The H-Decider

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
One perk of my job at a powersports dealer is being able to borrow a bike for the weekend. Not sure why, but I decided to take one of our used Harleys. Its a 2007 Street Glide with the TC 96 and 6 speed.

It's slow, heavy, vague steering, no lean angle, brakes feel like wood, gets hot sitting at a stop, wind buffeting from the short shield, it shakes like crazy at idle, and the dang header melted part of my boot sole.

I was surprised how smooth it gets once off idle. The suspension, despite only 2 inches of travel at the rear, do a decent job of soaking bumps.

I don't see myself buying one, but I didn't have a bad time riding it. There is an appealing side of slow and low and jamming some tunes sure is nice. It was strange suddenly having ALL other Harley riders waving because I am used to only a portion waving. You feel like part of something bigger when you ride one. H-D really have created something of a cult with their bikes, and I dont mean that in a Jim Jones/ David Koresh way.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day to get out and ride, no matter what you're on. I look forward to posting more ride reports with other bikes I can get my hands on.

 
What a great perk to try out other motorcycles! My last bike before my CB1100 was a 2006 Harley Electra Glide and was an usual choice after many years of riding mostly Japanese brands. Like you, I experienced a new respect for Harley Davidson. Even while mine had older technology, it did a great job very comfortablely eating up highway miles!

I must say that HD knows their buyers and does a fantastic job marketing to them. It's kind of like a "Band of Brothers" when your riding one. My only complaints were that most HD owners didn't accept any other brands as true motorcycles and it also seemed like you were supposed to dress in all HD gear! :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
I probably looked a little odd in my red mesh jacket, red riding shoes, and dual sport helmet. Figured I might need the right costume to get return waves from other Harley riders, haha.

While the critic is me is underwhelmed by the bike, I have to realize its nearly a decade old and I don't think it would be fair to hit it too hard. I wouldnt mind trying a new Street Glide with the new Milwaukee 8 107. I could see doing some miles with a better windscreen. It actually makes me want a Honda Goldwing F6B. The Valkyrie I demoed really turned me on to the GL1800 chassis. It did not leave me wanting for more power, handling, or ride quality.
 
I rode an Electra Glide Ultra Classic last year. Put 200 miles on her. Still can't figure out why anyone would buy an HD. :huh:

HD is a "life style", not a motorcycle. Just my opinion... :cool:
 
I think Harley makes a pretty good bike for those that like that riding style. My pet beef is the way they sound and the excessive weight and lack of suspension. Also poor cornering clearance on most models and the uncomfortable riding position. HD is making a big deal about their new 4 valve cylinder head, something the rest of the world has used for years. Had the chance to sit on a Road King that a friend owns and found the seating position and handlebar location miserable (stock BTW).
To each his own but HD simply does not make anything that interests me in the least.
 
Thread starter
silverbub_imp said:
I especially like the picture... and how you surely cropped the picture of the phrase: "UNLESS IT'S A H-D"!
The only people there that could have said anything were fishing off that bridge right next to signs saying "no fishing from bridge."

Also, I never shiftrd my vehicle into park :P
 
I have test ridden a lot of motorcycles, but have never ridden a post 2000 HD. If I ever get the opportunity I will certainly do so. I hear they are leaps and bounds better than the pre 2000 HDs I have ridden.
 
HD's are much better than they were for so many years, they run better and they shift way better which makes them way better to ride. The low end grunt of a 1690 cc twin is awesome and the looks ah the looks!
 
TINK_imp said:
I rode an Electra Glide Ultra Classic last year. Put 200 miles on her. Still can't figure out why anyone would buy an HD. :huh:

HD is a "life style", not a motorcycle. Just my opinion... :cool:
I've got a 1998 fuel injected Road King Classic that I bought new and have ridden all over the western United States. The bike is coming up on 20 years old and it runs like a Swiss watch, starts instantly, has never broken down or had anything fail, and is smooth as glass at speed. It will cruse at 85mph all day two up with gear and sitting behind the windshield I'm quite comfortable. Certainly not a sport bike but a GREAT motorcycle and I own 9 bikes right now. I also have a Sportster 48 that is a styling statement and is not a great motorcycle but I enjoy looking at it and short rides.

The Road King is all day comfortable and as a touring bike it would be my first choice. My CB1100 is fun in a whole different way. Cheers.

Chip
 
Right on Chip, and for the ones that say Harley is not a real motorcycle tell us what millions of people all over the world have been riding for the last 114 years!
 
Thread starter
I'd really like to try a 2012 or newer FLH based bike because I think it was around that year H-D really stiffened up the frame and made them handle a bit better. I'll bet it's a lot better bike to ride, more power from the TC 103, better brakes, and the newer stereo systems.

I simply don't have any use for such a bike. It's a great open road ride, but I am mostly commuting and hitting the back roads. I don't like something so heavy, but that is pretty much the only way to have a stereo. I really did miss the stereo on my ride back home. While I could set up my helmet with some bluetooth speakers, I'm afraid of blocking out all of my ambient noises, plus I don't want to have an extra step of turning it on, connecting my phone, charging batteries, etc.

I'm starting to think a BMW R1200RT might be a better choice - power, handling, and a radio. Nah, still too big and expensive. Now, you all see why I can't make up my mind...
 
the hd-un_employed.. looks like things are not going so well for the Mo-Co

MSN
 
Took the plunge and bought a '12 HD in September.

My wife was jealous about all the riding that I was doing solo without her. Rapid City is fat with used bikes after the rally so we took a ride on an Ultra Limited. It'd been 20 years since I rode a Harley and this bike is hands-down one of the most impressive I've ridden two-up. I should have gotten one of these a long time ago. I even ended up riding through heavy rain in Iowa and was impressed by how much protection the dresser affords.

The other baggers I've owned have been a Yamaha Venture and a Valkyrie Interstate. This HD is a vast improvement. After 4,000 miles in September I'm looking forward to a long ride two-up next year. We test rode a Goldwing and others but the Harley was the most comfortable.

I sold the Valkyrie in '13 to buy the CB because it was getting way too heavy and cumbersome for me, especially with a passenger. The HD is heavier but feels much lighter and handles far better than the Interstate.

Now, about that Milwaukee Eight...
 
The only bike most millennials want and can afford are scooters. Expensive bikes will decline in sales as the young have less money and interest and us old farts trade down to walkers.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top