The Lost Art of Mechanical Drafting

Phadreus_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
This is totally cool, Phadreus, and I suppose this is how your bike looks today.
How likely is it - and how much work - if you also did one for the standard CB and / or the EX ?
Not how mine is yet, I'm in process of making it as the Drawing (more or less). I had about six hours invested in this, so not too much time.

Let me play around with a more "stock" Drawing for a Standard and/or EX and see what I can come up with...
The ferret_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P

:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
[/QUOTE]
So do we know who actually came up with the term RLET? Was it on this Forum?
With some simple Filtering, we could even make it look more like an old Blue Print.


[/QUOTE]
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle.
 
Lol my first Honda CB 1100 came home with them from the dealer's in March 2013.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
This is totally cool, Phadreus, and I suppose this is how your bike looks today.
How likely is it - and how much work - if you also did one for the standard CB and / or the EX ?
Not how mine is yet, I'm in process of making it as the Drawing (more or less). I had about six hours invested in this, so not too much time.

Let me play around with a more "stock" Drawing for a Standard and/or EX and see what I can come up with...
The ferret_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P

:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
So do we know who actually came up with the term RLET? Was it on this Forum?
With some simple Filtering, we could even make it look more like an old Blue Print.


[/QUOTE]
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle.
[/QUOTE]
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2491]my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle. Interesting, so Ferret started it all then. I cracked up when I finally found what RLET stood for, for less technical than I expected. I was thinking something like Reflective Lighting Energy Terminal, or Reduced Load Economy Touring...hehehe...

Thx for the kind words Cormanus!
The ferret_imp said:
Were they optional? :P
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
This is totally cool, Phadreus, and I suppose this is how your bike looks today.
How likely is it - and how much work - if you also did one for the standard CB and / or the EX ?
Not how mine is yet, I'm in process of making it as the Drawing (more or less). I had about six hours invested in this, so not too much time.

Let me play around with a more "stock" Drawing for a Standard and/or EX and see what I can come up with...
The ferret_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P

:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
So do we know who actually came up with the term RLET? Was it on this Forum?
With some simple Filtering, we could even make it look more like an old Blue Print.
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle.
[/QUOTE]
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2491]my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle. Interesting, so Ferret started it all then. I cracked up when I finally found what RLET stood for, for less technical than I expected. I was thinking something like Reflective Lighting Energy Terminal, or Reduced Load Economy Touring...hehehe...

Thx for the kind words Cormanus!
The ferret_imp said:
Were they optional? :P
[/QUOTE]
Mark, when the CB1100 appeared in the US in 2013 and the Ferret was one of the first to have one, he had RLETs installed and spoke about it on the forum. Others saw the wisdom of his style choice and followed suit. Me included. I think [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2491]my report on their installation gave rise to the term RLET.

More importantly, though, I’m in awe of your drawing. Unlike Lord Popgun, I can’t draw a circle. Interesting, so Ferret started it all then. I cracked up when I finally found what RLET stood for, for less technical than I expected. I was thinking something like Reflective Lighting Energy Terminal, or Reduced Load Economy Touring...hehehe...

Thx for the kind words Cormanus!
The ferret_imp said:
Lol my first Honda CB 1100 came home with them from the dealer's in March 2013.
Were they optional? :P
Not for me. A proper CB Honda had to have Rlet's or it wasn't coming home lol
 
Phadreus may now join us in the Wine Cellar at the CB castle! Cormanus, find that key and set us up!
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Phadreus may now join us in the Wine Cellar at the CB castle! Cormanus, find that key and set us up!
I dreamt this day would one day come, but never dreamt it would be this soon! :excited:
 
Lord Popgun is known for his kindness and generosity,..he very often consults his Ring if in doubt..:)
 
Thank you Grand Chancellor.

Are you home yet?
 
Mark:

It appears your hand rendering, or practically any abstraction of it should look well on a t-shirt. These are some samples I found on the web ...







 
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun is known for his kindness and generosity,..he very often consults his Ring if in doubt..:)
Are you saying he has his head up his …

Oh, never mind.
 
Drafting was my thing in high school - but dodged a bullet working at it. It would not have suited me. Got into computers and science in college but could not make the switch to CAD. Scratch paper and a pencil is my thing.

Those photo's really brought back memories. Never got to use a mechanical T square, we were truly old school with real T-squares (and washing them constantly to keep pencil dust off the paper), triangles etc. Almost got into ink. That would have been a mess! LOL
 
Staedtler, funny. In the late 80s after getting my diploma I started to work for Nestler to develop CAD systems for their specific customers and dealership. Nestler was another German drawing board and drawing equipment manufactor in Germany.
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi all,

Thought I would share a Mechanical Drawing I just finished up with all of you for grins. I began my career as a Mechanical Drafter on a Drafting Board. Spent ten years on a Board before making the leap to 2D CAD, then 3D CAD ten years after that. Although I enjoy 3D CAD Modeling, I find I miss laying lines on a Drafting Board, so for the safe of nostalgia, I broke out my old Drafting Board (had to restore it back to it's former glory), found all my old Drafting Tools and went to work on drawing a CB to my liking. Really enjoyed it and will most likely continue drawing on the Board in the evenings when I have time.

I'm currently teaching Drafting to some young guys and I was explaining the history of Drafting technologies and it got me thinking I ought to knock out a few Drawings on my old Board for fun. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on to the Drawing.





Cheers and thanks for letting me share! :P
That's impressive.

