Those cables were driving me crazy!

Thread starter
lemontree_imp said:
why buy Triumph branded ties when you can go cable ties?
I did have cable ties for a few days. They are not flexible. They need to be rather tight not to move, and they leave marks on the brake, clutch lines. They didn't look all that good either. Those branded ties are like rubber bands that won't damage any cables, and attach much more cleanly.
 
BUTTERSAUTO_imp said:
Very nice.. I just got my cb1100 this week and that was the fist thing I noticed. Now I have a great way to fix it. Thank you so much for sharing
G'day and welcome to the forum, ButtersAuto. Why not lob over to the new members section and introduce yourself?
 
Ghis_imp said:
I don't know about you but I wasn't impressed with the way Honda routed the electrical wires on the CB1100. The clutch, brake, and throttle hang there has they should, but what is up with the electrical wires zip tied to the handle bars?
The electrical cables are not even following the handle bar curves as many other brands do. They come straight out in the open and get tied up to the bar as an after thought. I had to fix this, and this is how.



I saw these cable ties on a buddy's Triumph Speedmaster, and I knew this would work for my bike, so I ordered 4 of them from the local Triumph dealer.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6197_zpswobpmckt.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6198_zpslg4f8cxc.jpg.html]

The Triumph brand is hidden when the ties are closed.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6202_zpso069hmp7.jpg.html]

Here is the part number.

I tied up the electrical cables to the other cables (clutch & brake) with two ties on each side.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6196_zpstddallkh.jpg.html]
[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6195_zps4kfg1rh5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6194_zpsghioqgtd.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6192_zps2g2xvajl.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6191_zpslr6xfv8o.jpg.html]

Much better looking, and I'm much happier! Now you can put those terrible reusable Honda zip ties under the seat for emergencies like loosing a bolt on your license plate maybe.
Hey Ghis , what brand of handlebar risers are those and do u have the part number ?
 
Thread starter
Johnboy_imp said:
Ghis_imp said:
I don't know about you but I wasn't impressed with the way Honda routed the electrical wires on the CB1100. The clutch, brake, and throttle hang there has they should, but what is up with the electrical wires zip tied to the handle bars?
The electrical cables are not even following the handle bar curves as many other brands do. They come straight out in the open and get tied up to the bar as an after thought. I had to fix this, and this is how.



I saw these cable ties on a buddy's Triumph Speedmaster, and I knew this would work for my bike, so I ordered 4 of them from the local Triumph dealer.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6197_zpswobpmckt.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6198_zpslg4f8cxc.jpg.html]

The Triumph brand is hidden when the ties are closed.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6202_zpso069hmp7.jpg.html]

Here is the part number.

I tied up the electrical cables to the other cables (clutch & brake) with two ties on each side.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6196_zpstddallkh.jpg.html]
[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6195_zps4kfg1rh5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6194_zpsghioqgtd.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6192_zps2g2xvajl.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6191_zpslr6xfv8o.jpg.html]

Much better looking, and I'm much happier! Now you can put those terrible reusable Honda zip ties under the seat for emergencies like loosing a bolt on your license plate maybe.
Hey Ghis , what brand of handlebar risers are those and do u have the part number ?
Hey Ghis , what brand of handlebar risers are those and do u have the part number ?
No part number, just BikeMaster risers for 7/8 bars. Picked it up at my local Honda store.
 
Ghis_imp said:
I don't know about you but I wasn't impressed with the way Honda routed the electrical wires on the CB1100. The clutch, brake, and throttle hang there has they should, but what is up with the electrical wires zip tied to the handle bars?
The electrical cables are not even following the handle bar curves as many other brands do. They come straight out in the open and get tied up to the bar as an after thought. I had to fix this, and this is how.



I saw these cable ties on a buddy's Triumph Speedmaster, and I knew this would work for my bike, so I ordered 4 of them from the local Triumph dealer.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6197_zpswobpmckt.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6198_zpslg4f8cxc.jpg.html]

The Triumph brand is hidden when the ties are closed.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6202_zpso069hmp7.jpg.html]

Here is the part number.

