Thought experiment: $2500 worth of improvements to the CB1100

You’ll have to explain that to me, I’m afraid. My knowledge of tyre technology (and other things) is limited. Ever since the latest iteration of CB1100 has been produced, the dimensions of the OEM 18” wheels, whether spoked or alloy, has limited tyre options.

Why are spoked rims any different?
 
Thread starter
Because a spoked wheel can typically be disassembled, separating the spokes, hub, and rim from eachother. you can then purchase new spokes, and a new rim of a different size and reassemble the wheel at a new size. This is not always possible, but with most spoked wheels it's possible.

For example, one of the users on this forum (chync) has 17" spoked wheels on his '13 CB.
 
Over the years, I notice most bikers had spend a lots of their money on their bike without them (and their spouse) knowing it, me included. Listing all upgrade at once sure will spook a lot of people, even worst so if significant others got hold of the information. Why not just upgrade here and there randomly, now and then. Enjoy the passion of riding and upgrading, i m sure its a money pit every rider here enjoy being in. Sometimes being logical will put out the flames of passion.. Now that being said, i need to go click some button on some website...
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Because a spoked wheel can typically be disassembled, separating the spokes, hub, and rim from eachother. you can then purchase new spokes, and a new rim of a different size and reassemble the wheel at a new size. This is not always possible, but with most spoked wheels it's possible.

For example, one of the users on this forum (chync) has 17" spoked wheels on his '13 CB.
Ah, thank you.
 
"Over the years, I notice most bikers had spend a lots of their money on their bike without them (and their spouse) knowing it..."

Uh boy... I can hear my wife now, going over the Visa bill...

"Honey, what's Revzilla again? You told me once.."

"Yeah, that's stuff for...um.. work."
 
That is the reason that I take care of all the bills , my wife makes the money and I spend it. This is called working together.
 
Houtman_imp said:
That is the reason that I take care of all the bills , my wife makes the money and I spend it. This is called working together.
That must take a great amount of pressure and responsibility off her shoulders. Also makes a good case for polygamy.
 
$2500 in improvements on a CB1100 is just too easy. Parts for this bike are not cheap. Honda is no longer a "Budget" bike brand. I don't know about you guys but in accessory "improvements" prices for parts for me have been in Euro Bike country.
For me at least... Just in 6 months for me on a 14 Black.....
$370 for a seat that had to be ordered from Japan... Nice seat though. DAYTONA...
$200 for a fender eliminator..
$170 for some good Protaper bars and bar clamp..
$450 for Koni shocks.. Needed. Stock suspension is set up for a $130lbs Asian guy. I'm around 225...
$40 for fork gaitors cuz they look cool.....
$180 for a Bazzaz I acquired cheap.
$400 for a Yoshi slip on,,

That's just over $1800 bucks in basics..

$450 for Adreani fork cartridges
$350 for the Guhl tune to get rid of the stupid governor.
That's $800...

$2570... Just over budget.. Too easy.. I can slash some with using the Koni progressive springs....

Stuff adds up.. Thankfully though it's a solid UJM that one can love and keep.....
 
I know this is an old post, but I recently bought steel braided brake lines for the front and rear brakes for my 2013, Non ABS CB1100. This should give much better pressure on the calipers without the fade rubber lines have and decrease stopping distance. Total for cost for both, $155
 
michael1954_imp said:
I know this is an old post, but I recently bought steel braided brake lines for the front and rear brakes for my 2013, Non ABS CB1100. This should give much better pressure on the calipers without the fade rubber lines have and decrease stopping distance. Total for cost for both, $155
Also on my list..Braided brake and clutch cables.. I got it to around $220 for the kit. I wish these just came with braided lines for what these bikes sold for new..
 
Not to criticize or anything like that but for normal riding these braided lines will not do any significant improvement...racing = different story.
Your bike, your mods your desire :thumbsup:
:beerchug:
 
IMHO braided lines improve feel and thus facilitates moderating braking, but does nothing for fading. And I'd be surprised if many of us could actually use that improved feel to reduce braking distance. I couldn't for sure. But they sure look nice and I'll probably get some, just for looks. :D
 
Cut a stock one open.

Most modern lines are already braided, as well as layered inside. Heck- even a simple coolant hose- for decades- has inlayed braided reinforcement.

Any bulging that old actual ‘just rubber’ lines had went away long ago.

That doesn’t stop companies from selling stuff though.

Note- external steel braided lines are known not just to cause damage to adjacent things they rub against- but dirt gets inside the weave and movement eventually damages the hose itself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Not to criticize or anything like that but for normal riding these braided lines will not do any significant improvement...racing = different story.
Your bike, your mods your desire :thumbsup:
:beerchug:
Yes, but the Honda manual suggest changing brake likes every couple years I think. Who does that? The Braided Steel lines will last for years, and are warrantied for the life of your bike. And they do help with stopping on a high speed stop, especially w/out ABS.
 
As there are no exciting oil threads running, and given that Michael1954 and PowerDubs have made what seem to me to be contradictory statements, can some one tell me whether there is any evidence that externally braided steel lines are superior to modern OEM lines?
 
Back
Top