Stock Exhaust Mod

SStan11_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
60db2008216bd7a55ed9d25f69fab295.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Stan what all did you do to it?
 
Exhaust videos need to be taken from a distance, not with phone cameras stuck right in the muffler, ideally with the camera stationary and the bike being ridden up and down the street while increasing the revs and shifting- I had NO idea what this bike sounds like even with your clip.
 
Thread starter
I used a regular drill bit and just removed the end cap. I re-installed the cap and took a quick video. As far as the sound, it is very low and deep, loud enough to hear until the wind noise at speed happens. Simple easy mod done with a drill and a regular drill bit. Sounds great and kept the stock look. Sorry I am not Steven Speilberg and I didn't shoot an academy award winning video, so suck it up.
 
SStan11_imp said:
I used a regular drill bit and just removed the end cap. I re-installed the cap and took a quick video. As far as the sound, it is very low and deep, loud enough to hear until the wind noise at speed happens. Simple easy mod done with a drill and a regular drill bit. Sounds great and kept the stock look. Sorry I am not Steven Speilberg and I didn't shoot an academy award winning video, so suck it up.
I thought the video was fine, it sounds good. I just wanted to know if you were,getting any decel popping while riding and letting off the throttle? Also, what size bit did you use?
 
Thread starter
I used a 1/2 inch drill bit, (the biggest one I had), and I do not hear any pops even in a low gear high rpm. It just sounds great. Real low tone but not real loud. Plus I can't stand the aftermarket pipes with the huge decals they stick on them. Screws up the look of the bike. Now I can keep the stock look and have a great sound.
 
SStan11_imp said:
I used a 1/2 inch drill bit, (the biggest one I had), and I do not hear any pops even in a low gear high rpm. It just sounds great. Real low tone but not real loud. Plus I can't stand the aftermarket pipes with the huge decals they stick on them. Screws up the look of the bike. Now I can keep the stock look and have a great sound.
Stan, thank you. Seems like it could be a very worthwhile mod considering I don't have an extra $500+ laying around for an Arrow. I was concerned about the decel popping because many bikes ago I had a Honda VTX 1300 that I did the same mod too. I had bad decel popping, had to block off the PAIR valves to stop it. Thanks again!!
 
SStan11_imp said:
I used a regular drill bit and just removed the end cap. I re-installed the cap and took a quick video. As far as the sound, it is very low and deep, loud enough to hear until the wind noise at speed happens. Simple easy mod done with a drill and a regular drill bit. Sounds great and kept the stock look. Sorry I am not Steven Speilberg and I didn't shoot an academy award winning video, so suck it up.
very cool Stan, and certainly a lot less expensive than a slip on ;)
 
SStan11_imp said:
I used a 1/2 inch drill bit, (the biggest one I had), and I do not hear any pops even in a low gear high rpm. It just sounds great. Real low tone but not real loud. Plus I can't stand the aftermarket pipes with the huge decals they stick on them. Screws up the look of the bike. Now I can keep the stock look and have a great sound.



Yosh logo is v. Legit
 
Nice work, Stan. Have to disagree with you on the full yoshimura exhaust, though. I think it completes the look of the bike. All the same, a few holes get you the sound that you like so kudos to you. Seems like a nice simple mod.
 
SStan11_imp said:
I used a regular drill bit and just removed the end cap. I re-installed the cap and took a quick video. As far as the sound, it is very low and deep, loud enough to hear until the wind noise at speed happens. Simple easy mod done with a drill and a regular drill bit. Sounds great and kept the stock look. Sorry I am not Steven Speilberg and I didn't shoot an academy award winning video, so suck it up.
LOL :clap: "just to have been nominated..."
SStan11_imp said:
Sorry, hate that emblem on the pipe. The exhaust looks great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loud, I am sure. Looks subjective of course, very old-school.

Problem with stock exhaust, can't hear it at all when shifting at high RPM. Otherwise great. Nice looking, too. Maybe those holes will give it just enough to be heard over the wind when shifting.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
SStan11_imp said:
I used a regular drill bit and just removed the end cap. I re-installed the cap and took a quick video. As far as the sound, it is very low and deep, loud enough to hear until the wind noise at speed happens. Simple easy mod done with a drill and a regular drill bit. Sounds great and kept the stock look. Sorry I am not Steven Speilberg and I didn't shoot an academy award winning video, so suck it up.
LOL :clap: "just to have been nominated..."
SStan11_imp said:
Sorry, hate that emblem on the pipe. The exhaust looks great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Loud, I am sure. Looks subjective of course, very old-school.

Problem with stock exhaust, can't hear it at all when shifting at high RPM. Otherwise great. Nice looking, too. Maybe those holes will give it just enough to be heard over the wind when shifting.
actually, not as loud as you might think. In regard to subjectivity, this bike is insanely quiet no matter what exhaust. My triumph was way louder - and the sportster i had - forget a bout it...
 
Have you guys seen any change in gas mileage since you drilled out the muffler?

Or any change in the way the spark plugs look? (rich or lean)
 
Just completed the mod, the bike has a nice low rumble at idle. It sounds very nice going through the lower gears till wind noise over comes motor noise. Can't beat it for a no cost mod!!
 
Back
Top