Till What Age Do We Ride ?

Gone in 60_imp said:
I feel like a youngster at 52 here. I can't see an end to riding any time soon, of course. I think about the future, like anyone does, and have a neighbor who's 70 and can't swing a leg over any more, and recently went to a Harley trike. A short time back, I was admiring a new Ducati Monster in a parking lot, and a woman walked up to it. She said she just turned 72, and had to "trade down" from a fast bike because she's getting older.

So, guess it's just relative. Hope I'm still deciding on what kind of bike I want when I'm 72.
GI60, I have two kids way older that you :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
 
I was at a motorcycle show. There was an 85 year old guy that had his V-Twin Indian Chief. This guy was thin... frail and walks up to the bike to start it. I thought to myself that there is no chance of it. Well to cut this short... he twerks this and that kicks it through a few time with the decompression on and then stands on the kickstarter and he was just heavy enough to kick the engine through and it started. He then makes a few more adjustments and it settles into a nice idle. He hops on it and takes off. A very wobbly start but picks up speed and off he goes.

This guy was my hero! I hope to still be riding till 85 if I make it that far. LOL!
 
Our Canadian Rocky ('14 blue CB) is just few years younger, has 5 motorcycles and 2 are most likely kick started..
He gets on any of his bikes and takes off without any wobbling... :thumbsup::excited:
 
I'm 53. I started riding 40 years ago on an XR75. I figure I've got 40 years left. I'm hoping that hoverbikes will be in full production and affordable by then :)
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc why is the Stryker ok for you to ride and not a regular motorcycle. It was a vision problem you had wasn't it? Not a strength or stability problem, right?
Nope, but I promised my wife of 49 years no more motorcycles.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh20OgFLEAAYASAAEgJEr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can still clap between pushups.
Heh, heh, Ryker is like a motorcycle with a spare wheel.....let this statement stay between us...:)

P.S. when wy wife starts complaining, I'll do the same :banana:
:beerchug:
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc why is the Stryker ok for you to ride and not a regular motorcycle. It was a vision problem you had wasn't it? Not a strength or stability problem, right?
Nope, but I promised my wife of 49 years no more motorcycles.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh20OgFLEAAYASAAEgJEr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can still clap between pushups.
Starting at 8500???...you don't say!!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc why is the Stryker ok for you to ride and not a regular motorcycle. It was a vision problem you had wasn't it? Not a strength or stability problem, right?
Nope, but I promised my wife of 49 years no more motorcycles.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh20OgFLEAAYASAAEgJEr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can still clap between pushups.
That gets my applause! :thumbsup:
 
We lost George at 82-83, stomach cancer. But when I first saw him he was shuffling around the motel at the Guzzi Not a Rally. Thought the senior center bus dropped him off at the wrong spot. So I get to talking to him, ex-Navy diver (too many decompression problems hence the shuffling), smart, gentle guy full of fantastic stories - and rides a Griso.

I've told the story before; but that guy could ride! Toured all over the West - no windscreen, no luggage and stock seat!
 
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc why is the Stryker ok for you to ride and not a regular motorcycle. It was a vision problem you had wasn't it? Not a strength or stability problem, right?
Nope, but I promised my wife of 49 years no more motorcycles.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh20OgFLEAAYASAAEgJEr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can still clap between pushups.
Starting at 8500???...you don't say!!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Doc why is the Stryker ok for you to ride and not a regular motorcycle. It was a vision problem you had wasn't it? Not a strength or stability problem, right?
Nope, but I promised my wife of 49 years no more motorcycles.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh20OgFLEAAYASAAEgJEr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can still clap between pushups.
That gets my applause! :thumbsup:
That is for the two cylinder 600.
That was my test ride for 10 miles and it performed well.
But climbing grades at altitude, the 900 three cylinder was my choice.
$11,319 out the door, including sport windshield
 
53 here. Didn't start riding until 48. But, have managed to get ~31K on two bikes so far or 5,500 miles/year in a short (MN) riding season. Have to keep going til 70 or so to make up for starting late! Here's to good health.
 
As a 26 year old now.. I'll ride till the day I die. The day I cannot ride anymore will in fact be the day I died.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
As a 26 year old now.. I'll ride till the day I die. The day I cannot ride anymore will in fact be the day I died.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I hope that's true and I hope that's not true. Meanwhile, enjoy the ride :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
As a 26 year old now.. I'll ride till the day I die. The day I cannot ride anymore will in fact be the day I died.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
At 26 I was like you but when you get older you look at life very different , especially when you have grand children.
 
One of my friends came by yesterday, we had a chat about gps use etc. and then he hopped back in his new car, put his seat belt on and drove off.
He is 80 now and his only problem was that he died two years ago for 20 seconds, he has a pacemaker now and looks as good when he was 70, if he had a motorbike license he could ride carefully too, so it all depends, interesting thread.
 
I've seen 71 summers come and go, and still riding, tho not as boldly as before. I plan to ride as long as I am able, and so far, doing well. Use it or lose it, I say.
 
I started riding at 20 and stopped at 43 when Penny was no longer interested and I was playing a lot of baseball in the summer.

At 68 I bought a CB500XA and rode it for 3 year averaging 12,000 kilometers a summer. At that time I was in great health. At 71 I traded it in and bought a CB1000 EX and rode another 12,000 kilometers, but lost my gall bladder somewhere during that time.

The following two years the weather was horrible for motorcycling. I only rode 4400 kilometers those years. I also had a my prostate gland removed the first year and had radiation treatments the second.

I am now 74. This year the weather has been good, but I have been unable to ride because of the Covid pandemic restrictions. People from the city were not allowed in cottage country. Most of the restaurants were either closed or take-out only. Washrooms were not available. At my age I could not ride 400 to 500 kilometers a day without a few washroom stops. So this year my CB sits in the garage gathering dust. Hopefully the restrictions will be different and I will be ride in the fall.

When I am too old to ride I will probably buy a convertible.
 
Thread starter
Where I ride most of the time (BRP) there are plenty of trees whom need watering during the summer and they are my bathroom when real ones where closed .
I do get it Nortoon , when you have to go you do HAVE to go !
 
As I turned 64 in April I hope to have many years left to ride. When the two wheels get to be too much for me, I will build one of these:
 
Back
Top