Till What Age Do We Ride ?

Hit 72 on the last birthday and I can feel the need for a light weight ride very soon. I'm short at 5' 6" and multiple surgeries and arthritis are taking the wind out of my sails. When I bought my CB1100 in 2014 it did not feel heavy. I could easily put it on the center stand and it was easy to move around the garage. Now, not so much, it feels heavy now and riding Sparky's NC 700X has been a revelation, so light and easy to move about. I wanted to make the CB my last bike that I would keep the rest of my riding days but now I don't know. I really am bummed by the idea of selling the CB as I do love this bike, the way it looks, sounds and feels. I've ridden my friend's Spyders and the three wheelers just do nothing for me; I would much prefer a Miata or S2000 if I give up on two wheels. At least I have options which is better than what many people in our age group have.
 
I hope you can hang in there redbirds, but the CB1100 is a brute until it's moving and I can understand why you might be considering something lighter.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I hope you can hang in there redbirds, but the CB1100 is a brute until it's moving and I can understand why you might be considering something lighter.
I hope to. Is that a deadly Box Jelly avatar?
 
redbirds_imp said:
Hit 72 on the last birthday and I can feel the need for a light weight ride very soon. I'm short at 5' 6" and multiple surgeries and arthritis are taking the wind out of my sails. When I bought my CB1100 in 2014 it did not feel heavy. I could easily put it on the center stand and it was easy to move around the garage. Now, not so much, it feels heavy now and riding Sparky's NC 700X has been a revelation, so light and easy to move about. I wanted to make the CB my last bike that I would keep the rest of my riding days but now I don't know. I really am bummed by the idea of selling the CB as I do love this bike, the way it looks, sounds and feels. I've ridden my friend's Spyders and the three wheelers just do nothing for me; I would much prefer a Miata or S2000 if I give up on two wheels. At least I have options which is better than what many people in our age group have.
As we all get older, we become less physically fit and flexible.
Prior purchasing a 2-door vehicle, I would test getting in and out as these doors are longer and reaching seat belt from pillar B becomes more difficult. Also these sporty cars are much lower. Double obstacle for obese people.
Base on dealer experience, I see elders buying small SUV.
 
My brother has a Miata. I kinda fall into it and have to climb out of it. Don't think I could live with that. I'd do a Mustang convertible if I was stuck on having a rag top. But then I've never tried sitting in a Mustang, maybe it's the same. I'm more of an Accord Sport guy with the windows rolled down and moon roof open on good days. Otherwise heater in winter and air conditioning in summer.
 
Redbirds, like you, I thought the CB would be the grand finale of my M/C riding. It was, for 2 wheel riding, but I did not sell my CB1100 due to its weight.
However, if you are no longer comfortable with it, then a change is understandable.
I owned a 2003 Miata (MX5), purchased new, the Shinsen Version. It was a lot of fun in SoCal Canyons and took it on trips, such as Los Angeles to Phoenix.
At that time a mini spare was provided.
Now, it is only a tire pump and sealant.

Biggest negative is sitting so low, as to not see over a parking lot hedge, etc.
The ferret_imp said:
My brother has a Miata. I kinda fall into it and have to climb out of it. Don't think I could live with that. I'd do a Mustang convertible if I was stuck on having a rag top. But then I've never tried sitting in a Mustang, maybe it's the same. I'm more of an Accord Sport guy with the windows rolled down and moon roof open on good days. Otherwise heater in winter and air conditioning in summer.
Much easier than getting in or out of a Slingshot!
peterbaron_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Hit 72 on the last birthday and I can feel the need for a light weight ride very soon. I'm short at 5' 6" and multiple surgeries and arthritis are taking the wind out of my sails. When I bought my CB1100 in 2014 it did not feel heavy. I could easily put it on the center stand and it was easy to move around the garage. Now, not so much, it feels heavy now and riding Sparky's NC 700X has been a revelation, so light and easy to move about. I wanted to make the CB my last bike that I would keep the rest of my riding days but now I don't know. I really am bummed by the idea of selling the CB as I do love this bike, the way it looks, sounds and feels. I've ridden my friend's Spyders and the three wheelers just do nothing for me; I would much prefer a Miata or S2000 if I give up on two wheels. At least I have options which is better than what many people in our age group have.
As we all get older, we become less physically fit and flexible.
Prior purchasing a 2-door vehicle, I would test getting in and out as these doors are longer and reaching seat belt from pillar B becomes more difficult. Also these sporty cars are much lower. Double obstacle for obese people.
Base on dealer experience, I see elders buying small SUV.
Am I elderly at 73 1/2?!
I have been wishing a Suzuki Samarai were still available!
 
