Those cables were driving me crazy!

Ghis_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I don't know about you but I wasn't impressed with the way Honda routed the electrical wires on the CB1100. The clutch, brake, and throttle hang there has they should, but what is up with the electrical wires zip tied to the handle bars?
The electrical cables are not even following the handle bar curves as many other brands do. They come straight out in the open and get tied up to the bar as an after thought. I had to fix this, and this is how.



I saw these cable ties on a buddy's Triumph Speedmaster, and I knew this would work for my bike, so I ordered 4 of them from the local Triumph dealer.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6197_zpswobpmckt.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6198_zpslg4f8cxc.jpg.html]

The Triumph brand is hidden when the ties are closed.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6202_zpso069hmp7.jpg.html]

Here is the part number.

I tied up the electrical cables to the other cables (clutch & brake) with two ties on each side.

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6196_zpstddallkh.jpg.html]
[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6195_zps4kfg1rh5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6194_zpsghioqgtd.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6192_zps2g2xvajl.jpg.html]

[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/ghislainsabre/media/IMG_6191_zpslr6xfv8o.jpg.html]

Much better looking, and I'm much happier! Now you can put those terrible reusable Honda zip ties under the seat for emergencies like loosing a bolt on your license plate maybe.
 
I never really paid any attention to that until now. Amazing all the little things everyone notices on their bikes.
 
That kind of bugged me too, Ghis. You're a genius. Hopefully you're not charging royalties on your idea...... ;)
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Excellent post! I like that a lot. Placing my order. (Although, I'll have to find a trained mechanic to do the install.)
That's so funny. I finally realized that it's what the package says.
Pauley_imp said:
That kind of bugged me too, Ghis. You're a genius. Hopefully you're not charging royalties on your idea...... ;)
No royalties. I just enjoy finding what works on other bikes, and if it doesn't involve permanent modification, or fabrication, I'll use them to make mine better. Though it's nothing new. Plenty fellows on this forum have installed those Kawasaki rubber boots on their forks for that old school look, and that's brilliant. One of my favorite is a Harley-Davidson black frame paint touch up pen. It's very close to most bikes' black frame, and I've used it on all my bikes.
 
Looks nice but it still isn't bugging me. There must be a lot of OCD guys on this forum.

And who's this Castrol the mechanic they recommend and what's his first name?
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Looks nice but it still isn't bugging me. There must be a lot of OCD guys on this forum.

And who's this Castrol the mechanic they recommend and what's his first name?
Fiddle Castrol, I think. He's Cuban.
 
Thread starter
Novice_imp said:
Triumph parts on a Honda...Oh the humanity!
I saw once a Triumph with Harley-davidson pegs mounted on the crash bars as highway pegs. Harley has it's name stamped on most accessories they sale, and it's usually not discrete. That was weird. I'm ok with parts from other brands as long as you can't tell, and it's purely esthetic, clean, & practical. No other brand's mechanical part will ever come to disturb this beautifully engineered CB1100.
Oh, and just one more thing. If you don't get those zip ties off the bars, it will eventually dull out the chrome in those spots. My bike was barely a couple months old when I took them off, and it took me forever to polish the scuffs out. But if you leave them there, and aren't planning of ever taking them off, then who cares...

And yes I am very much OCD :D.
 
Ghis_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
Triumph parts on a Honda...Oh the humanity!
I saw once a Triumph with Harley-davidson pegs mounted on the crash bars as highway pegs. Harley has it's name stamped on most accessories they sale, and it's usually not discrete. That was weird. I'm ok with parts from other brands as long as you can't tell, and it's purely esthetic, clean, & practical. No other brand's mechanical part will ever come to disturb this beautifully engineered CB1100.
Oh, and just one more thing. If you don't get those zip ties off the bars, it will eventually dull out the chrome in those spots. My bike was barely a couple months old when I took them off, and it took me forever to polish the scuffs out. But if you leave them there, and aren't planning of ever taking them off, then who cares...

And yes I am very much OCD :D.

ohhhh.. I never thought of *that* !
Thanks for the word. Though I don't have an issue with the way the cables are routed (cables close to the bar are another aesthetic, e.g.'s see the Harley Softails where the cables hug the bars), but I would have an issue with scuffed handlebars !
I'll be doing this tie up trick then !
 
Cormanus_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Looks nice but it still isn't bugging me. There must be a lot of OCD guys on this forum.

And who's this Castrol the mechanic they recommend and what's his first name?
Fiddle Castrol, I think. He's Cuban.
:rofl: So that's why his brother is running Cuba.
 
Back
Top