The Lost Art of Mechanical Drafting

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,

Thought I would share a Mechanical Drawing I just finished up with all of you for grins. I began my career as a Mechanical Drafter on a Drafting Board. Spent ten years on a Board before making the leap to 2D CAD, then 3D CAD ten years after that. Although I enjoy 3D CAD Modeling, I find I miss laying lines on a Drafting Board, so for the safe of nostalgia, I broke out my old Drafting Board (had to restore it back to it's former glory), found all my old Drafting Tools and went to work on drawing a CB to my liking. Really enjoyed it and will most likely continue drawing on the Board in the evenings when I have time.

I'm currently teaching Drafting to some young guys and I was explaining the history of Drafting technologies and it got me thinking I ought to knock out a few Drawings on my old Board for fun. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on to the Drawing.





Cheers and thanks for letting me share! :P
 
Very very cool... I haven't seen the business end of a drafting table since college, but it brings back fond memories. Great work by the way!
 
That is totally awesome!

I can draw a circle—kind of…
 
Looks kinda like what I did but kept the airbox.

Might wanna keep the airbox. Can be a counterproductive. Air turbulance thing.
 
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
 
I took some drafting classes at a community college in New Orleans 1983, the instructor was working on a computer program for CAD. He told us it was coming in the future. How right he was. It’s unbelievable what progress has been made since then.
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
Looks kinda like what I did but kept the airbox.

Might wanna keep the airbox. Can be a counterproductive. Air turbulance thing.
Rox, it's funny you said that...when I drew them in, I wondered to myself if the design would really be that effective in performance...I would assume that areas right behind the Cylinder bank would be low pressure, and most likely turbulent air.

My alternative solution would be to do something to the airbox covers to jazz them up...maybe Carbon Fiber or something. I would consider adding some CF components in the right spots for flavor. Don't see much of it used on old school style bikes.
obleo_imp said:
I took some drafting classes at a community college in New Orleans 1983, the instructor was working on a computer program for CAD. He told us it was coming in the future. How right he was. It’s unbelievable what progress has been made since then.
No kidding. I did an Engineering presentation for a group of about 75 local business professionals a few weeks ago, highlighting current Design technologies. I began with a brief review of history of Design technologies and by the time I was done, a) I felt like an old fart, and b) I was so thankful to have been apart of the change from the Board to 2D CAD to 3D CAD and all of the ancillary changes along the way. Been a great career path in the end. Now I'm just happy to share some of it with others along the way. :cool:
tommymck_imp said:
Very very cool... I haven't seen the business end of a drafting table since college, but it brings back fond memories. Great work by the way!
Thx Tom! I started in 1985 on the Board in Engineering Drafting in Vocational school, then continued in Industry as a Draftsman and studied ME in College. Fun stuff!
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is totally awesome!

I can draw a circle—kind of…
You know the rules, no picture, it didn't happen! Let's see that circle. :D
 
I took drafting classes in high school, and my step dad was a draftsman. Writing in clear block lettering was hammered into me.

Sometimes even today when I’m writing something, sometimes someone will ask if I was ever a draftsman.
Doubt I could draw something as nice as your CB. Keep us posted on the tshirts!
 
OK, here is my circle: O

Part of a Padawan’s journey is to discover the mystery and power of the RLET.

But a Padawan you remain until you master installation of the RLETs on the CB.

The Ring will be watching you. Do or Do not. There is no try.
 
Awesome! I would definitely put this on a t-shirt.. You've given me an idea
9013691cca33f315ca16d70ce9c04f7b.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
Awesome! I would definitely put this on a t-shirt.. You've given me an idea
9013691cca33f315ca16d70ce9c04f7b.png


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Sign me up, I'm up for one for sure! Kinda cool, I know the artist and all. :celebrate:
 
I’m in for a shirt.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
I think you are on to something Bob.

Maybe "simplify" a bit and give the draft that "crackled" look like an old, waxy blueprint sort of appeal?
 
This is totally cool, Phadreus, and I suppose this is how your bike looks today.
How likely is it - and how much work - if you also did one for the standard CB and / or the EX ?
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P

[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
This is totally cool, Phadreus, and I suppose this is how your bike looks today.
How likely is it - and how much work - if you also did one for the standard CB and / or the EX ?
Not how mine is yet, I'm in process of making it as the Drawing (more or less). I had about six hours invested in this, so not too much time.

Let me play around with a more "stock" Drawing for a Standard and/or EX and see what I can come up with...
The ferret_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P

:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
[/QUOTE] I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
:rofl:

That is really cool. really cool Phadreus. What a neat talent to have.

and yea the Rlet thing is kind of "our" thing here!
[/QUOTE]
So do we know who actually came up with the term RLET? Was it on this Forum?
With some simple Filtering, we could even make it look more like an old Blue Print.

 
Phadreus_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
That would make a might fine t-shirt design. If you would like to share your art, I could print up some and see if there is interest here on the forum. One can never have enough shirts with bike art :thumbsup:
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.
Hmm, interesting thought. Would be happy to share the art...I can get better photos need be. Just let me know what you need, and I'm happy to give. :cool:
pdedse_imp said:
Very cool!

At what point do you draw on the RLETS?
I tried, and tried, got frustrated and give up. Man they are hard to get on. Hehehe...

You know I spent a half an hour the other night searching this forum to figure out what RLET stood for. That should be some right of passage on this forum, if you are serious about being here, figure out what this means. :P
GoldOxide_imp said:
Awesome Mark!

Olde school - just like the CB1100. Perfect blend of spirit. (woo, ya)
Thx GO! I've been trying to decide how far I wanna go with the whole cafe thing...I'm leaning more towards the conservative side so as not to lose too much in comfort, rideability and functionality. I'll most likely change my mind on things a hundred times before finishing the project.

I finally found out what RLET stands for as well almost a year of being on this forum. Some serious technical stuff to those four letters. Beyond my comprehension for sure.

These drawings are amazing. Hats off to you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top