Installing RLETs on a CB1100 (All Models)

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
Rightfully so, I was strongly encouraged to install RLETs on my motorcycle. Finding the OEM part was easy enough, but I did have some trouble sourcing an installation procedure which did not involve cursing, heartache, and bloody fingers.

The procedure I used below was definitely improvised. I suspect there is a truly professional procedure which is better. Feel free to mock this improvisation and set the record straight.

That said, here is how I managed to get two RLETs installed in about an hour.

Step 1: Order twice as many RLETs as you plan to install. It is easy to split a seam no matter how you install them. I ordered mine from Partzilla. The compatible OEM Part Number is 95010-16001. I recommend you ignore the warning about the part not fitting a CB110. This OEM part will fit.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/95010-16001

Step 2: When you receive the RLETs, unwrap the package and confirm that all of the rubber seams are in tact. Take a 5/16 socket and insert it into the center of the RLET:

f8439174f8ede8289e0bc44ace3ca98a.jpeg


2ced1ba17376a38729e229aad9484f80.jpeg


Step 3: Heat some water in a glass until it is almost boiling. Place the RLET into the glass. Let it it “simmer” for 15 minutes. Heat more water and replace the water in the glass. Let the RLET “simmer” for another 15 minutes. Be careful with the glass, water, and RLET. Everything absorbs heat and can burn you.

5fb5ea1c91cc7532b2b046dc34141f79.jpeg


Step 4: Remove the RLET from the water. Remove the 5/16 socket from the RLET. Spray an aerosol based oil like PAM or something similar into the opening of the RLET. Try to keep the oil “inside” the RLET. Do everything you can to keep the oil away from the rubber on the RLET which faces outward. Oil on the outside of the RLET will make it difficult to push down onto the handlebar in the next step:

f41bc215f60ff330dabdba8a1d12eac4.jpeg


5160dc8ea33f15f047977236cc62780d.jpeg


Step 5: Take a good pair of needle nose pliers and “pry” open the RLET. This task requires as much “feel” as strength. Open slowly, stretching the already softened rubber. When you have an adequate opening, slip it over the lever where you want to place the RLET. Note that you will only be able to get the RLET on partially. Once it is “halfway” on the handlebar, withdraw the needle nose plowers and use your hands to finish pushing the RLET into its final position. When the RLET cools, it will return to its original shape. Like all parts on our CB1100s, Honda used only the best rubber to make the RLETs.

bece6f1397371f22496e095c02d2111b.jpeg


48d25433f48e3463ba61402936d62b3e.jpeg


Hope these notes are useful. I welcome any suggestions for improving them or an existing post which has a better approach.

Take care,
David
 
Thread starter
Karidis_imp said:
Easy RLET installation, using a sheep castrator
Easy RLET installation, using a sheep castrator
Definitely easier.

Although I own a horse farm with plenty of animals and grew up hunting, there is something about using a castration tool for anything which makes me a little queasy. :) However, if I found myself on an assembly line installing RLETs, I am sure I would get over it. Thanks for the video and the creativity. Truly impressive! David
 
I just put on rubber gloves for good grip, spray some lubricant, like armor-all inside the RLET and shove it on.
 
No longer a Padawan you are Rd! The ring is purring :)

I think member Nemo holds the record for RLET installation. Something like 10 seconds.
 
Ferret will be along shortly to sort out the angel.
 
Very nice David, and another angel get's their wings!

I did mine the easy way...in Dec 2012 when I bought my 2013 bike, I had the shop put them on before I picked it up.

Then did the same when I traded the 13 in on the 14 Deluxe lol.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Very nice David, and another angel get's their wings!

I did mine the easy way...in Dec 2012 when I bought my 2013 bike, I had the shop put them on before I picked it up.

Then did the same when I traded the 13 in on the 14 Deluxe lol.
Well, I stand before my betters humbled and amused. Between castration devices, some kind of white magic, and outsourcing, there appears to be easier methods to install RLETs than what I did by looking in my tool box! :) Kidding aside, thanks for the not so gentle push to get it done. The motorcycle looks nicer with them. Have a great weekend.
 
David, your reverence for the importance of the RLETs will put you in good standing here on the forum. Be sure to keep a good supply of rubber preservative in your detailing kit. Can't let them get dry and cracked now, after all of that work.
 
At the rally's we used to have an Rlet install contest and yes Nemo, a member from Fla, was able to put one on in 12 or 14 seconds one year, using a little lube and a gloved hand. I think at the 2022 rally Nemo again installed one in about a minute. Dac and Kiowa Eagle with the stop watches.