I do a lot of mechanical design, but I've always used 3D modeling. So, for me, this kind of work is like out of this world.

Nowadays, the art on the 2D drawings generated from 3D views relays only on composition, clarity, not missing any critical information without redundancy, so every part is made right the first time and every assembly is assembled right the first time. It's still a lot, but it's a different skill set.

(I've always been a fan of motorsport drafting and cut-views from Tony Mathews and Giorgio Piola. I have always admired that artistic side of engineering that's seems so hard to find)
 
Thread starter
jtopiso_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi all,

Thought I would share a Mechanical Drawing I just finished up with all of you for grins. I began my career as a Mechanical Drafter on a Drafting Board. Spent ten years on a Board before making the leap to 2D CAD, then 3D CAD ten years after that. Although I enjoy 3D CAD Modeling, I find I miss laying lines on a Drafting Board, so for the safe of nostalgia, I broke out my old Drafting Board (had to restore it back to it's former glory), found all my old Drafting Tools and went to work on drawing a CB to my liking. Really enjoyed it and will most likely continue drawing on the Board in the evenings when I have time.

I'm currently teaching Drafting to some young guys and I was explaining the history of Drafting technologies and it got me thinking I ought to knock out a few Drawings on my old Board for fun. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on to the Drawing.





Cheers and thanks for letting me share! :P
That's impressive.

I do a lot of mechanical design, but I've always used 3D modeling. So, for me, this kind of work is like out of this world.

Nowadays, the art on the 2D drawings generated from 3D views relays only on composition, clarity, not missing any critical information without redundancy, so every part is made right the first time and every assembly is assembled right the first time. It's still a lot, but it's a different skill set.

(I've always been a fan of motorsport drafting and cut-views from Tony Mathews and Giorgio Piola. I have always admired that artistic side of engineering that's seems so hard to find)
That's impressive.

I do a lot of mechanical design, but I've always used 3D modeling. So, for me, this kind of work is like out of this world.

Nowadays, the art on the 2D drawings generated from 3D views relays only on composition, clarity, not missing any critical information without redundancy, so every part is made right the first time and every assembly is assembled right the first time. It's still a lot, but it's a different skill set.

(I've always been a fan of motorsport drafting and cut-views from Tony Mathews and Giorgio Piola. I have always admired that artistic side of engineering that's seems so hard to find) Thanks!

I do love 3D Modeling in SolidWorks, but I've come to appreciate the imperfections of manual drawing that indicate to me a real human being made it. May sounds silly, but when I see the imperfections, i somehow relate to and appreciate the artist because I see imperfections in my own work (quite allot of them actually).

I've always appreciated David Kimbell's cutaway works:
 
Phadreus_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Hi all,

Thought I would share a Mechanical Drawing I just finished up with all of you for grins. I began my career as a Mechanical Drafter on a Drafting Board. Spent ten years on a Board before making the leap to 2D CAD, then 3D CAD ten years after that. Although I enjoy 3D CAD Modeling, I find I miss laying lines on a Drafting Board, so for the safe of nostalgia, I broke out my old Drafting Board (had to restore it back to it's former glory), found all my old Drafting Tools and went to work on drawing a CB to my liking. Really enjoyed it and will most likely continue drawing on the Board in the evenings when I have time.

I'm currently teaching Drafting to some young guys and I was explaining the history of Drafting technologies and it got me thinking I ought to knock out a few Drawings on my old Board for fun. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on to the Drawing.





Cheers and thanks for letting me share! :P
That's impressive.

I do a lot of mechanical design, but I've always used 3D modeling. So, for me, this kind of work is like out of this world.

Nowadays, the art on the 2D drawings generated from 3D views relays only on composition, clarity, not missing any critical information without redundancy, so every part is made right the first time and every assembly is assembled right the first time. It's still a lot, but it's a different skill set.

(I've always been a fan of motorsport drafting and cut-views from Tony Mathews and Giorgio Piola. I have always admired that artistic side of engineering that's seems so hard to find)
That's impressive.

I do a lot of mechanical design, but I've always used 3D modeling. So, for me, this kind of work is like out of this world.

Nowadays, the art on the 2D drawings generated from 3D views relays only on composition, clarity, not missing any critical information without redundancy, so every part is made right the first time and every assembly is assembled right the first time. It's still a lot, but it's a different skill set.

(I've always been a fan of motorsport drafting and cut-views from Tony Mathews and Giorgio Piola. I have always admired that artistic side of engineering that's seems so hard to find) Thanks!

I do love 3D Modeling in SolidWorks, but I've come to appreciate the imperfections of manual drawing that indicate to me a real human being made it. May sounds silly, but when I see the imperfections, i somehow relate to and appreciate the artist because I see imperfections in my own work (quite allot of them actually).

I've always appreciated David Kimbell's cutaway works:
A bit off-topic, but do you know "wintergatan marble machine"? He is an engineer/musician/artist... (something to check on youtube if you like mechanical design and music).

Anyway: he made posters from a 3D model of his current project (in solidworks). He printed it on a big scale, and went over every line on it with a black marker to add some "hand drawn" feel, imperfections, etc, and then scanned it so it can be printed and reproduced.

The final thing doesn't have this "old patent mechanical draft" feel, but it's very close.

WINTERGATAN

I have one of these "fake blueprint" hanging on my living room :)

(I might me allowed to hang drawing of a bik, if you make a poster out of it.)
 
Back
Top