The TankSlapper: Should I venture or pay someone?

Nemo_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Have any of you tackled this as DIY project? I think I'm pretty handy at some stuff but not sure about this...
 
Nemo,

I put it on my bike and it wasn't that hard. A little PIA, but not much. You do have to work the edges.

Watch the videos on their site and maybe some youtubes. Use LOTS of water/mix spray. Use more water spray. And oh yeah, use lots of water spray.

Use a hair drier to heat it some before application if necessary. If it is the plain Tankslapper stuff, take it off and put it back it you have to. After it sits awhile, some of the edges may want to lift. Spray and work them back down.

For my ST, some of the sections are the 3M stuff. A little tricker, less room for error, but sticks better as it has an adhesive and is CLEAR. I mentioned that in case you sprang for the 3M stuff.

I trimmed the backing paper close to the plastic so I could hold it in place to see how I wanted it. I did that as I had never done it before.

After its good and dry after a few days, you can hardly even see it if you squeegeed it out good (I bought their squeegee). I even forgot it was on the tank sides!

Good luck!
 
Nemo_imp said:
Have any of you tackled this as DIY project? I think I'm pretty handy at some stuff but not sure about this...
I started 'playing' with some vinyl auto wrap. I ordered: (1) Tech Art Carbon Fiber, (2) 3M ScotchPrint car wrap 1080 in gloss white, and (3) 3M ScotchPrint car wrap in hot rod red.

The VViViD Shop - The Vinyl Wrap Store, Open to the public! has all this stuff with some supporting technical details. I ordered most of my stuff from Amazon expect some color samples that I got from vvividshop.

I used the front of the seat as my template for this.


I used the Gloss White to protect the tank from my jeans. This does't look all that great but I am still experimenting with this stuff.

[url=http://s651.photobucket.com/user/activedirt/media/IMG_1094_zps71fz3r35.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
:celebrate:

Dis morning I slappa' the tankslappa' on my CB. :cool:

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it was gonna' be, or maybe I'm "gooder" than what I think I am... :D

:banana:
 
Alright, Go Nemo! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top