cb400four_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The trip was expensive (but worth every penny), about 7,000 usd per person including everything such as international flights, tips, everything. You could do it for less: we met two twenty-something Aussies (I don't think they had 100 bucks between them) who were riding the same route but without a guide or support van and they were staying at the cheapest local guesthouses. You could spend more . For me, the ability to ride in a small group with my friends and having an experienced tour guide allowed us to learn the local culture more closely than if we were self-guided.The ferret_imp said:Wow that had to be an awesome experience. Thanks for posting. Was the trip expensive? There must be a helmet law, since everyone in the pics were wearing helmets?
:beerchug:Thanks Steve, it was an awesome trip. I'm working with my buddy Jim from the ride and we are putting together a route map and some edited videos from the GoPro cameras. Work crowds out my time but I'll post it soon. We did not get to Tay Ninh or the Nui Ba Den mountain, but we did go to Cu Chi. Our tourguide spent some time in the Cu Chi tunnels during the war and he told us some emotional stories about the fear of being buried alive, day after day -- he is a very tough guy but his experience was so bad that after the war he wouldn't go back into the tunnels even though they were preserved for tourists (I went inside, it was very cramped, he waited topside).CA200_imp said:What a awesome trip. Trip of a life time.
It would be cool if you could post a route map, I am sure there are
other vets here that would like to see. Did you go through Tay Ninh
or Cu Chi. Did you see Nui Ba Den?
Was there in 69-70.
Great pictures!!!

Thanks mfg! I've lived in Hong Kong from 2008 to 2011 (took the wife and high school kids as well) and also travelled a bit in Asia (Japan, China, Thailand, Cambodia, as well as India) and I've really enjoyed the places I've been; where have you visited?MFGUSA_imp said:I would be humbled in your presence. I know of no one in my circles that would have considered it let alone actually DO it! I've spent a fair amount of time in Asia and dreamt about doing something like that.
Incredible and well put together. You could sell the story to the Discovery Channel.
The 333 beer was great, it tasted more like a slightly sweeter / slightly less hoppy Heineken. Vietnam has several local beers (333, Hanoi, etc) and they were similar in that they are sharp pilsners and served pretty cold, so they are pretty refreshing in the hot weather.MFGUSA_imp said:How was the Sabeco 333 beer? Taste anything like San Miguel?
cb400four_imp said:Thanks Steve, it was an awesome trip. I'm working with my buddy Jim from the ride and we are putting together a route map and some edited videos from the GoPro cameras. Work crowds out my time but I'll post it soon. We did not get to Tay Ninh or the Nui Ba Den mountain, but we did go to Cu Chi. Our tourguide spent some time in the Cu Chi tunnels during the war and he told us some emotional stories about the fear of being buried alive, day after day -- he is a very tough guy but his experience was so bad that after the war he wouldn't go back into the tunnels even though they were preserved for tourists (I went inside, it was very cramped, he waited topside).CA200_imp said:What a awesome trip. Trip of a life time.
It would be cool if you could post a route map, I am sure there are
other vets here that would like to see. Did you go through Tay Ninh
or Cu Chi. Did you see Nui Ba Den?
Was there in 69-70.
Great pictures!!!
Here is our tour guide describing some details about the tunnels shown in this diorama.
Thanks mfg! I've lived in Hong Kong from 2008 to 2011 (took the wife and high school kids as well) and also travelled a bit in Asia (Japan, China, Thailand, Cambodia, as well as India) and I've really enjoyed the places I've been; where have you visited?MFGUSA_imp said:I would be humbled in your presence. I know of no one in my circles that would have considered it let alone actually DO it! I've spent a fair amount of time in Asia and dreamt about doing something like that.
Incredible and well put together. You could sell the story to the Discovery Channel.

Thanks mfg! I've lived in Hong Kong from 2008 to 2011 (took the wife and high school kids as well) and also travelled a bit in Asia (Japan, China, Thailand, Cambodia, as well as India) and I've really enjoyed the places I've been; where have you visited?MFGUSA_imp said:I would be humbled in your presence. I know of no one in my circles that would have considered it let alone actually DO it! I've spent a fair amount of time in Asia and dreamt about doing something like that.
Incredible and well put together. You could sell the story to the Discovery Channel.
Tim, I've worked a bit in Timor-Leste where the practice is very common. Usually a scooter and sometimes with a couple of kids as well.MrTim_imp said:Awesome trip report CB400four, some workmates and myself are planning a similar tour of Cambodia in November so this is much appreciated!
Oh and I have to ask, is it common for young women to ride side-saddle on the pillion? I think it looks very lady like and surprisingly appealing!
Tim, I've worked a bit in Timor-Leste where the practice is very common. Usually a scooter and sometimes with a couple of kids as well.Cormanus_imp said:Tim, I've worked a bit in Timor-Leste where the practice is very common. Usually a scooter and sometimes with a couple of kids as well.MrTim_imp said:Awesome trip report CB400four, some workmates and myself are planning a similar tour of Cambodia in November so this is much appreciated!
Oh and I have to ask, is it common for young women to ride side-saddle on the pillion? I think it looks very lady like and surprisingly appealing!