Thunderbirds Are Go

Thread starter
Thank, guys! This riding life of ours is so interesting, isn't it? Lots of intangible emotions mixed up with rational analysis in the decision-making.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Thank, guys! This riding life of ours is so interesting, isn't it? Lots of intangible emotions mixed up with rational analysis in the decision-making.
I suppose it is one of the few modern, arguably accessible "sanctuaries", that when respected, minimizes harm to others.
 
I've long complained about the poor cross-wind stability of my F800GT, and of course the CBR250R that I briefly owned was a featherweight and didn't care for crosswinds either, so I would imagine the heavier and longer Triumph is a revelation by comparison. It sure is a pretty bike.
 
Thread starter
Insightful comment about crosswinds, LR. I don't think we typically get the sustained linear crosswinds out here that you probably experience out there in Colorado. Our winds tend to be gusty and multi-directional but can still be bothersome. The little CBR250R does tend to get blown around a bit but it's almost more of an effect on the rider's body than the bike itself. Riding out west I was gob-smacked by the power and tenacity of straight-line winds on plains and coming through passes. I could imagine they'd be challenging on the F800GT. On the Thunderbird they barely registered as a concern.

Thanks for the comment on the bike's looks, LR. I think you and I have similar tastes in bikes so it's nice to hear your reaction.

I'm looking forward to trying out some longer-haul riding on this bike. I feel like this is a bike I could happily go across the country on, even enjoying the ride across the level plains of Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc.
 
enjoy riding across Kansas and Nebraska :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
enjoy riding across Kansas and Nebraska :rofl:
Not the interstates. The rural highways. Traffic-free open highways appeal to me and I like the sense of isolation. I just dropped Google Street View in a few rural locations and found these scenes. I would be happy to ride along any of these roads.

Kansas
880570f4b29afc7822e3c172b17d3ce8.png


f9c4e89ffa6598a118757124a9b86f6a.png


d610811fd51f6fc7b8e6d453c1663ee4.png


Nebraska
0a5348c562d24f5a56ea61570d6d6618.png


390c962536c77461cdf631a1b3860a67.png


58cc03c430bf5164d4b38ccf1bedc1c2.png
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Agreed on rural highways. The presented examples are seriously infinite.
Infinite! Perfect term and concept.
The ferret_imp said:
Lets hope your initial impression were right and the bird suits you for a long time.
I feel really good about this bike, ferret. When I threw a leg over this bike for a test ride and thumbed the starter button, my entire being said "Oh, yeah. This is definitely it." That feeling intensified once I got underway and it kept building during the test ride. When I pulled back into the dealer's lot, it was already a foregone conclusion the bike would be coming home with me.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Welcome to Arizona! Not a bad time of year to visit. We're getting some heat but not the serious stuff.

I've talked to folks that own a T-bird and they love it. I could never warm to the curve of the pipes and the way they treated the over head cam caps. Naturally; my long legs had a hard time finding a good home on it. But I was still sorely tempted a couple years ago. Maybe some day you'll bring it to AZ and we can swap bikes for a bit.
It's been amazing in southern Arizona this week! Here's just a tiny sampling of what we've seen in the beautiful Sonoran Desert.

d21285786e0fa0a517f849f29c114ce5.jpg


6d5ec146d74287c53f69ed6767ba4f15.jpg


8ea4db0c736b12f81c9f6090c6529057.jpg


57949b440578d7a51ec5b1ecc9e32f5a.jpg
 
When our son lived in Scottsdale AZ we visited the state many times and loved the dessert in the right time of the year. We were looking to buy a place in Fountain Hills but then our son moved ! Moral of this : Do not follow your kids .
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
AZ country is amazing. Glad you are able to get out and enjoy it.
Houtman_imp said:
When our son lived in Scottsdale AZ we visited the state many times and loved the dessert in the right time of the year. We were looking to buy a place in Fountain Hills but then our son moved ! Moral of this : Do not follow your kids .
It's a great tonic for the winter-weary! Lots of bikes out and about as the conditions are ideal. These roads were very popular with riders:

762b885a9470a9e502c385a5c91015f6.png
 
Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Welcome to Arizona! Not a bad time of year to visit. We're getting some heat but not the serious stuff.