9508753d8c529dc96dc3a901720b7710.jpg
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
David, your reverence for the importance of the RLETs will put you in good standing here on the forum. Be sure to keep a good supply of rubber preservative in your detailing kit. Can't let them get dry and cracked now, after all of that work.
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
 
Rdprdp01_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
David, your reverence for the importance of the RLETs will put you in good standing here on the forum. Be sure to keep a good supply of rubber preservative in your detailing kit. Can't let them get dry and cracked now, after all of that work.
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Rdprdp01_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
David, your reverence for the importance of the RLETs will put you in good standing here on the forum. Be sure to keep a good supply of rubber preservative in your detailing kit. Can't let them get dry and cracked now, after all of that work.
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
Gn6, although I would never part with my 2017, I would be very proud to own your bike. It is lovely.

If the stars align and someday we find ourselves sharing the same sky, I will detail both bikes while you make me laugh loudly while with tales of the magical powers of RLETS and obscure Star War references.

I also enjoy the way a CB1100 moves people to engage with we owners at coffee shops, town squares, and the like. It is a retro bike that magically brings back retro behavior where people stop looking at iPhones and reconnect with their surroundings and people. I have owned many motorcycles of different styles. I should be slightly embarrassed that I cannot recall the total number or even recall the look and feel of a few of them. All of them had good engineering, but some of them had no soul. As nice as those motorcycles were, none of them caused people to take break from their hectic life and live in the moment.

Yesterday, my work landed me in at 911 Dispatch Center which shares a parking lot with a Police Department. I rode the motorcycle there. As I dismounted the CB1100, five people gathered around to tell me that my motorcycle was an amazing “old” bike with the most beautiful gas tank they had ever seen. They asked some questions about the “custom color” and where I had all the “custom chrome parts made.” When I told them it was in its OEM state circa 2017, they were amazed. Life is good on a CB1100.
 
Thank you for the kind words! Ya never know, fate might intervene someday. Of my three bikes, the CB gets the most attention from bystanders. Followed by the Enfield, usually people who have read about them and want to ask if a bike so cheap is really any good.

Keep on polishing!
 
Rdprdp01_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Rdprdp01_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
David, your reverence for the importance of the RLETs will put you in good standing here on the forum. Be sure to keep a good supply of rubber preservative in your detailing kit. Can't let them get dry and cracked now, after all of that work.
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
Gn6, although I would never part with my 2017, I would be very proud to own your bike. It is lovely.

If the stars align and someday we find ourselves sharing the same sky, I will detail both bikes while you make me laugh loudly while with tales of the magical powers of RLETS and obscure Star War references.

I also enjoy the way a CB1100 moves people to engage with we owners at coffee shops, town squares, and the like. It is a retro bike that magically brings back retro behavior where people stop looking at iPhones and reconnect with their surroundings and people. I have owned many motorcycles of different styles. I should be slightly embarrassed that I cannot recall the total number or even recall the look and feel of a few of them. All of them had good engineering, but some of them had no soul. As nice as those motorcycles were, none of them caused people to take break from their hectic life and live in the moment.

Yesterday, my work landed me in at 911 Dispatch Center which shares a parking lot with a Police Department. I rode the motorcycle there. As I dismounted the CB1100, five people gathered around to tell me that my motorcycle was an amazing “old” bike with the most beautiful gas tank they had ever seen. They asked some questions about the “custom color” and where I had all the “custom chrome parts made.” When I told them it was in its OEM state circa 2017, they were amazed. Life is good on a CB1100.
Noted. i may be a RLET moron, but I am an accomplished detailer. compulsive to be candid.That I detail the bike every week is a healthier vice than those usually pursued by men my age. :)
Well then, how about if I trade you my '13 for your '17. You'll love compusively polishing the single-walled stainless exhaust headers after every ride to keep them from turning gold or heaven forbid, get small black dots on them. I know I do.

In any case, I love taking my well-detailed CB1100 to Cars and Coffee on a Sunday morning and hear someone say "Man, never saw a bike from the 70s look so clean!"
Gn6, although I would never part with my 2017, I would be very proud to own your bike. It is lovely.

If the stars align and someday we find ourselves sharing the same sky, I will detail both bikes while you make me laugh loudly while with tales of the magical powers of RLETS and obscure Star War references.

I also enjoy the way a CB1100 moves people to engage with we owners at coffee shops, town squares, and the like. It is a retro bike that magically brings back retro behavior where people stop looking at iPhones and reconnect with their surroundings and people. I have owned many motorcycles of different styles. I should be slightly embarrassed that I cannot recall the total number or even recall the look and feel of a few of them. All of them had good engineering, but some of them had no soul. As nice as those motorcycles were, none of them caused people to take break from their hectic life and live in the moment.

Yesterday, my work landed me in at 911 Dispatch Center which shares a parking lot with a Police Department. I rode the motorcycle there. As I dismounted the CB1100, five people gathered around to tell me that my motorcycle was an amazing “old” bike with the most beautiful gas tank they had ever seen. They asked some questions about the “custom color” and where I had all the “custom chrome parts made.” When I told them it was in its OEM state circa 2017, they were amazed. Life is good on a CB1100.

Thanks, an excellent read on a Monday morning.
 
Back
Top