thicker grips

active1951_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
My 2014 came with lower handlebars, but stock grips. The grips seem way too thin for machine like this. I had cruisers before this with thick grips.

I took some cord and wrapped it around stock grips, then some monkey tape on top. It really made um thicker, better and more precise gripping power.

Anyone else try any DiY grip mods OR does anyone recommend a substantially thicker grip or grip wrap?

I have tried foam stuff in past, but do not like the unsure feel.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
"The grips seem way too thin for machine like this. I had cruisers before this with thick grips"


Welcome to a real motorcycle.
:rofl:
 
I put on some Grip Puppies. They did the trick. Foam covers that go on over the small diameter rubber grips.
 
I actually tried grip puppies for a while. I agree, and thought comfort was improved at first...

..and then they started to tear, so I cut them off while ordering another set.

I rode without them, and realized I appreciated the feel and control more than I missed the pillow.

Came to realize what I had already read and known decades ago- loosen your grip.
 
Unfortunately, I cannot recall the brand name of the grip wraps I bought. I thought they were Grip Puppies, but looking online, the Grip Puppies slide over the bar. The ones I have wrap around the bar and have a rubber coating. I like these alot, but it takes a few minutes to get the seam lined up so that it's not where you would be putting your hand/fingers.

I used to use the spongy kind that I THINK are Grip Puppies, but as they aged, they turned my tan gloves black.

Hopefully, someone with a better memory of these sorts of things will figure out which brands I'm trying to describe above and fill in the blanks. LOL
 
I'm actually surprised and very satisfied with how durable the grip puppies have been. I've had them for about 4 years now, and I think they're in the same condition today as they were when new. I always wear gloves, so the "feel" doesn't seem to be a significant factor for me, especially once I got accustomed to them. I've been happy with their grip and feel since day one.

To the original poster, if you haven't given them a try, I don't think there is a better product to give you a thicker grip......and at $20 bucks, they're a very cheap gamble to see if you like them.
 
Hey Active,
I have a pair of generic foam grip pads that I'll never use. I bought two pairs long ago for my BMW - I had always ridden cruisers as well, and didn't like the thinner grips at first. I figured the foam grip pads would wear out, so I bought two pairs. They never did wear out, and I stumbled on the extra pair in my garage over the weekend, looking for something else.

Not sure if they'd be your perfect solution, but if you PM me your address, I'll send 'em along if you want to give them a try. I'll never use them.
 
I wrap the grips with a shaped foam bicycle handle bar tape, which is not tape at all as it has no sticky of its own. Adds cushion and a little girth. Been doing this for umpteen years.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Unfortunately, I cannot recall the brand name of the grip wraps I bought. I thought they were Grip Puppies, but looking online, the Grip Puppies slide over the bar. The ones I have wrap around the bar and have a rubber coating. I like these alot, but it takes a few minutes to get the seam lined up so that it's not where you would be putting your hand/fingers.

I used to use the spongy kind that I THINK are Grip Puppies, but as they aged, they turned my tan gloves black.

Hopefully, someone with a better memory of these sorts of things will figure out which brands I'm trying to describe above and fill in the blanks. LOL
Original Grip Buddies
https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/
 
Original Grip Buddies
https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/
[/QUOTE]

I ordered a set of “beemer buddies” years ago maybe 6 years ago. I called to make sure Beemer folks were in fact making them for a CB1100. He said “sure I have the measurements”. He apologized for the wait to answer the phone as he was down in the basement making more. They finally wore down and I changed to Grip Puppy’s a year ago. Couldn’t locate beemer buddies again at that time.

They were definitely made in a basement in the USA at that time. Now I see they are Grip Buddies.

Mike
 
Back
Top