 and I first met about 9 years ago when we did a small group ride around the area of Mt. Hood, an outing led by Guth and attended by 6-7 riders.
 
What did i do on or to my CB today?  Well...

I BOUGHT IT.  :hilarious:

Today i firmly agreed to purchase michael1954's 2017 CB1100 ex.  We're working out shipping details next since theres no way i can pick it up all the way out in Texas. 

After riding Third Gear Steve's much younger and less worn out CB1100 at the Kingsport Rally, i came to understand just how badly i needed a refresh.  My CB has been ridden HARD and for a great many miles.  Regular maintenance just isnt enough to keep up, and I see that now.  When faced with paying a professional mechanic to do a major overhaul, vs upgrading my bike by buying a gently used 2017 model, my choice was easy. I look forward to putting an absurd amount of miles on my second CB. 

As for my first CB....its going to get sold.  I will put it up here on the forum for a discounted forum price, but wait for that post.
 
Thread starter
Congrats on the purchase. I am delighted the motorcycle is staying in the Forum Family! David
 
A few years ago I drove through Southwest Utah in my 1923 Ford Runabout with others from the Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) Model T Ford Club. You haven't lived until you've driven Zion, and Bryce in a Model T Ford.  It would be a great place to ride a good motorcycle, too. 
 [attachment=635]
 

Attachments

  • 2 Sunrise Model Ts.webp
    2 Sunrise Model Ts.webp
    101.8 KB · Views: 42
pdedse said:
...Cooldrum305 and I first met about 9 years ago when we did a small group ride around the area of Mt. Hood, an outing led by Guth and attended by 6-7 riders.


Speaking of that trip around Mt. Hood...I was looking for a photo from the past and came across this one, which is from the ride in either 2016 or '17.  

f0sfjmO.jpg


Guth is on the far right.  Cooldrum305, is that you in the middle (second rider from left)?  I can't remember the other guys' names, nor whether they are still around.
 
That photo gives an interesting perspective on your height, pdsdse.
 
pdedse said:
pdedse said:
...Cooldrum305 and I first met about 9 years ago when we did a small group ride around the area of Mt. Hood, an outing led by Guth and attended by 6-7 riders.


Speaking of that trip around Mt. Hood...I was looking for a photo from the past and came across this one, which is from the ride in either 2016 or '17.  

f0sfjmO.jpg


Guth is on the far right.  Cooldrum305, is that you in the middle (second rider from left)?  I can't remember the other guys' names, nor whether they are still around.

Yep, that's me second from the left
 
They made a windjammer for the CB1100??
 
IIRC there was a thread on the old board about how he modified it to fit the CB. Might be here too if it got ported over.
 
pdedse said:
Speaking of that trip around Mt. Hood...I was looking for a photo from the past and came across this one, which is from the ride in either 2016 or '17.  

f0sfjmO.jpg


Guth is on the far right.  Cooldrum305, is that you in the middle (second rider from left)?  I can't remember the other guys' names, nor whether they are still around.

The third guy from the right above...I think I shared a hotel with him at the West Rally in September of 2018.  Here he is below at the rally, first guy, black shirt on the right.  But I can't remember the name!  Sorry if it's "you".
7tiA6oY.jpg


And in the above photo, what's the forum member who put something like 140,000 miles on his bike before he sold it recently, Haystack, from Nebraska?  Yep, he actually made it to the West forum (first guy, left side).  Pretty sure he got an award for traveling the farthest.  And he rode his CB there. 

There's that Windjammer fairing again
QsQ7xhy.jpg
 
Fun trip.  I think I arrived last and left last; after everybody packed up, I rented an inflatable kayak and floated from a few miles upriver back down to where we stayed along the river:
iRysvm0.jpg
 
Wow, now I've seen it all - a Windjammer on a CB1100! I never really liked the look, but they did a great job before the motorcycle companies finally woke up and designed bikes with some wind protection and storage options.
 
Thread starter
Beautiful pictures, pdedse. The Bonneville Dam area is incredible. David
 


Participated in the 2023 Huntington PD benefit ride “Ride With Cops”. Registration 
proceeds used to buy Christmas gifts for less fortunate children.
Over 130 bikes participated. Every intersection along a 100 mile route was manned by state, county or local police or fire departments to keep the ride moving.  
You can imagine how many CB1100’s were there. :hilarious:

I lost track of how many times I was asked “What year is that?”. Swarmed as soon as I pulled on the lot.
82 degrees and not a cloud in the sky!

Pictured is a “rose amongst thorns”.  :D
 
Back
Top