SW motech risers...black!

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
These arrived today...maybe install later. Decided to try black to mix it up a little. One of the risers has a little nick but some touch up black will take of it.
1473e3b07bb9fdb4d338ec14d5118843.jpg

Looking for a more upright position.
 
Thread starter
Fairly easy. Attach riser base first. I pulled up on the handle bar to get it over the new riser base and that was tight, but once the bar settled down into the half-circle of the riser base, all was good. I tightened it down and started the bike, full free motion moving the handle bar full left, full right, all good.
85cb876e7642e2e7d0b20474a18fcbc0.jpg


Color photos I took didn't look right, so I tried some black and whites, and these look close to reality.
c0adcb6c26018cf84b36d44dcdb77b54.jpg

da3a08871fe68b5e7fcdb155ce635fc4.jpg


Major decision...do I go with the stock chromed caps, or do I use the SW Mototech black ones?
602991edc171752590f42c1222c3bc52.jpg


Cold rain coming and going this afternoon in Oregon, broken up with brief hail...not a good time to feel the results, but sitting on the bike on the center stand, I like it...higher, closer to my body, more relaxed. I think they'll help a lot as I felt forced forward a little too much for my liking.
 
Another member just posted that they cured his problem. Hope they do for you too!

They look cool. Put the chrome cap on and compare them. Post a pic so we can see.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Another member just posted that they cured his problem. Hope they do for you too!

They look cool. Put the chrome cap on and compare them. Post a pic so we can see.
Caps...I realized the stock set up have four while the new risers have six. So all black...
845dc03d515c2f71b7ac388ea1fc1d8a.jpg


A little further back...
52ccfe470e53c7f8b79fd3831b0f68c5.jpg


And a bit more...
d95712348ce2049c0388000529feb8f3.jpg
 
Looks good, pdedse. Hope they help.
 
What did you do for throttle cables and brake line? I'm trying to install the same risers. I don't like the way the cables stretched and the brake line is tight. I don't see a way to reroute them.

Sent from me......
 
Thread starter
MMC_imp said:
What did you do for throttle cables and brake line? I'm trying to install the same risers. I don't like the way the cables stretched and the brake line is tight. I don't see a way to reroute them.

Sent from me......
I did not adjust the cables or brake line. I attached the base of the risers, lifted the handle bars up and the cables were tight as I tried to lift the bar over the highest point of the base of the riser. But once I gently coaxed the bar over the highest point of the riser base, the bar then settles down into the groove. I did notice that if I tried to rotate the handlebar down at that point that soon the cables felt tight again. Moved the bars slightly up, and there was slack again. I tightened everything down, started, and turned hard right and left and didn't notice anything tight. Test road and the bar is a little crooked, maybe off by 1/8", so I need to straighten that, but the cables seem ok to me. Another forum member also said he installed these and did not have to adjust the cables nor brake line. My bike is a '14 standard.
 
I've had these same risers on three different bikes. Great product, never had a problem with brake or clutch cables that some rerouting could not fix.
 
I suppose I could reroute. I'll have to look closer at how I can. I didn't spend much time on them, it was late and I just wanted to get them on before my commute this morning.

Sent from me......
 
MMC, have you tried loosening the riser clamp and rotating your handlebar forward or back a little? That might solve your problem, without having to re-route cables.
 
Just installed different risers, same problem. Rmove headlight from mount, open the headlight case you can free up wire harness slack that is coiled inside of headlight housing.
 
I put on the same bar backs as you guys about two weeks ago and was contemplating rerouting the front brake hose to come behind the top triple tree. It looks like a straighter shot from union on the lower triple tree and the master cylinder. Haven't done it yet though. I think I would have to drain some of the brake fluid and disconnect the upper banjo fitting and reroute the line to behind the top tree and reconnect. I am due for brake fluid change anyways so no big deal. Will take picture and let you know when I do it.

modmaster
 
Don't know if anyone reads this older post but, you can loosen the clamps holding on the brake and clutch and slide them and get a good bit of slack
and not affect the manipulation of the levers.
 
I put GenMar X102 risers on my '14 Std. I purposely moved the brake line to the inside of the wire loom which holds the throttle cables in place. Thus, no tightness in brake line for me.
 
I did the SW-Motech barbacks. The height increase is good, but there will be some rerouting work this winter in order to be able to rotate the bars all the way back towards me.
 
Back
Top