Thunderbirds Are Go

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
There's a thread in the Other Stuff / Motorcycling - General area called "If You Could Own Just Three Motorcycles..." where I posted my list. I cheated and picked four. Well, today I acquired the third of four on the list. It's a 2014 Triumph Thunderbird ABS with just 5,000 miles.







Why a heavy cruiser? Why a Thunderbird? As I explained to Mrs. Stichill, "The Thunderbird stole my soul in [url=https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/285057-The-Cheese-Weasels-Do-Death-Valley]Death Valley." Near the end of [url=https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/285057-The-Cheese-Weasels-Do-Death-Valley?p=2466153&viewfull=1#post2466153]this post I describe some of the objective reasons I was impressed with it. But honestly, the Thunderbird simply delights with its character and charisma. When I'm in the saddle the bike makes me literally giddy. I feel like I'm on top of the world when riding this exceptional machine.

In the photos, the bike is still dripping dry after a quick wash. I got up early and left home this morning at 5:30 AM to drive north to the Triumph dealer in Cleveland where the Thunderbird was being offered for sale. Its condition exceeded expectations and the price was right. The test drive (in the rain) was flawless. The sale was executed and I proceeded to trailer it four hours back home in horrendous downpours while dodging the giant potholes on I-71 between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Tremendously nerve-wracking drive. When I arrived home at 6:00 PM, the bike was absolutely covered in road grime...oh the humanity! I did a quick wash and blow dry and parked it for tonight because I had to go inside and finish getting ready to catch a 6:00 AM flight to Arizona for a week of vacation! Then the next week I fly to Germany with only one day at home in-between. With any luck the weather will be nice and I'll get in a little more seat time that day.
 
Wow, congratulations! You've been clinging tight to this desire for a number of years -- very glad you made good on your promise to yourself! She's a beauty! Do both your CBR250R and F800GT survive?
 
Hey, congratulations Stichill on the T-Bird. I am a big Triumph fan and if I consider modern cruisers, the Thunderbird would be top of the list. It is a solid choice. The Rocket III would be another, but your choice is the classier one.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, LR! Yes, it takes me a long time to line things up.

The jaunty little CBR250R is a lifetime keeper but after four years of looking for love in all the wrong places, the F800GT will depart the stable. You and I have talked about it...the GT is a bike that seems perfect on paper but in the end it just doesn’t stir my soul. The rational mind tells me it’s a great middleweight sport tourer but the emotional mind tells me...nothing. Nothing except, “Let’s ride something else.” It comes down to the engine as the fundamental determinant of a bike’s essence. In the GT, the 180-deg firing order and bizarre vestigial connecting rod balancing system delivers the eerie sensation of a giant iPhone set on vibrate. The cam hit that happens over 5500 on up is “thrilling” but can’t and shouldn’t be deployed frequently enough to maintain interest.
Thanks, GO. The T-bird is like a little locomotive. You can feel the weight and momentum but it’s all under control like it’s on rails.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks, LR! Yes, it takes me a long time to line things up.

The jaunty little CBR250R is a lifetime keeper but after four years of looking for love in all the wrong places, the F800GT will depart the stable. You and I have talked about it...the GT is a bike that seems perfect on paper but in the end it just doesn’t stir my soul. The rational mind tells me it’s a great middleweight sport tourer but the emotional mind tells me...nothing. Nothing except, “Let’s ride something else.” It comes down to the engine as the fundamental determinant of a bike’s essence. In the GT, the 180-deg firing order and bizarre vestigial connecting rod balancing system delivers the eerie sensation of a giant iPhone set on vibrate. The cam hit that happens over 5500 on up is “thrilling” but can’t and shouldn’t be deployed frequently enough to maintain interest.
Thanks, GO. The T-bird is like a little locomotive. You can feel the weight and momentum but it’s all under control like it’s on rails.
There is no doubt.

At nighttime replaying such an engine throb in my head puts me asleep in less than a minute (this is a very good thing). For some, an analogy is like rain on the roof top at night = therapy.
 
Congratulations, Stichill. Lovely looking bike.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
The bike looks great! But I'm really excited about that garage!!
The building of that garage is the main reason for the delay between wish and fulfillment that LR mentioned! Finally got it finished and electrified at the end of 2018.

Thank you, Cormanus. It’s not a Honda CB1100 but at least it’s red and shiny!
 
Congrats Stichill!!

Did you get a hot puppet chick to ride on the back? :P
 
Thread starter
The A-man_imp said:
Congrats Stichill! That Triumph is a real beauty. Any chance we'll see her in person at this year's rally?
Thanks A-man! I’ve been procrastinating on signing up for the rally, but yeah if I get my act together I’ll roll up there on her!

