SW Motech engine guard saved the day

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
While riding alone in the countryside last Friday afternoon, I dropped the bike while entering into a side road. Did not even realised it until the bike was sliding on the loose gravel with me trapped from under.
Not too much damaged on the bike except for a bent front brake lever, broken right turn signal light and scratched exhaust and the tach chrome housing.
I must say that the SW Motech engine guard saved the bike from excessive damage.

I personally did not suffer any bruise or cuts, however, strained my muscles lifting the bike - trust me that 500 lbs chunk of metal is heavy to lift from the ground, only my pride was hurt.
Note: I tried to lift the bike using the back* technique, but, there were too much loose grave and my booths had no traction.

Today after receiving the brake lever, I installed it and took the opportunity to perform a full inspection on the bike.
Most important observation, the right side bent brake lever did not have the rubber thingie to protect it from damages - Since I lost it during the WV meet last year and I did not had the chance to replace it.(Karma?)
Damaged viewed from top.
Next task will be the engine guard paint job.
 
That’s a bugger, Alain. I pleased to hear you’re okay and the bike is not badly hurt.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
While riding alone in the countryside last Friday afternoon, I dropped the bike while entering into a side road. Did not even realised it until the bike was sliding on the loose gravel with me trapped from under.
Not too much damaged on the bike except for a bent front brake lever, broken right turn signal light and scratched exhaust and the tach chrome housing.
I must say that the SW Motech engine guard saved the bike from excessive damage.

I personally did not suffer any bruise or cuts, however, strained my muscles lifting the bike - trust me that 500 lbs chunk of metal is heavy to lift from the ground, only my pride was hurt.
Note: I tried to lift the bike using the back* technique, but, there were too much loose grave and my booths had no traction.

Today after receiving the brake lever, I installed it and took the opportunity to perform a full inspection on the bike.
Most important observation, the right side bent brake lever did not have the rubber thingie to protect it from damages - Since I lost it during the WV meet last year and I did not had the chance to replace it.(Karma?)
Damaged viewed from top.
Next task will be the engine guard paint job.
Hope you are okay. I too have the crash bars on both CB's! I noticed those cool red reservoir covers!
 
Glad you are ok. There is a set of crash bars on Ebay used but like new for $120.

Would be better than paint on your right side, and a spare for your left.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Glad to hear that you are ok Alain. And yes, definitely karma, rlet up asap!
I’ll try to install the RLET sometime this weekend to avoid karma again
michael1954_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
While riding alone in the countryside last Friday afternoon, I dropped the bike while entering into a side road. Did not even realised it until the bike was sliding on the loose gravel with me trapped from under.
Not too much damaged on the bike except for a bent front brake lever, broken right turn signal light and scratched exhaust and the tach chrome housing.
I must say that the SW Motech engine guard saved the bike from excessive damage.

I personally did not suffer any bruise or cuts, however, strained my muscles lifting the bike - trust me that 500 lbs chunk of metal is heavy to lift from the ground, only my pride was hurt.
Note: I tried to lift the bike using the back* technique, but, there were too much loose grave and my booths had no traction.

Today after receiving the brake lever, I installed it and took the opportunity to perform a full inspection on the bike.
Most important observation, the right side bent brake lever did not have the rubber thingie to protect it from damages - Since I lost it during the WV meet last year and I did not had the chance to replace it.(Karma?)
Damaged viewed from top.
Next task will be the engine guard paint job.
Hope you are okay. I too have the crash bars on both CB's! I noticed those cool red reservoir covers!
Hope you are okay. I too have the crash bars on both CB's! I noticed those cool red reservoir covers!
Mtneer has similar cover (blue) on his lovely bike and guided me on AliExpress
 
That's a bummer. Glad to hear you were able to walk away with no major damage to your bike.

Just curious- How fast were you going?

Also, the guard looks scraped up but still in good shape, did it bend at all? Having those on did not only save your engine covers but also your tank it looks like :thumbsup:

I doubt the infamous RLET's would've done much for you in this situation..
 
What is nice about those case savers - you can emery cloth and paint them, ready for a 2nd go around. If you buy new ones - keep them in the closet until you sell (if you ever do). It's a wear item and there is plenty of life left in them. :D

Glad your gear was not tested. I have found that the case savers make it lot easier to lift up, prop the bike on the case savers, then back into the bike and pop her up.
 
Most importantly, it's good to hear that you didn't sustain any injuries. Parts can be fixed, bones, etc, are not so easy to repair or replace. I can feel your pain though about the bike - I'm recovering from a tip-over, and have to swap out my tank.
 
Thread starter
I do not think that I was going fast due to the fact that the bike slid for roughly 10 ft.
Yes, the bike was lying on the engine guard keeping the tank away from the ground.
The tank suffered a small dent from contacting the flasher unit which bent back due to contact with the asphalt. The engine guard did not bent a bit only deep scratches, indeed it saved the bike from more damages such as crankcase, tank.
The exhaust tail end also suffered from a tiny scratch by keeping the bike up from the ground.
One item that puzzle me was the instrument meter - the chrome tachometer cover made contact with the asphalt, luckily nothing broke - only bent and scratched.