I've test driven a Miata and liked it but would love to find a low mileage S2000 if I go that rout. 40 odd years ago I visited my uncle in California for a week. He had a BMW 2002tii that he loaned me so I wouldn't have to rent a car; that sedan was a blast to drive but would be hard to find anything today to compare that I could afford.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My brother has a Miata. I kinda fall into it and have to climb out of it. Don't think I could live with that. I'd do a Mustang convertible if I was stuck on having a rag top. But then I've never tried sitting in a Mustang, maybe it's the same. I'm more of an Accord Sport guy with the windows rolled down and moon roof open on good days. Otherwise heater in winter and air conditioning in summer.
Several months ago I picked up an '05 Honda Accord V6 Coupe , and love it! Moonroof and windows open, the fantastic stereo playing, cruising down PCH is sublime!
 
The ferret_imp said:
My brother has a Miata. I kinda fall into it and have to climb out of it. Don't think I could live with that. I'd do a Mustang convertible if I was stuck on having a rag top. But then I've never tried sitting in a Mustang, maybe it's the same. I'm more of an Accord Sport guy with the windows rolled down and moon roof open on good days. Otherwise heater in winter and air conditioning in summer.
Well, that's funny, in German that is called "Sonnendach" which translates literally to sun roof.
 
Django, the sonnendach Is known in English as it translates: a sun roof. For some reason, Honda has always branded it as a moon roof.

redbirds_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I hope you can hang in there redbirds, but the CB1100 is a brute until it's moving and I can understand why you might be considering something lighter.
I hope to. Is that a deadly Box Jelly avatar?
Well spotted, redbirds. Lord Popgun gave it to me for my birthday.
 
It likes to be held!! So I’ve heard. Let me know ;)
 
Plenty of irukandji here:

cd004d8e4856e4901798f42b6de0b43e.jpg

:)
 
At 71 thought it was time for a change, had my cb 1100 for just over three years and love it. My other ride was a suzuki gsr 600 i had had from new for twelve years, sold it on ebay and bought a new 2019 model honda cmx rebel 500 [good discount] , both the rebel and suzuki around 190 kg the suzuki was ok to wheel around but the rebel feels really light and is fun to ride so l have my back up in place if the cb1100 becomes too much which will be a sad day but hey, enjoy while it lasts
 
I am 78 and still riding. I have many bikes including our Honda. I think I'll quit when I have to cause I can't anymore. God only knows when that will be. I still kick start my chopper. I love the Honda as I had them as a kid and still think they are mechanical marvels.
 
VEGASDAVE_imp said:
I am 78 and still riding. I have many bikes including our Honda. I think I'll quit when I have to cause I can't anymore. God only knows when that will be. I still kick start my chopper. I love the Honda as I had them as a kid and still think they are mechanical marvels.
Yes they are :thumbsup:
 
At 62, I am hoping for another 10 years before I hang it up. I started riding dirt bikes as a teen, and raced motox until my mid 30's. Switched to off road type dual sporting in my 40's and 50's. Now its just me and my trusty 11. I can say that just recently I have had some problems with arthritis in my left hand (left handed carpenter) that has made pulling in the clutch painful after a hundred miles or so. Also, the weight, moving the bike around the garage has become a bigger challenge. Might have to switch to a 500-750 DCT bike soon if I want to enjoy riding with out pain.
 
Numerically I’ll be 66 next month or, as I like to say - celebrate the 50th anniversary of my 16th birthday. Been riding since I was 16 and have always owned a motorcycle. A motorcycle is just built into my DNA. My wife understands. Got into sidecars a few years back and thoroughly enjoy them, great everyday rides and grocery getters. Still ride two wheels also, like I said my wife understands.
She’s the one with the convertible sports car, in addition to a Can-Am; neither do much for me. Just not a car guy. Can-Am is a great well finished engineering marvel. All hers, once a year enough for me.
I’ve been consciously moving to smaller and lighter bikes the past several years. Do like to ride long distances but always take the long way there, I’ve got the time.
My “age goal” always shifts out a bit. Maybe some morning I’ll wake up and say enough.
Not today.
 
Back
Top