That rear brake

I try to avoid the rear brake on the CB since its' use has caused me to ride it (big SIDI adventure boots with no feel), warping two discs. :(

I have since bent the pedal in a bit to make it harder to hit with the foot and this seems to have helped.

That said, I still use it for trailing braking and any time I'm near gravel/sand. But it irks me as I like using a rear brake when called for.
 
I see what they are getting at in the Cycleworld article, but I also believe there is much more to it than that.

The first time I did the California Superbike School level 1, we started out with a theory session. All the riders there were eager to get out on track and start riding. So, as we prepare for the first outing, the instructor tells us we are to only use 3rd or 4th gear and no brakes. Huh? No Brakes!? Well, the whole drill here was about throttle control, and learning control your throttle to enter the corner at the right speed. Now this actually had a dual effect. First of all, it ensured the riders would not go out and crash in the first corner because they were going too fast, and it allowed you to realize quite quickly that you can actually go in to the corner faster than you thought. The thing is, your bike is basically unstable while braking, and stability of the bike comes by using the throttle. It is fine to brake while in a straight line, like before entering the corner, but then get on the throttle to regain the stability.
 
Of course, I meant my meaning to say that I brake as I approach the corner, not actually inside the corner. The CB is great for the twisties since you can stay on or off the throttle in a certain gear that's appropriate for the situation. IOW, if you're set up in the proper gear, you can back off for engine braking or get on the throttle to power thru the curve, probably without having to shift. I find third gear to be amazing in what range of roads and speeds it allows me many times to just keep it in third. It's the wide torque and power band we have to thank the engineers for.

With a few of my other recent bikes, in many 45MPH or 35MPH sweepers and twisties, I'd be constantly up shifting and downshifting between second and third, seemingly never in a really perfect, happy place.
 
I think track applications and street applications can be similar but quite different. I have only been on a racetrack once (it was fun somewhat, but not something I would want to do all the time), and there were no blind corners, no dead possums, coons or deer around the corner I could not see, no farm implements going 10 miles per hour around the corner or just over the rise. There were braking points and run off areas. Maybe it's because I live in the country but I have to be able to travel at a speed that allows 3 lines in one lane at any time and maybe HAVING to brake in a corner or having to brake hard after clearing a crest. No braking markers, no safe run off points.

I've heard many racers refuse to ride on the street, and I understand why, the lack of certainty, the lack of control over many situations... it's a dangerous place for someone who normally has little to worry about, as when on a track..... there is no oncoming or cross traffic, no anti freeze on the road, no critters crossing, no intersections or driveways for people to back out of.

BTW I hear people/racers say they are taught to use front brakes only, yet when I was over at Indianapolis I checked out Valentino Rossi's Yamaha and there was a big ol' carbon disk brake on the rear of his bike. Why would he need that with no stop lights to hold still at and no hills that he has to stop on? I'm guessing he uses it to aid in his braking. Why else would the most talented highly trained riders in the world need rear brakes?
 
I guess that I don't fully understand the meaning of "trail braking" in as much as I don't use the rear break as part of my version of it. I hit both brakes if needed to slow for the approach then get 100% off the rear and "trail" the front off gradually, following the "brake light initiative" described in the CW article. I seem to be able to get around the turns quickly and in control, it maybe I'm not really trail braking.

My rear brake squeaks a lot and it does seem a little weak, but combined with the front, it gets me stopped quick enough for me. (So far)
 
Matt if your brake is squeaking a lot check the pads and see if they are about gone. It could just be brake dust which could be blown out with an air hose and nozzle but it's best to check the pads first.

It's real easy especially the rear. Look from the back and you are looking at how much medium gray pad is left. To check the inner pad look a little from the top or use a small mirror. These pads have 7600 miles on them.

 
Thanks, Mickey. They're just dusty, but they seem to get dusty quick like. Thanks for your tips on checking the pad wear, though. I have been relying on my mechanic to tell me this. Good to know that it's an easy check. :)
 
Should have noted the pads are not very thick to start with and you can run them down to maybe 1/8" or less of that gray pad showing
 
Initially, I reported I was not happy with my rear brake and still am not but to a lessor degree. I used both brakes everytime I stop or slow down pretty much. Thats just the way I was taught right or wrong. Now, I think I understand why Honda made the back a little vague. You have a heck of a set of fronts and with the back being a little vague (for a lack of a better term) and it keeps you from locking it somewhat if you are non ABS like me. I still dont like it but I am getting more used to it. When I climb back on my Nighthawk I will probably lock up the rear right off the bat. I really think they are equal in stopping power(rear brake only) but there is a lot to be said for an old style drum brake or a lot less said about a modern disc. Take your pick. I just need to get the feel and modulation to be the same if that is possible.

I like this CB1100 more and more every mile I ride. Just fits my riding to a tee. IF there was ever a perfect motorcycle this is pretty much it for me at this time despite some of my minor nitpiks.

PS: If anybody wants to know what truely bad brakes really are buy a 2003 1200 Harley Sportster. I dont know how I survived riding that thing but I did. I will never go back down that road.
 
That's great F7. It would be horrible if, after all this anticipation, you didn't bond with it.

It gets better too.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
That's great F7. It would be horrible if, after all this anticipation, you didn't bond with it.

It gets better too.
Naw, Mate I love this thing and its only getting better. Its a keeper. :thumbsup::biker:
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That's great F7. It would be horrible if, after all this anticipation, you didn't bond with it.

