the Ferret
Road warrior
Good night what a great adventure and spectacular photos
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Yeah it was a pretty easy ride on a sunny day. It's very wide actually and there are no washboard sections, sand, or big rocks to contend with.Frulk_imp said:My stomping grounds. Been over that stretch many times on various bikes. Lot more exciting when it’s wet and turns to gumbo. Looking forward to more pics.
He called the few bike shops in the area for a tire - no go. He finally found one back in Grand Junction at the BMW dealer. So the plan was made for him to continue north with us on UT 261 to the junction with UT 95, where he would head east to Grand Junction and we would stay with the ride plan and turn west & then north toward Lake Powell. He would get his tire replaced and then meet back up with us on Day 3 somewhere in the Fremont, Utah area.

I had no idea you were going to Mars. :huh:Stichill_imp said:Yeah it was a pretty easy ride on a sunny day. It's very wide actually and there are no washboard sections, sand, or big rocks to contend with.Frulk_imp said:My stomping grounds. Been over that stretch many times on various bikes. Lot more exciting when it’s wet and turns to gumbo. Looking forward to more pics.
Riding out West is such a different vibe for us easterners! Really exciting!
Riding Day 2 - Wednesday Mid-Day - Muley Point & A Fork In The Road
When you reach the top of the Moki Dugway, there's a 5-mile sand / clay / gravel road on the left that leads to Muley Point, overlooking the San Juan River Canyon. To Frulk's point about rain-soaked "gumbo", there was a sign that said the road was impassable in wet weather, i.e. don't get caught in the rain on the other end! It was hard enough to ride on when dry.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
We lingered a good, long time at Muley Point. It's a meditative spot.
Finally it was time to head back to the bikes.
![]()
And Then There Were Three
It was at this point that our buddy riding the GS decided he couldn't continue on the front tire he had on the bike. He was rueful that he had not replaced it before leaving home in Colorado Springs. He thought it had 1500-2000 miles left on it, but the abrasive "chip seal" pavement we'd been riding on in Utah was chewing it up and it had entered the soft compound. It was at that point where the tire can suddenly be on the cords in 150 miles. It had gotten into his head and he wasn't enjoying the ride as a result.
His phone had no service, but my Verizon phone had signal. "Can you hear me now?"He called the few bike shops in the area for a tire - no go. He finally found one back in Grand Junction at the BMW dealer. So the plan was made for him to continue north with us on UT 261 to the junction with UT 95, where he would head east to Grand Junction and we would stay with the ride plan and turn west & then north toward Lake Powell. He would get his tire replaced and then meet back up with us on Day 3 somewhere in the Fremont, Utah area.
Fork in the road at UT 261 & UT 95
![]()
![]()
The Cheese Weasels have a club motto: Leave No Man Behind...Unless It's Time to Go!
![]()
There's so much to do out there! We knew we were bypassing all kinds of great stuff, but of course we didn't know all the local secret places!Frulk_imp said:Man. You guys rode past some great non technical slot canyons accessible from the road. Again I wish I could have been there to help you with a locals point of view. In 2006 I kayaked the Dirty Devil. Dragging the yak for the first 20 miles or so until the canyon walls constricted and there was enough water to consistently float. Basically it was almost 100 miles of quicksand in close to 6 days. I’m still flossing sand out from between my teeth.
And like the Cheese Weasels the Hite pumps saved old Frulk a number of times.
A godsend. Turned out there were more stations strung along UT 276 that we weren't aware of.Frulk_imp said:Man. You guys rode past some great non technical slot canyons accessible from the road. Again I wish I could have been there to help you with a locals point of view. In 2006 I kayaked the Dirty Devil. Dragging the yak for the first 20 miles or so until the canyon walls constricted and there was enough water to consistently float. Basically it was almost 100 miles of quicksand in close to 6 days. I’m still flossing sand out from between my teeth.
And like the Cheese Weasels the Hite pumps saved old Frulk a number of times.
From misery come the best stories!Frulk_imp said:Man. You guys rode past some great non technical slot canyons accessible from the road. Again I wish I could have been there to help you with a locals point of view. In 2006 I kayaked the Dirty Devil. Dragging the yak for the first 20 miles or so until the canyon walls constricted and there was enough water to consistently float. Basically it was almost 100 miles of quicksand in close to 6 days. I’m still flossing sand out from between my teeth.
