Suspension setup

Bbref36_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Forgive my ignorance , but I have no idea how to set up the suspension properly for my CB. My last bike was a motocross bike and with my CRF 450 the first step was to set the sag. Then adjust rebound and compression as needed. I would assume rebound and compression can be set on the CB as well but I have no idea how to set it for best performance. I literally have not had a street bike since I sold my CB 400 SS in 1984. I haven't check the manual yet, but I was just thinking about it now and I thought I would throw it out to the group.
 
Do you have a shock spanner tool? Looks like a big hooked C with a handle?

It comes from the factory with the forks on the middle setting (3 rings showing..there are 2 more rings below you find by screwing the big screw counter clockwise..both forks must be on the same ring and watch alignment of screw head) and the shocks on the 4 th of 5 softest setting(there are 3 slots above and 1 more below). If you are going to be riding solo mostly (occasional passenger) the factory settings are fairly neutral. If you are carrying a passenger a lot you may want to stiffen up both ends 1 position. If you are going to be carrying passenger and luggage a lot you may want to stiffen them both 2 positions. If you are fairly light and ride solo all the time and are not a real aggressive rider, you may want to soften those settings a position. I am in that last category and have mine set at 4 rings showing front and deepest slot rear. If you are an aggressive rider (corner carver) you may also want to stiffen your suspension from factory settings...although to tell you the truth with this price point suspension, I'm not sure changing it either full soft or full hard gets you much difference lol.
 
Guideline measurements for sag on street bikes is 30-35mm front and 28-37mm rear. As stated, these are just guidelines. It ultimately comes down to rider preference.
 
Got anything between the time and how to build the watch? That was a bit too much for me to understand. Is sag the distance the shock goes down when you sit on it?
 
AZrider_imp said:
Got anything between the time and how to build the watch? That was a bit too much for me to understand. Is sag the distance the shock goes down when you sit on it?
In the simplest term yes. Sag is measured 2 ways, first with just the weight of the motorcycle, and second with the rider aboard in full gear.

The bad thing about talking suspension topics is they all take too long to explain.:)
 
AZrider_imp said:
That's close enough and about what I thought. Makes sense. Thanks.
depending on the definition, many of us consider sag to be the difference between the suspension height with no weight(wheels off ground) and rider aboard.
 
Back
Top