Tank knee pads

Greg_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been thinking about tank knee pads. I love the way they look on older Hondas and new Triumph standards still come with them. Keith Code (A Twist of the Throttle) talks a lot about keeping shoulders and arms loose and holding on to the tank with your knees. This would seem to be a lot easier with tank knee pads.

I've looked at what's on eBay and Amazon; pads for vintage Hondas like the CD175, S65 and more recent Triumphs. There's nothing on webike japan. Sport bike hackers use non-slip tape or truck bed spray but there's no way I would do that!

The appeal is primarily aesthetic, as it visually calls attention to one aspect of riding technique, but I'm curious to see if it enhances the riding experience.

Any thoughts?

Honda CB450 with tank knee pads
 
I have some form of grip pads on all my bikes....except not the cb1100 yet. More than style, they aid your riding and weight shift...a lot.
 
I love the looks of either knee pads or indents for the knees..the 11 has knee dents sorta. I would consider knee pads if they looked good.
 
I would love to know too when these become available specially need them when riding 70mph on the freeway which is may daily commute...
 
I have knee pads on my 04 Bonnie. They give a period look. The only thing I miss is the beautiful red of the tank that is covered.
 
I have been trying to find some knee7 pads that fit the indents on the tank. Has anyone come up with any?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Here is one thread that shows some examples: Tank Guards?

I searched on tank pads and a bunch of threads showed up. I only looked at one :)
 
That's what I did too. Saw maybe two that were the rubber looking pads that I'm searching for, but they didn't say where to get them. I'm running the 3m clear bra now but want something that serves the dual purpose of looking cool and protecting. So I thought i would try and dust off this old thread 😀

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I think one member, at least, used a Triump knee pad. Don't remember the thread. Maybe I'll search around later.

I have the Tankslapper on my bike too, and on my ST1300. The ST comes with knee pads, but they are not installed. In fact, I think Ferret has his on the side cases of his ST.
 
I have clear stuff somewhere on all my bikes but it is certainly not grippy, to the contrary it is as slippery as the paint I would think. Just doesn't let the paint get scratches. To me, with my short legs and big belly, the best use of the stuff is in the belt buckle, jacket zipper area of the tank. I ride splayed knee so the knee pad area doesn't get much damage.
 
I've got some nice rubber knee pads fitted to my CB1100, and they look great. I've also got done fitted to my Triumph Thruxton. I got mine from a supplier called Motone. They are designed for the Triumph, but they fit perfect to the 1100. I purchased the plain ones for the CB.

Regards
J.W.
 
I could only imagine being tempted if the shape of the pads matched the lines of the tank.

5ada188ea6bc3f243cec57038e1f4bba.jpg
 
I installed a pair I purchased from SAMs powersports on eBay for $22.95, look pretty good on the bike.
Small enough to blend quite nicely and period enough to compliment the bike. Seem to be functional, rode for 5 hours last week through the foothills on mainly well traveled roads using them and they stayed in place while my knees didn't complain.
 
Here is another thread: Gas Tank Knee Pads

Make sure you scroll and look at all the pics as he tried the pad a few different ways.
 
Do you have any pics J.W. of the knee pads from Montone?
Thanks
Dino
J.W._imp said:
I've got some nice rubber knee pads fitted to my CB1100, and they look great. I've also got done fitted to my Triumph Thruxton. I got mine from a supplier called Motone. They are designed for the Triumph, but they fit perfect to the 1100. I purchased the plain ones for the CB.

Regards
J.W.
 
Back
Top