I tied up the electrical cables to the other cables (clutch & brake) with two ties on each side.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6196_zpstddallkh.jpg.html]
[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6195_zps4kfg1rh5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6194_zpsghioqgtd.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6192_zps2g2xvajl.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6191_zpslr6xfv8o.jpg.html]

Much better looking, and I'm much happier! Now you can put those terrible reusable Honda zip ties under the seat for emergencies like loosing a bolt on your license plate maybe.

That's nice. I had to go to the Triumph dealer today to get some wheel weights and ordered some of these ties too.
 
This is just a fantastic idea. I'm pretty anal, so I'm surprised that I didn't notice all that unsightliness going on myself - and now that you've pointed it out, I'll never be able to live with it!
I've got a Triumph, too, and I'm at that dealership fairly regularly, so I'm going to have to pick these up for mine, too. Thanks a lot for sharing this one!
 
I should be getting my rubber Triumph straps in the mail this week. They were sold out of the few places I looked. I wonder why?

d09d7084c945b8194ee5076613833bb6.gif
 
Xyzzy_imp said:
I should be getting my rubber Triumph straps in the mail this week. They were sold out of the few places I looked. I wonder why?

d09d7084c945b8194ee5076613833bb6.gif
I had the same experience. I ordered some from BikeBandit about two weeks ago and they just shipped yesterday. It's not everyday that we find inexpensive mods to do to our bikes!

Edit: Received the bands today and put them on. Nice.
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Xyzzy_imp said:
I should be getting my rubber Triumph straps in the mail this week. They were sold out of the few places I looked. I wonder why?

d09d7084c945b8194ee5076613833bb6.gif
I had the same experience. I ordered some from BikeBandit about two weeks ago and they just shipped yesterday. It's not everyday that we find inexpensive mods to do to our bikes!

Edit: Received the bands today and put them on. Nice.
I had the same experience. I ordered some from BikeBandit about two weeks ago and they just shipped yesterday. It's not everyday that we find inexpensive mods to do to our bikes!

Edit: Received the bands today and put them on. Nice.
:thumbsup:
 
I received my Triumph rubber bands a week or so ago, but only had a chance to put them on today. I love cutting off those two tie-wraps holding the cables to the chrome handlebars. I much prefer them routed this way. Ghis, thank you for the tip sir.

4cee7974b45a3b9a9c55b884dab78382.jpg
 
treytexag_imp said:
I received my Triumph rubber bands a week or so ago, but only had a chance to put them on today. I love cutting off those two tie-wraps holding the cables to the chrome handlebars. I much prefer them routed this way. Ghis, thank you for the tip sir.

4cee7974b45a3b9a9c55b884dab78382.jpg
I installed mine as well and agree that the cleaned up look is much nicer. I know it's a little late but those two tie-wraps you cut off were reusable. You just needed to push in a small tab and they open right up. Oh well. I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else is reading through this and also missed the first time it was mentioned.
 
Ahhh Metally, I was just about to post that about the tie wraps. ;)
 
Triumph dealers everywhere are scratching their heads wondering why so many people are ordering these parts.
 
Yeah, it happened with Honda and the RLETS too.
 
Thread starter
treytexag_imp said:
I received my Triumph rubber bands a week or so ago, but only had a chance to put them on today. I love cutting off those two tie-wraps holding the cables to the chrome handlebars. I much prefer them routed this way. Ghis, thank you for the tip sir.

4cee7974b45a3b9a9c55b884dab78382.jpg
You're welcome. It's looking good.
 
These really look nice, but the dollar is not terribly strong against the pound, so I had to get a little resourceful if I am to afford other such frivolous and spendy farkles like RLETs.

Joking aside, I decided I'd order me up some of these from the local Triumph shop, but those close at 5 and I was too late. Having just used some nifty plastic cable ties I bought a while back, a light bulb went on and I realized they'd probably work well enough on the CB.

I think I bought these at Walmart or maybe an auto parts store. They are made by Dorman who makes all sorts of auto trim pieces and hardware. You can get more than one use out of a single strip, too. Not bad for something I already had laying around. I think it looks better than zip ties.


[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150613_175425_zpsjfyodbfz.jpg.html]
[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150613_181536_zpsp8ykbkvd.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top