It gets better too.
Naw, Mate I love this thing and its only getting better. Its a keeper. :thumbsup::biker:
It really is. Every time I start hankering for a new bike I take mine out for a short ride or long weekend, and I realize there's really nothing out there that's as versatile, fun to ride, and generally cool. I rode an FJR-ES at the Daytona track, and man, it was cool as hell. Handles like a sportbike, comfy as an Ultra Classic, every bell and whistle out there. By the end of the demo I was ready to buy one. Then I rode the CB home and I'm thinking...ok, the FJ would be great for the 3-hour superslab ride, but would I jump on it the way I do for a quick spin to the beach after work? Would I enjoy doing maintenance on it, like I do with the CB? Would hot women approach me in parking lots asking "is that your CB?" I think not...
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That's great F7. It would be horrible if, after all this anticipation, you didn't bond with it.

It gets better too.
Naw, Mate I love this thing and its only getting better. Its a keeper. :thumbsup::biker:
It really is. Every time I start hankering for a new bike I take mine out for a short ride or long weekend, and I realize there's really nothing out there that's as versatile, fun to ride, and generally cool. I rode an FJR-ES at the Daytona track, and man, it was cool as hell. Handles like a sportbike, comfy as an Ultra Classic, every bell and whistle out there. By the end of the demo I was ready to buy one. Then I rode the CB home and I'm thinking...ok, the FJ would be great for the 3-hour superslab ride, but would I jump on it the way I do for a quick spin to the beach after work? Would I enjoy doing maintenance on it, like I do with the CB? Would hot women approach me in parking lots asking "is that your CB?" I think not...
It really is. Every time I start hankering for a new bike I take mine out for a short ride or long weekend, and I realize there's really nothing out there that's as versatile, fun to ride, and generally cool. I rode an FJR-ES at the Daytona track, and man, it was cool as hell. Handles like a sportbike, comfy as an Ultra Classic, every bell and whistle out there. By the end of the demo I was ready to buy one. Then I rode the CB home and I'm thinking...ok, the FJ would be great for the 3-hour superslab ride, but would I jump on it the way I do for a quick spin to the beach after work? Would I enjoy doing maintenance on it, like I do with the CB? Would hot women approach me in parking lots asking "is that your CB?" I think not...
Just curious spaceman, but as a matter of interest, and just so I can prepare myself for it, just how long was it after you got your cbee that these hot women started approaching you?

No particular reason for asking.

Just hasn't happened to me yet.

I mean, I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

No reason to think it wouldn't happen.

But, i'm not getting any...

...younger.
 
I have to say, spaceman is not alone in being approached by hot women in the parking lot when riding the CB. I had a drop dead gorgeous woman come up to me just the other day and ask the same exact thing - "Is that your CB?" I was thrown off for a second and before I could respond, she said, "You really should park in dedicated motorcycle parking. You're taking up a whole spot with just your motorcycle." She then smugly walked away. I was left thinking that was the cheesiest pick up line I had ever heard. Needless to say, I didn't fall for it and I let her keep walking. It must have been really hard for her not to turn around to see if I had taken the bait! These CB's are like chick magnets!
 
I didn't know what trail braking was either...even after watching this video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1kRpUGdJM ,

even though he was describing it he didn't come out as say it, I finally had to go to wikipedia ....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

I do like the guys bikes and his set up in the video....the coat rack in the garage is a different idea.

I rarely use the rear brake, but I did find myself using it when riding the dragon...it seemed to smooth out the rear end wanting to float around as I braked more heavily on the front.

My first experience that shied me away from the rear brake was back in 1972 when I got my first street bike a Honda CL350....coming into town from highway speed....hit a red light.....hit the rear brake only and I bet I slid 50 feet, all the way through the intersection....luckily no one was coming....been shy of the rear brake ever since ;-)

I wish I could afford to fly to CA and do some "track time." Are there any safety courses here in the mid-west on actual race tracks, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio etc.
 
It's funny this would come up again.
After about 3 decades on sportbikes, I've come to trust and almost only use the front brakes, unless in a real emergency/panic situation. Hopping on the CB ('13, non-ABS), I obviously adopted the same routine, and found the fronts to be incredibly confidence inspiring, and really, not much of a step away from sportbike-efficient. So when I first read about the wooden rear brakes here, I was a little taken aback, since I'd never really used them, or really even thought about them. So I tried them to see what they'd do, and was dismayed at how weak they truly are. I'm blown away that with all the other quality components on this bike, the rears are so lacking. Luckily, as I said, I'm not a big rear-brake user, but man, one would certainly like to know they're up to the task if needed!
 
Sure enought, I crawled back on my Nighthawk today and rode some and the brakes are butt backwards. Front is a little weak and the back feels really good unlike the 1100. Feel and how it stops are two different things but the Nighthawk feels better period to me back brake wise. Conversely, as many of you know, the fronts are adequate but that is about it while the 1100 has killer stopping power from the front. Its hard adjusting going back and forth.
 
I used the brakes hard when a car pulled out in front of me and stopped. I was accelerating at the time and thought I was done for. It was a true panic stop. I was amazed, the bike stopped with room to spare, nothing locked up, just odd (but now much appreciated) sounds from the braking system while the anti-lock was working.
I was relieved, as I know Eric wouldn't have been very happy with me...... :)
 
Back
Top