And like the Cheese Weasels the Hite pumps saved old Frulk a number of times.
Almost literally.GoldOxide_imp said:I had no idea you were going to Mars. :huh:Stichill_imp said:Yeah it was a pretty easy ride on a sunny day. It's very wide actually and there are no washboard sections, sand, or big rocks to contend with.Frulk_imp said:My stomping grounds. Been over that stretch many times on various bikes. Lot more exciting when it’s wet and turns to gumbo. Looking forward to more pics.
Riding out West is such a different vibe for us easterners! Really exciting!
Riding Day 2 - Wednesday Mid-Day - Muley Point & A Fork In The Road
When you reach the top of the Moki Dugway, there's a 5-mile sand / clay / gravel road on the left that leads to Muley Point, overlooking the San Juan River Canyon. To Frulk's point about rain-soaked "gumbo", there was a sign that said the road was impassable in wet weather, i.e. don't get caught in the rain on the other end! It was hard enough to ride on when dry.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
We lingered a good, long time at Muley Point. It's a meditative spot.
Finally it was time to head back to the bikes.
![]()
And Then There Were Three
It was at this point that our buddy riding the GS decided he couldn't continue on the front tire he had on the bike. He was rueful that he had not replaced it before leaving home in Colorado Springs. He thought it had 1500-2000 miles left on it, but the abrasive "chip seal" pavement we'd been riding on in Utah was chewing it up and it had entered the soft compound. It was at that point where the tire can suddenly be on the cords in 150 miles. It had gotten into his head and he wasn't enjoying the ride as a result.
His phone had no service, but my Verizon phone had signal. "Can you hear me now?"He called the few bike shops in the area for a tire - no go. He finally found one back in Grand Junction at the BMW dealer. So the plan was made for him to continue north with us on UT 261 to the junction with UT 95, where he would head east to Grand Junction and we would stay with the ride plan and turn west & then north toward Lake Powell. He would get his tire replaced and then meet back up with us on Day 3 somewhere in the Fremont, Utah area.
Fork in the road at UT 261 & UT 95
![]()
![]()
The Cheese Weasels have a club motto: Leave No Man Behind...Unless It's Time to Go!
![]()




















It's almost more amazing in hindsight, ferret. We were so busy and covering so much varied ground that it was hard to absorb it all. When I'm retired I will definitely be spending more time out West.The ferret_imp said:Just awesome stuff Stichill
Stichill_imp said:Thank, guys, it was a wonderful adventure!
One thing I learned: I don't really mind riding on dirt roads if it means I get to see things I otherwise could not. But I have to say, I don't think I would make a habit of riding dirt just for the sake of being on dirt. It was always so nice to get back on smooth tarmac after a romp in the gravel.
Eeeww! Not much worse than fresh tar and chips. The stones stick to the tires and every "tink!" means a little black dot of tar on your bike.The ferret_imp said:Stichill_imp said:Thank, guys, it was a wonderful adventure!
One thing I learned: I don't really mind riding on dirt roads if it means I get to see things I otherwise could not. But I have to say, I don't think I would make a habit of riding dirt just for the sake of being on dirt. It was always so nice to get back on smooth tarmac after a romp in the gravel.
LOL on tonight's ride I turned on a road that had recently been tar and chipped. Tiny little stones, some loose just laying on the surface. I couldn't wait to get back on hard smooth asphalt
can't even imagine riding on some of the "roads" in your pics, even on my upcoming mini ADV :rofl:
Imagine the guys riding far worse than this on early 1910s motorcycles on tires having almost no tread! Having the 50/50 tires made a huge difference...would not want to try this on smooth street-only tires.The ferret_imp said:Stichill_imp said:Thank, guys, it was a wonderful adventure!
One thing I learned: I don't really mind riding on dirt roads if it means I get to see things I otherwise could not. But I have to say, I don't think I would make a habit of riding dirt just for the sake of being on dirt. It was always so nice to get back on smooth tarmac after a romp in the gravel.
LOL on tonight's ride I turned on a road that had recently been tar and chipped. Tiny little stones, some loose just laying on the surface. I couldn't wait to get back on hard smooth asphalt
can't even imagine riding on some of the "roads" in your pics, even on my upcoming mini ADV :rofl:
GoldOxide_imp said:Whew! Stichill.

