Tank Guards?

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
CB1100ers,

One thing i love about the CB is the perfectly shaped and grippable tank, it adds so much to the handling and riding experience.

However....my 2014 black model, the paint seems to be somewhat prone to scratches/swirl marks, I can see them as plain as day in the sun from were I grip the tank with my knees...

Does anyone have a suggestion for tank guards? Like the Triumph Scrambler has, rubber/plastic guards that adhere to the tank to protect it from damage/wear from the legs when riding.

Thanks,

Scott
 
DaSwami_imp said:
CB1100ers,

One thing i love about the CB is the perfectly shaped and grippable tank, it adds so much to the handling and riding experience.

However....my 2014 black model, the paint seems to be somewhat prone to scratches/swirl marks, I can see them as plain as day in the sun from were I grip the tank with my knees...

Does anyone have a suggestion for tank guards? Like the Triumph Scrambler has, rubber/plastic guards that adhere to the tank to protect it from damage/wear from the legs when riding.

Thanks,

Scott
If you like the MagKnight idea do a forum search for that old thread as it also has a printable pattern you can use or adjust/resize to suit yourself and the way you want it to look on your tank.
 
Is it this thread? post #9.

If necessary, I have the pattern he emailed me and I can dig it out.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Is it this thread? post #9.

If necessary, I have the pattern he emailed me and I can dig it out.
Was there supposed to be a link to another thread? For some reason I can't see it. I'm interested in this as well.
 
A good alternative for those looking to protect tank but not hide original paint color is the clear film method. A few forum members have used products from "thetankslapper.biz website including myself. I seem to remember there was a thread with a great How to tutorial. I'm sure a search would bring it up.
 
c-breezy_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Is it this thread? post #9.

If necessary, I have the pattern he emailed me and I can dig it out.
Was there supposed to be a link to another thread? For some reason I can't see it. I'm interested in this as well.
Was there supposed to be a link to another thread? For some reason I can't see it. I'm interested in this as well.
Yes, there was supposed to be a link :blush:

Here it is: Tank Pad post 9
 
Forum tip: You can link directly to a particular post in a thread. Simply go to that post—in the case of the one popgun's been talking about, #9—and right click* on the "#9" in the top right hand corer of the post. Amongst the menus items that appear is one that says something like "Copy Link Address". Select that, paste it into your post, Tank Pad, or like this if you want to be a smart a*rse, and Bob's your uncle.

*For my friend Hiram E, right click means, point the cursor at the number and wait until it turns into a little hand. At that moment press the right button of your mouse and a menu should appear. Of course, if you're using a Mac mouse with only one button this won't help. You might have to hold the Control key while you press.
 
capttwb136_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I cut my own tank guards using magnetic sheet from MagKnight > http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

As you can see, I wrapped the guards around the corner of the tank on my 2014 Deluxe as I was scuffing the paint there too.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago.
 
Cormanus, Thanks for that tip! Again, I :worship: to you! :hello:

Edit to ask: how do you do the "like this" thing?
 
I like for a bike to get a bit of a worn look to it. It shows that it is being ridden like it should. And I always found any kind of pads or protection to be uglier than a couple of scuff marks.
 
When the tankslapper stuff is on the bike, you can't even see it and it comes right off if you want to remove it or replace it.
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
I cut my own tank guards using magnetic sheet from MagKnight > http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

As you can see, I wrapped the guards around the corner of the tank on my 2014 Deluxe as I was scuffing the paint there too.
Tink!! More closeup photos please and any "pattern" or other tips on how you made those look so good?

Awesome responses guys, this forum is impressive in the knowledge here and how quickly and easily the users share it.
 
Rocky_imp said:
capttwb136_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I cut my own tank guards using magnetic sheet from MagKnight > http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

As you can see, I wrapped the guards around the corner of the tank on my 2014 Deluxe as I was scuffing the paint there too.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago. Thanks Rocky! Just what I needed to know. Did you get two sheets? Or did one sheet do it?
 
DaSwami_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I cut my own tank guards using magnetic sheet from MagKnight > http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

As you can see, I wrapped the guards around the corner of the tank on my 2014 Deluxe as I was scuffing the paint there too.
Tink!! More closeup photos please and any "pattern" or other tips on how you made those look so good?

Awesome responses guys, this forum is impressive in the knowledge here and how quickly and easily the users share it.
More photos: http://photosbytink.com/cb1100kneepads/

I added a picture of the pattern to the slide show. Up to you to figure out how to print it to scale.

TINK
 
capttwb136_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
capttwb136_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
I cut my own tank guards using magnetic sheet from MagKnight > http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple Sheet.htm

As you can see, I wrapped the guards around the corner of the tank on my 2014 Deluxe as I was scuffing the paint there too.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago.
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago. Thanks Rocky! Just what I needed to know. Did you get two sheets? Or did one sheet do it?
That really was a great idea. Looks like bikes back in the 60's and seventies. Do the "pads" stay firmly in place? I'd like to protect my tank where my knees rest.
Yes they do.
Mine have never moved since I put them on over one year ago. Thanks Rocky! Just what I needed to know. Did you get two sheets? Or did one sheet do it?
The sheets are 9" x 12" so you should get two sheets, but it depends on how large you want the finished product to be.
If you make them too small they won't look right so I would get two sheets.
 
Back
Top