Even though I was stuck under the bike my riding gear did not suffer any scratches (Gloves, pants) How come, I really cannot explain, may be the speed was approximately 20 - 30 mph?

This type of incident occurs mostly in early spring time due to snow plough and I am always very careful during the first few rides every year.

The infamous RLET was only a joke to Mickey and Peter.

Attached is a much better picture of the damages.

Regards
Alain Lee
 
Alain, the main thing you are ok. I'm sure you will have your CB repaired and where someone will never know it was (slightly) damaged.
When I saw you and your CB last year at the Rally, I knew you were taking a huge risk riding with one RLET! If you have studied Physics, you would know:
The aerodynamics of the bike is not balanced side to side, (imagine an airplane with one side wing shorter than the other side).
The moment taken from the handle bar center point and along the side handlebar's length are unequal comparing the left side to the right side.
Hope to see you in Pennsylvania!
 
RLETS are not a joke :dodgy: And balanced the Force must be. 2 RLETs are needed on a motorcycle. Tempted by the Dark Side do not be :D
 
Su305 and LP, you’re both correct as to RLETS. I would not even tow a CB with just ONE RLETs. Glad to have invisible, which are indestructible and last forever :D:cool:
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
I do not think that I was going fast due to the fact that the bike slid for roughly 10 ft.
Yes, the bike was lying on the engine guard keeping the tank away from the ground.
The tank suffered a small dent from contacting the flasher unit which bent back due to contact with the asphalt. The engine guard did not bent a bit only deep scratches, indeed it saved the bike from more damages such as crankcase, tank.
The exhaust tail end also suffered from a tiny scratch by keeping the bike up from the ground.
One item that puzzle me was the instrument meter - the chrome tachometer cover made contact with the asphalt, luckily nothing broke - only bent and scratched.

Even though I was stuck under the bike my riding gear did not suffer any scratches (Gloves, pants) How come, I really cannot explain, may be the speed was approximately 20 - 30 mph?

This type of incident occurs mostly in early spring time due to snow plough and I am always very careful during the first few rides every year.

The infamous RLET was only a joke to Mickey and Peter.

Attached is a much better picture of the damages.

Regards
Alain Lee
Aghhhh. Hate to see the stupid blinkers be the reason your tank was dinged, hopefully PDR will work in that area.

Given your idea to re-use the protectors, I think Powdercoating would be the absolute best way to go, although not always cheap/easy to do..

Any plans of upgrading the now-scraped pipe?

Also, someone mentioned earlier there was a used set of SW Mototech's on eBay, no sign of them as of now, or at least I couldn't find them
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Su305 and LP, you’re both correct as to RLETS. I would not even tow a CB with just ONE RLETs. Glad to have invisible, which are indestructible and last forever :D:cool:
They're okay, except that they emit a constant aroma of bovine faecal matter. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Su305 and LP, you’re both correct as to RLETS. I would not even tow a CB with just ONE RLETs. Glad to have invisible, which are indestructible and last forever :D:cool:
They're okay, except that they emit a constant aroma of bovine faecal matter. :D
They're okay, except that they emit a constant aroma of bovine faecal matter. :D From the rider ???
 
:rofl:, yeah, I read the installation manual, it says L-H traffic only
b52793ac9496c444d1a4f1cc2a18fdf3.png
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
I do not think that I was going fast due to the fact that the bike slid for roughly 10 ft.
Yes, the bike was lying on the engine guard keeping the tank away from the ground.
The tank suffered a small dent from contacting the flasher unit which bent back due to contact with the asphalt. The engine guard did not bent a bit only deep scratches, indeed it saved the bike from more damages such as crankcase, tank.
The exhaust tail end also suffered from a tiny scratch by keeping the bike up from the ground.
One item that puzzle me was the instrument meter - the chrome tachometer cover made contact with the asphalt, luckily nothing broke - only bent and scratched.

Even though I was stuck under the bike my riding gear did not suffer any scratches (Gloves, pants) How come, I really cannot explain, may be the speed was approximately 20 - 30 mph?

This type of incident occurs mostly in early spring time due to snow plough and I am always very careful during the first few rides every year.

The infamous RLET was only a joke to Mickey and Peter.

Attached is a much better picture of the damages.

Regards
Alain Lee
Aghhhh. Hate to see the stupid blinkers be the reason your tank was dinged, hopefully PDR will work in that area.

Given your idea to re-use the protectors, I think Powdercoating would be the absolute best way to go, although not always cheap/easy to do..

Any plans of upgrading the now-scraped pipe?

Also, someone mentioned earlier there was a used set of SW Mototech's on eBay, no sign of them as of now, or at least I couldn't find them


They sold- and it says 'best offer accepted' so went for less than $120 shipped- https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-HONDA...Cq&vxp=mtr
 
Back
Top