Popgun I guess that’s a Harley culture / Sturgis reference? No, there won’t be any blowup dolls riding pillion on this machine. I’m planning on toning down the pirate styling influence by swapping the hideous OEM buckle bags for some nice leather-covered hardbags from Viking.

f3221132471b8ee94aff0a45f09a7b75.png
 
Well, well congrats Stichill.Nic elooking motorcycle. Hope it gives you many years and miles of smiles. Garage looks great btw. You know in Arizona you could pick up Rboes super clean 2013 CB 1100 and complete the stable. lol
 
Stichill_imp said:
The A-man_imp said:
Congrats Stichill! That Triumph is a real beauty. Any chance we'll see her in person at this year's rally?
Thanks A-man! I’ve been procrastinating on signing up for the rally, but yeah if I get my act together I’ll roll up there on her!

Popgun I guess that’s a Harley culture / Sturgis reference? No, there won’t be any blowup dolls riding pillion on this machine. I’m planning on toning down the pirate styling influence by swapping the hideous OEM buckle bags for some nice leather-covered hardbags from Viking.

f3221132471b8ee94aff0a45f09a7b75.png
Lol - no love for the aye matey pirate? The anticipated hard side bags look much better Stichill.

- - -

BTW: In the side view one would be hard-pressed to see that the Thunderbird is liquid-cooled. Triumph did a good job on the dressing of the lump.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well, well congrats Stichill.Nic elooking motorcycle. Hope it gives you many years and miles of smiles. Garage looks great btw. You know in Arizona you could pick up Rboes super clean 2013 CB 1100 and complete the stable. lol
So many bikes, so little money! :)

I was waffling back and forth between getting a CB1100 or a Thunderbird next. It finally came down to the uniqueness of the riding experience. The T-bird delivers a wallop of sensations whereas the CB100 is engineered to be smooth and subtle. I decided to go for thrill vs chill this time around.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
The A-man_imp said:
Congrats Stichill! That Triumph is a real beauty. Any chance we'll see her in person at this year's rally?
Thanks A-man! I’ve been procrastinating on signing up for the rally, but yeah if I get my act together I’ll roll up there on her!

Popgun I guess that’s a Harley culture / Sturgis reference? No, there won’t be any blowup dolls riding pillion on this machine. I’m planning on toning down the pirate styling influence by swapping the hideous OEM buckle bags for some nice leather-covered hardbags from Viking.

f3221132471b8ee94aff0a45f09a7b75.png
Lol - no love for the aye matey pirate? The anticipated hard side bags look much better Stichill.

- - -

BTW: In the side view one would be hard-pressed to see that the Thunderbird is liquid-cooled. Triumph did a good job on the dressing of the lump.
Ha ha! No eye patches and Jolly Rogers for me. I like clean styling. Yeah the liquid cooling sleight-of-hand is pretty well-executed by Triumph. I think they do it better than most.
 
At this stage of my life, cruisers do not appeal to me, especially ones with no mufflers! That said, your Thunderbird would win me over! Absolutely love the style of that bike! May I suggest you wear your new fancy Italian helmet vs a black salad bowl helmet, when riding it. Also, please don’t remove the mufflers!
Ride and enjoy!
 
Stichill, Your thread title is Thunderbirds are go. Thunderbirds is a 60’s TV show for kids that used puppets. And there was a hot chick. Apparently remade later with the Are Go added. There was a few shows back then that used puppets. Hokey, but I watched them. Most had a hot chick. Except for the Davey and Goliath which was religeous.

I though you were making a double reference. Show—Bike—both Thunderbirds.

Didn’t know about the Harley thing.
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
At this stage of my life, cruisers do not appeal to me, especially ones with no mufflers! That said, your Thunderbird would win me over! Absolutely love the style of that bike! May I suggest you wear your new fancy Italian helmet vs a black salad bowl helmet, when riding it. Also, please don’t remove the mufflers!
Ride and enjoy!
Yeah, suhawk, I think the T-bird is much spiffier and sportier than the usual bagger. I have a rule: “No ugly bikes.” If the T-bird was just as it is except ugly, I don’t think I could live with it in my garage.

I’m with you on the helmet and the pipes! As a motorcyclist (not a biker), I’m profoundly irritated and embarrassed by our erstwhile two-wheeled brethren saving their lives with their loud pipes. Speaking of the Italian helmet, April is almost here. I keep checking motostorm.it for availability but so far no joy.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Stichill, Your thread title is Thunderbirds are go. Thunderbirds is a 60’s TV show for kids that used puppets. And there was a hot chick. Apparently remade later with the Are Go added. There was a few shows back then that used puppets. Hokey, but I watched them. Most had a hot chick. Except for the Davey and Goliath which was religeous.

I though you were making a double reference. Show—Bike—both Thunderbirds.

Didn’t know about the Harley thing.
Whoosh! Right over my head! I know about the old show Thunderbirds Are Go and intentionally used that reference for the thread title, but I didn’t make the mental connection between the marionettes on the show and your puppet reference. Doof! :P

I think I’ve seen pictures of life-sized dolls riding on the back of Harleys at Sturgis, which is why that interpretation popped into my mind. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top