The dumbest question I've ever been forced to ask

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
What gorilla installs the oil filters on the CB1100s at the factory. I've probably changed 50 or more screw on filters on bikes over the past 30+ years, and NEVER have I seen one that won't come off with the proper filter socket.

The filter is on so tightly, that even a tight fitting wrench/socket attempted to strip off the flats on the factory installed filter.

Here's the dumb question ...... Honda doesn't possibly use right hand threads on their filters, do they?

I'd hate to have to take the bike to a dealer and have them remove the oil filter. But it won't budge.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
lol a lot of people have experience tight filters and not so tight drain bolts. It's normal lefty loosey righty tighty and doesn't need to be as tight as it came from the factory

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3231&highlight=tight+oil+filter
Ferret, you're right .... the drain plug came off easily, probably too easy. Manual calls for about 20 lb/ft. Time to step back and let it sit overnight. I tend to damage things when I'm in this mood.
 
I had the same issue , finally ended up drilling a hole in it and put a self tapping bolt in it. Then used a screw driver to bump it free .
 
Manual spec is actually 22 ft. lbs. for the drain plug.

Because of the tightness of the filter that was reported I got ready to do battle the first time. And it came right off. Go figure :)
 
ohiorider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
lol a lot of people have experience tight filters and not so tight drain bolts. It's normal lefty loosey righty tighty and doesn't need to be as tight as it came from the factory

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3231&highlight=tight+oil+filter
Ferret, you're right .... the drain plug came off easily, probably too easy. Manual calls for about 20 lb/ft. Time to step back and let it sit overnight. I tend to damage things when I'm in this mood.
Ferret, you're right .... the drain plug came off easily, probably too easy. Manual calls for about 20 lb/ft. Time to step back and let it sit overnight. I tend to damage things when I'm in this mood. I bought used. No problem here.
634c515e8f57d589bfe53450903575d2.png
 
There's no such thing as a dumb question.
 
Found the same thing on my CB500XA. Fortunately I bought the cap style oil filter wrench as part of the Honda oil change package. That made removing the filter easier. But I had a tough time getting the filter out of the wrench.

Found a number of bolts and screws on my bike extremely tight. Bad news as the Thai bolts and screws are made of chocolate. Had to buy an impact driver to get the bar end weight screws out.
 
My factory one was a bugger. I thought possibly the paint cured on the gasket.... I am getting ready to change the oil in the next few weeks... Every 3 k. Except the 600 mile almost 11k On the clock.. I like doing my own maintenance /. Work on the bike. Rain cut down on riding the last 7 months... and Mom has been sick... good luck
f887638a276ce990d4c8804a36a5527f.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
oh yes. I have the three prong self tightening wrench. It dug three holes in the factory filter trying to get it off and oil drained out the holes and made a mess of things.
 
My drain plug was loose too, barely over finger tight, but the oil filter was normal. In the past, when I've had a tight oil filter or no correct wrench, I tightened a big hose clamp around it and tapped the screw head with a small hammer and adrift. Never failed.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
This is the oil filter wrench I use but it still was a bugger getting the filter off for the first oil change. I'd like to meet the guy/gal in the factory that installs these, lol. I'll bet they've got a firm handshake.
 
I'm one of many who found the oil filter on extremely tight, but the drain plug was only as tight as it should be.
It was brutal trying to get the oil filter off, but it eventually came loose.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
This is the oil filter wrench I use but it still was a bugger getting the filter off for the first oil change. I'd like to meet the guy/gal in the factory that installs these, lol. I'll bet they've got a firm handshake.
This is the oil filter wrench I use but it still was a bugger getting the filter off for the first oil change. I'd like to meet the guy/gal in the factory that installs these, lol. I'll bet they've got a firm handshake.

I think that's probably the easiest wrench to use on the single pipers, for the dlxs and exs coming straight in from the front with the factory oil filter cup is the cats meow.
 
Yea- I forgot the head pipes are different for some of you.

I've tried the cap tool on other cars before and agree- even if it fits and works- it tends to trap the filter in the cap and then I have to fight to get it out and not make a mess...so I switched to the wrench above on almost everything.
 
Back
Top