I've talked to folks that own a T-bird and they love it. I could never warm to the curve of the pipes and the way they treated the over head cam caps. Naturally; my long legs had a hard time finding a good home on it. But I was still sorely tempted a couple years ago. Maybe some day you'll bring it to AZ and we can swap bikes for a bit.
It's been amazing in southern Arizona this week! Here's just a tiny sampling of what we've seen in the beautiful Sonoran Desert.

d21285786e0fa0a517f849f29c114ce5.jpg


6d5ec146d74287c53f69ed6767ba4f15.jpg


8ea4db0c736b12f81c9f6090c6529057.jpg


57949b440578d7a51ec5b1ecc9e32f5a.jpg
Before moving to OR in 1999, we lived in Scottsdale and Chandler, AZ for 9 years. Had it in mind to return, thought it would have happened by now. Maybe retirement? I miss the Sonoran desert.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill: While in the Tucson area - and if this is a thing that interests you - be sure to check out the Titan Missile Museum.

Home | Titan Missile Museum

See how a third world war was averted :) so that we could ride today.
Great suggestion and definitely of interest! We had that on the list of alternate stops if we wore ourselves out hiking in the desert. Unfortunately ran out of time...we're leaving today!
pdedse_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Welcome to Arizona! Not a bad time of year to visit. We're getting some heat but not the serious stuff.

I've talked to folks that own a T-bird and they love it. I could never warm to the curve of the pipes and the way they treated the over head cam caps. Naturally; my long legs had a hard time finding a good home on it. But I was still sorely tempted a couple years ago. Maybe some day you'll bring it to AZ and we can swap bikes for a bit.
It's been amazing in southern Arizona this week! Here's just a tiny sampling of what we've seen in the beautiful Sonoran Desert.

d21285786e0fa0a517f849f29c114ce5.jpg


6d5ec146d74287c53f69ed6767ba4f15.jpg


8ea4db0c736b12f81c9f6090c6529057.jpg


57949b440578d7a51ec5b1ecc9e32f5a.jpg
Before moving to OR in 1999, we lived in Scottsdale and Chandler, AZ for 9 years. Had it in mind to return, thought it would have happened by now. Maybe retirement? I miss the Sonoran desert.
The desert has a way of pulling you back to it.
The ferret_imp said:
Great fauna pics Stichill
Thanks, ferret! So many cool scenes to capture. Often I had to just put the camera down and enjoy the moment without technology.
 
Stichill_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill: While in the Tucson area - and if this is a thing that interests you - be sure to check out the Titan Missile Museum.

Home | Titan Missile Museum

See how a third world war was averted :) so that we could ride today.
Great suggestion and definitely of interest! We had that on the list of alternate stops if we wore ourselves out hiking in the desert. Unfortunately ran out of time...we're leaving today!
pdedse_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Welcome to Arizona! Not a bad time of year to visit. We're getting some heat but not the serious stuff.

I've talked to folks that own a T-bird and they love it. I could never warm to the curve of the pipes and the way they treated the over head cam caps. Naturally; my long legs had a hard time finding a good home on it. But I was still sorely tempted a couple years ago. Maybe some day you'll bring it to AZ and we can swap bikes for a bit.
It's been amazing in southern Arizona this week! Here's just a tiny sampling of what we've seen in the beautiful Sonoran Desert.

d21285786e0fa0a517f849f29c114ce5.jpg


6d5ec146d74287c53f69ed6767ba4f15.jpg


8ea4db0c736b12f81c9f6090c6529057.jpg


57949b440578d7a51ec5b1ecc9e32f5a.jpg
Before moving to OR in 1999, we lived in Scottsdale and Chandler, AZ for 9 years. Had it in mind to return, thought it would have happened by now. Maybe retirement? I miss the Sonoran desert.
The desert has a way of pulling you back to it.
The ferret_imp said:
Great fauna pics Stichill
Thanks, ferret! So many cool scenes to capture. Often I had to just put the camera down and enjoy the moment without technology.
The desert has a way of pulling you back to it.
There are energy vortexes in Sedona.

Please don't ask me how I know that.
 
Drum roll for dramatic effect.

How do you know that, GO? :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Drum roll for dramatic effect.

How do you know that, GO? :D
Man, I was really hoping no one would ask - but I forgot about you.

- - -

I have seen first hand the effects of the energy vortexes in Sedona on those sensitive to them. It is interesting and disturbing.

One can read more here.
 
Back
Top