Tool Kit?

Rexburgtom_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey, Do CB1100s not come with a tool kit under the seat anymore? Asked the dealer and he said not any longer. All other bikes I've owned had a basic kit, and the Goldwing had a large plastic case full of tools needed for basic work. What the heck?
 
Cheap cross point screwdriver, fuse puller and I do not recall the third.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Cheap cross point screwdriver, fuse puller and I do not recall the third.
A convenient vinyl pouch. With a lovely snap closure.
A convenient vinyl pouch. With a lovely snap closure.
You are so descriptive!

I was thinking there was a third item in that pouch.
Funny, I kept the tools from my two Yamahas and used the Yamaha wrenches for my custom tool kit.

Don't recall using a single tool on the road for the CB1100
Retsel_imp said:
I received nothing with my new, US, 2014 Standard.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
You missed out on <$5!
 
You missed out on <$5!

True, and I already have enough tools for any situation. And thanks to "Ferret", there is a pretty good list, posted, of what could be required on any road trip.

In truth, the only tool I have needed, for the CB while traveling, would be a philips screw driver (loose headlight bracket screw). So, is the lack of a kit by honda a statement on their confidence in the quality of their product? Or just a cost down decision?

Oh, and the loose screw? It was totally my fault, as I had removed the bracket to paint it. Used blue locktight on it when I got home.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I think my $ 15,000.00 (retail) ST 1300 came with a vinyl pouch, a 5 mm allen wrench and a rectangular piece of foam. We never did figure out what the foam was for.

I haven't even looked under the seat of my new $16.5K (retail) FJR Yamaha. Have no clue if it came with any tools or not.
 
Yes, it was a 5 mm to remove the side covers.
The ferret_imp said:
I think my $ 15,000.00 (retail) ST 1300 came with a vinyl pouch, a 5 mm allen wrench and a rectangular piece of foam. We never did figure out what the foam was for.

I haven't even looked under the seat of my new $16.5K (retail) FJR Yamaha. Have no clue if it came with any tools or not.
Oh, that would be like not opening presents on a birthday!
The day/night I bring new bike home, seat comes off, side covers come off, stickers get removed (a real pain on the Moto Guzzi), connectors get checked, uncut cable ties get snipped, unruly cables rerouted, etc...then I figure out where to put tools, foot pump, Seal N Air, etc.

BTW, everything was already tidy on the CB1100. I only remember one sticker, on the fuel tank and it came off very easy.

Not much room on the MG V7II, but small Pelican cases fit well:

V7 II mini saddle bags complete
 
Bikes are so reliable now, there isn't much you can do. Plugs never foul out, carb floats never stick, wires don't come loose out of their connector blocks.

Hondas come with whatever tools are necessary to access the battery and fuses. Usually that's a + screwdriver or allen wrench and a fuse puller. Of course, it's a cost -saving measure, since most people only use a phone and a credit card. And now, just the phone.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Bikes are so reliable now, there isn't much you can do. Plugs never foul out, carb floats never stick, wires don't come loose out of their connector blocks.

Hondas come with whatever tools are necessary to access the battery and fuses. Usually that's a + screwdriver or allen wrench and a fuse puller. Of course, it's a cost -saving measure, since most people only use a phone and a credit card. And now, just the phone.
When you buy a new Honda, you have the most well sorted stock bike available. I have added a couple of multi tools under the seat just for giggles.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your reply. I went to the hardware store to purchase two small bolts/nuts to mount the new license plate. Then discovered that I had no kit under the seat, also purchased a multi tool to quickly do the job. May have to add a "metric cresent wrench"...….
 
I bought off the shelf tool kit shortly after buying my 2014 std. Fits nicely in the storage cubby.


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
 
For some reason, known only to Honda, in 2011 and 2011 we got the full kit in Australia too.
 
In my younger Harley days the joke was, "what was the main tool a group of bikers brought with them? Answer, a pickup truck"

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
There was quite a lengthy thread about this subject several years ago.
My 2014 only came with those few tools too, but the dealer ordered all the rest for me free of charge.
 
DBM_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Bikes are so reliable now, there isn't much you can do. Plugs never foul out, carb floats never stick, wires don't come loose out of their connector blocks.

Hondas come with whatever tools are necessary to access the battery and fuses. Usually that's a + screwdriver or allen wrench and a fuse puller. Of course, it's a cost -saving measure, since most people only use a phone and a credit card. And now, just the phone.
When you buy a new Honda, you have the most well sorted stock bike available. I have added a couple of multi tools under the seat just for giggles.
When you buy a new Honda, you have the most well sorted stock bike available. I have added a couple of multi tools under the seat just for giggles.
Exactly!
Bike suddenly fails on the road
Tool under the seat
What is the next step? ( you are not professional):idea:
Type you answer here:...............................................................
* last time I repaired my car on the road: -20*C, 2am, hwy, fuel pump failure, winter 1985:)
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Bikes are so reliable now, there isn't much you can do. Plugs never foul out, carb floats never stick, wires don't come loose out of their connector blocks.

Hondas come with whatever tools are necessary to access the battery and fuses. Usually that's a + screwdriver or allen wrench and a fuse puller. Of course, it's a cost -saving measure, since most people only use a phone and a credit card. And now, just the phone.
Many areas I traveled did not have cell service.
Might not seen another vehicle for over 100 miles.

Tools can be handy when:
mirror arm is bumped and needs to be tightened
headlight needs adjusting higher or lower
_________________________________________

Most times my tools are used to help someone else:
Last time was a Vrod blowing oil, in Baker, CA, as the owner changed the battery and the breather rubber did not reseat. Took only a few minutes to fix, but it took a 1/4" drive ratchet, 6" plus 3" extensions, 5 mm hex bit (no clearance for a L wrench)...and they were under the seat of my bike.
 
Or, you need to change a bulb.
 
Back
Top