tire pressure

The internet is a wonderful way to take something that is very simple and make it complicated. The Shop Manual and the Owner's Manual both say 36 Front and 42 Rear cold on the factory supplied tires.

The more important discussion would be what type of gauge do you check your tires with? That might give someone something they could use because the variety of gauges available could change the inflation by as much as 10% either way.
 
I use a digital gauge but I don't know its accuracy, but it does match another digital gauge I have. And I don't know its accuracy specs either.
 
I'm run the spec. 36f 42r. I had the problem with a bad gauge before, caused me a bunch of problems before I figured out it was the gauge. I use a digital now and check it against another gauge every so often. Running higher pressures is going to cause the tire to wear out faster in the middle and your going to lose some grip. I've been debating coming down a few lbs. on the front soften the ride a little and add a little grip. My tires are hold their pressure just fine. Have had the CB since October and have only had to add a couple of lbs. a couple of times.
 
when I get a new bike I always use what the manual says then I adjust front and rear to balance the ride over bumps and potholes. my 883 sportster I run 30 f 40r, my fxstc I run 40f 46r and my cb110 I'm staying with what I have now and the tire is not going to blow up or pop off or lose grip because of my rideing style I have my bike set up for me not you and I know it will work for me.
 
My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen at delivery and claimed I would see a benefit from it. I'm running the recommended 36/42 and have felt no reason to change. I'm still waiting to discover the mysterious benefit I will get from having nitrogen in the tires.
 
meowguy_imp said:
The internet is a wonderful way to take something that is very simple and make it complicated. The Shop Manual and the Owner's Manual both say 36 Front and 42 Rear cold on the factory supplied tires.

The more important discussion would be what type of gauge do you check your tires with? That might give someone something they could use because the variety of gauges available could change the inflation by as much as 10% either way.
I use a Longacre analog gauge. They used to have discontinued/closeout options available on their site which cut the prices down significantly.
 
Hey Redbirds,

My dealer filled my tires with 78% nitrogen. Seems to work pretty good... ;)
 
Damn. He probably put in 21% oxygen too and a bunch of other stuff like CO2!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen at delivery and claimed I would see a benefit from it. I'm running the recommended 36/42 and have felt no reason to change. I'm still waiting to discover the mysterious benefit I will get from having nitrogen in the tires.
The benefit is that nitrogen doesn't expand (or contract) nearly as much as oxygen does, so fewer cold-weather low-pressure situation.

I really didn't expect this to turn into such a lengthy thread! I pulled into Discount Tire on my way to work (where the general response was "why does that car only have two wheels?') when I found out that the dealership had overinflated the back tire. Thank you all for the great info here!

In the Prius world it's common to run 3PSI over spec to get better mileage. On that note, I replaced my totaled white one with a 2014 red one to match the CB! CB doesn't need a solar panel to keep the interior cool though :cool:
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen at delivery and claimed I would see a benefit from it. I'm running the recommended 36/42 and have felt no reason to change. I'm still waiting to discover the mysterious benefit I will get from having nitrogen in the tires.
The benefit is that nitrogen doesn't expand (or contract) nearly as much as oxygen does, so fewer cold-weather low-pressure situation.

I really didn't expect this to turn into such a lengthy thread! I pulled into Discount Tire on my way to work (where the general response was "why does that car only have two wheels?') when I found out that the dealership had overinflated the back tire. Thank you all for the great info here!

In the Prius world it's common to run 3PSI over spec to get better mileage. On that note, I replaced my totaled white one with a 2014 red one to match the CB! CB doesn't need a solar panel to keep the interior cool though :cool:
I run my cars at maximum pressure recommended on the sidewall (not above!) and the gas mileage is much better than what the recommended "comfort" pressure can provide. Between 38-40 psi depending on the tire. Ride is a bit firmer but 10-15% better mileage on the open road.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey Redbirds,

My dealer filled my tires with 78% nitrogen. Seems to work pretty good... ;)
I do too when I bring the tires back up to proper level. No wonder i'm not noticing the "difference".
shdwghst457_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen at delivery and claimed I would see a benefit from it. I'm running the recommended 36/42 and have felt no reason to change. I'm still waiting to discover the mysterious benefit I will get from having nitrogen in the tires.
The benefit is that nitrogen doesn't expand (or contract) nearly as much as oxygen does, so fewer cold-weather low-pressure situation.

I really didn't expect this to turn into such a lengthy thread! I pulled into Discount Tire on my way to work (where the general response was "why does that car only have two wheels?') when I found out that the dealership had overinflated the back tire. Thank you all for the great info here!

In the Prius world it's common to run 3PSI over spec to get better mileage. On that note, I replaced my totaled white one with a 2014 red one to match the CB! CB doesn't need a solar panel to keep the interior cool though :cool:
The benefit is that nitrogen doesn't expand (or contract) nearly as much as oxygen does, so fewer cold-weather low-pressure situation.
If that is the benefit, it's strictly a placebo effect. I have had to adjust pressure in the CB's tires as often as I have done so in the wife's V-strom which has the "78%" mixture. My limited knowledge about Boyle's Law and my many years as a scuba diver would lead me to believe that no one could truly see a difference in the expansion rate of pure nitrogen and "air" which is mostly nitrogen. I would think the moisture content would have far more to do with it as bottled nitrogen is essentially "dry" with near zero moisture content. On the other hand, using nitrogen would not have any adverse effect either.
 
Digital gauges are pretty accurate (they are programed by a chip). I use two, portable when inflating and TPMS..........they are within +-.5 pounds of each other. My TPMS also have tire temperature.........boy, was I surprised the first time I did extended ride in the summer.......with a cold pressure of 41-2 psi after about an hour of riding temp was up in the mid 50's range. I have 3 bikes with TPMS and they all read the same accuracy.
Being a retired aircraft tech, nitrogen has been used in aircraft tires since..............a very long time ago. Nitrogen is stable but the big thing is you don't want moisture inside a tire, moisture cause corrosion and can freeze at altitude.
 
cbfan,

I asked the Navy aircraft tire mechs at work and they said the same thing you did. N2 is dry so no corrosion from moisture.

I think for non-race cars the big effect is on the dealers profit line. YMMV
 
And this applies to oxygen. Aviators oxygen has no moisture whereas oxygen used in hospitals has alittle moisture cause it makes it easier on our nasal passages.
 
Well, unless we are going to keep some dehumidified nitrogen around, in a high-pressure cylinder in our garage, nitrogen is just a gimmick. It's going to leak out and need to be replenished with good old "air", which is readily available and easily compressed, stored, and transferred.

And I dislike those green valve caps, too.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Well, unless we are going to keep some dehumidified nitrogen around, in a high-pressure cylinder in our garage, nitrogen is just a gimmick. It's going to leak out and need to be replenished with good old "air", which is readily available and easily compressed, stored, and transferred.

And I dislike those green valve caps, too.
Amen to that!
 
Back
Top