Trex Crash Bars

Is the silver plate a part of them?Looks like they would be protective. Styling wise not sure they go with the quarter fairing and pipe
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Is the silver plate a part of them?Looks like they would be protective. Styling wise not sure they go with the quarter fairing and pipe
Yes, but they are removable. they are supposed to be skid plates to take the brunt of a forced slide.
 
Looks really good to me, dude. Don't crash, though. I've tested these things before, had the OEM version on my '83 Interceptor and threw it down the road because I grabbed a handful of front brake at night in a panic stop. They saved the bike from any damage at all.

That's when I figured I'd better learn to use the front brake properly.
 
They look ok to me. I think maybe some black paint on that plate would be something to think about though.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
They look ok to me. I think maybe some black paint on that plate would be something to think about though.
The bars look fine, but those plates do pop out and look like they were "added on."
I too would suggest getting the plates painted or powder coated to blend in - but that's just a personal preference.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=837

This link will give folks an idea of what these bars look like under better lighting conditions.

They are an "interesting" and "complex" design, but I think that I'll stick with my SW-Motech Bars.
I don't like to poo poo anyone's choice of mods, but now that I see a better picture, I like my SW bars better too.
But what the hey, life is all about personal choices, likes and dislikes.
 
I can almost guarantee those crash bars will make contact with the covers in a decent crash. The MO-Tech's won't because they don't go near the covers.
 
AzBob_imp said:
I can almost guarantee those crash bars will make contact with the covers in a decent crash. The MO-Tech's won't because they don't go near the covers.
I'm gonna order a set of OEM guards from Honda, been putting it off. Not really worried about what they can do in a crash, but just dropping the bike can hole the case and/or bash the crankshaft. They would not make contact with the covers due to design.

About 165 bucks shipped from bikebandit.com, best deal I could find. Not bad.
 
I'm not fond of them, but please take no offense -- I prefer bikes in stock condition. To me, they seem over-engineered and clumsy, like the bike thinks it's a CB1100-ADV.

I know stuff happens, but there's really no reason to drop a bike. With the exception of the OE winglets on the ST1100 and ST1300, I'm not fond of preemptively cloaking a bike in extraneous hardware to protect it in the off chance that it goes over.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm not fond of them, but please take no offense -- I prefer bikes in stock condition. To me, they seem over-engineered and clumsy, like the bike thinks it's a CB1100-ADV.

I know stuff happens, but there's really no reason to drop a bike. With the exception of the OE winglets on the ST1100 and ST1300, I'm not fond of preemptively cloaking a bike in extraneous hardware to protect it in the off chance that it goes over.
They are cheap insurance, that's all. OEM guards will not reduce SAE lean angle, cannot say about any other guards.

I personally have not dropped a bike while riding it, but they do fall over with help. A lady helped my ZX-10R fall over by backing into it and pushing it off the sidestand. Needed a new frame. Both my supersports have the full case protection, R&G on one, GB on the other. Have extended frame sliders on the Ninja also, mid upper frame, that saves about $1500 worth of plastic in a tipover.

There may not be any good reason to drop a bike, but they do obey the laws of physics and tend to fall over from time to time. The CB1100 is a great candidate for this type of prophylaxis because if that heavy sucker falls, especially on the timing cover, you are going to have some smashed stuff and maybe a ruined crankshaft.

If you crush a side cover while out on a ride somewhere, you are stranded. That's why my F800GS has all the BMW and Touratech protection the law will allow.

If the bike is on a slight slope and has not been rolled against compression in gear before putting down the sidestand, it might fall over. Sometimes we don't get the sidestand down quite all the way and it collapses. The bike falls over. Sometimes the pavement is off camber and the bike falls away from the sidestand and smashes into the ground. Sometimes, newer riders or even old hands put a foot on a bit of sand or just plain don't get their footing, and the bike falls over.

I see a lot of guys pouring enough money to buy three new CB1100s at today's discount prices into a single CB1100 and then selling them for no more than what a new one would cost. A couple of hundred for something that can keep a new rider from doing serious damage to the bike cannot possibly be ill-advised.
 
They don't do it for me as much as others I've seen. Nice price though. Personally, I like the painted black SW-Motech crash bars, that integrate very well on the bike, but cost only slightly more. The T-rex bars don't look like they were designed for the CB1100 Deluxe even though advertised as such. If anything they might not be and black bars would never look as good on the Deluxe as chrome.
Rebel, very, VERY NICELY DONE!
 
I know they serve a good purpose but I just can't get used to seeing crash bars on these bike. Maybe I'd change my tune if I ever needed them and didn't have them...
 
Some of us have sliders. Wolf, how well do sliders work?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Some of us have sliders. Wolf, how well do sliders work?
I really don't know. I've seen a lot of guys at the track who have thrown it down the road and I hear they do protect things quite a bit. I actually don't use them on my track bike, only the GB case guards. They stick out too far.

I only have them on my ZX-10R because if the thing were to fall over again I know I'm looking at a lot of money to fix it.

Basically anything that juts out and will catch the bike and cause it to start tumbling is not good for a racetrack bike. On the street the bike will probably hit something, so the sliders are mainly for slow-speed tipovers.

Stunters build these huge cages on their bikes.
Blockhead_imp said:
I know they serve a good purpose but I just can't get used to seeing crash bars on these bike. Maybe I'd change my tune if I ever needed them and didn't have them...
Well, there is such a thing as insurance but I hate to make claims, and also if you hole a case, you are stranded, most likely.

I guess if I really hate the way they look I can remove them, but that's not likely.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
I know they serve a good purpose but I just can't get used to seeing crash bars on these bike. Maybe I'd change my tune if I ever needed them and didn't have them...
The black bars basically disappear, IMO.
 
Back
Top