The W800 is back!

For me Kawasaki really got the W look right with the original W650. Most of the W650's that I've seen in person looked like this one:
0b62459de5b15ff8581a75b6b3bd6e74.jpg


Such a beautiful motorcycle. The black cylinder treatment looks right at home here as most of the old British twins (and Kawasaki's own vintage W series bikes) featured this look.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Notice the cylinder paint treatment on the bike Guth posted. Same as on the 17 EX's that everyone complained about. Black cylinders, silver heads. It was actually quite a common treatment in the late 60s to late 70s especially on Brit bikes that the W 800 emulates
Yeah, I was one of those who felt that this decision by Honda had much more to do with them trying to compete against Triumph and the look of their bikes than it did with past CB heritage.
 


I agree with Guth about the W650. The final edition of the W800 (which we didn't get) came in a black version--similar to the new model in color scheme--and this one. I'm hoping that maybe some of the trim parts from this (fenders, cases) will be compatible with the cafe, to bring it closer to that W650 look. Admittedly, it's annoying to think of spending extra $ and effort to undo what Kawasaki has done to it, in its appeal to the wrong demographic. But perhaps worth looking into. I'm certainly not parting with my CB, but I think the W remains a great bike, and we have so few choices of air-cooled "retro" done right.
 
I've come to enjoy the two-tone colors on the motor of my '17 EX. The more I see it each day, the more I think I prefer it over all the other CB1100 engine colors.

I didn't feel that way when I first bought the bike, but now I wouldn't switch to the other styles even if I could.
 
Cafe racers never awake my interest.
Wether build by a manufacturer or someone else.
Simple, useful and classic streetbikes are the real deal for me. I'm glad to own a few very different ones. Always good reasons to be cheerful, even if I just look at them. The W, the CB, the Bullet and of course a few others I don't possess but these 3 are enough. At least that's what my lifecircumstances say.

Wisedrum
 
ooh I might have to take the 650 Intercepter
 
The reservoir shocks don't help the Bullet's looks. Besides, it's a RE 650, do you really NEED reservoir shocks on one of these? Of course not.

All that being said, I think I could get down with the new iteration.
 
The dark colours and clipped fenders on the W800 takes away from its heritage looks.

The RE Interceptor looks better to me. The chrome tank with the glossy black band and gold pin stripping would be my choice.
 
If you take the two cylinders on the RE and bend them outwards, into the wind, you get a bike which looks strikingly like a Moto Guzzi V7iii Anniversario. Main difference is black seat vs. brown, chain vs. shaft, and Indian-made vs. Italian. But their specs are nearly identical and on the road I bet they're both a lot of fun!

afab486e50e77cf539b74bc85d8c14e2.jpg
 
Guzzis always look so muscular with those cylinders leaning out like that. That V7iii Anniversario is a good looking bike.
 
test rode a griso. Not for me. Wouldn't hardly run under 4K and I'm a lugger. 2500-3500 is my normal rpm range on my last 6 bikes.
 
Back
Top